News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 05, 2015, 01:10:17 PM
Yeah I was wondering why there were scenes I never saw before (I have yet to see end of Evangelion...  Yeah Yeah I'm a bad person, so sue me.) plus,  after thinking about it, I don't think mid 90s western television would even have a trailer for anime...let alone a 4 min one.

Sent from your mom.
Definitely not. It was billed as a kids cartoon when it first aired in the states... :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

kilodelta

Knights of Sidonia... more like the Knights of Sin...

Anyway... good show. I like the theme too.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Shiranu

Ghost in the Shell. Let's do this.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

doorknob

I subscribe and pay for chrunchy roll.

I've been watching diabolic lovers II.

I don't like how the Japanese glamorize being abused. Sure the men are sexy but they don't have to be dicks about it.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: doorknob on December 08, 2015, 07:19:04 PM
I subscribe and pay for chrunchy roll.

I've been watching diabolic lovers II.

I don't like how the Japanese glamorize being abused. Sure the men are sexy but they don't have to be dicks about it.
I don't watch nearly enough anime to have a Crunchy Roll subscription, but I still have one for some damn reason.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

doorknob

Paying the 6 or 7 dollars I forget which a month for commercial free anime is worth it.

I don't regret making the commitment. And I got to watch SAO as it came out in japan. Pretty daggone awesome.

dtq123

(Been Looking for this thread...)

Totally not me >_>
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

doorknob

Not to harp on a dead subject but I'm still obsessed with diabolik lovers. I must be a masochist! I mean 10 sexy vampires is pretty awesome! But what's not awesome is having your blood drained constantly. Even the heroine in the show, if she didn't have a demon heart planted in her, it's pretty clear she would have died by now. They keep sucking and sucking her dry!

I just wish the heroine would grow a back bone and tell them all to fuck off! I keep waiting for her to turn into queen bitch and kill them all but it never happens!

I've been reading more of the story. It's a really good story and they don't even scratch the surface in the anime. They leave little hints but if you didn't play the games or read the books you probably wouldn't notice.  And since all the books and games are in japanese I'm sure many americans didn't.

One final note. I know no one will know what I'm referring too but I have to comment.

So far the best thing that happens in the anime is when Azusa burns Kanato's teddy bear! I was laughing maniacally for days over it! He deserved it the little shit!

PickelledEggs

Recently saw Gurren Lagan for the first time (yes, I know. why did I take so long? IDK)

Also watched Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood. Also very good, but season 4 seemed to end quite quickly and without conclusion. It ended right on the episode where Al was and his father trapped Pride while the rest went to take care of The father? But they didn't show a conclusion, as far as I'm aware. Does Netflix cut this show short or something?

stromboli

Ghost in the Shell and Akira still rank high in my book, dated or not. The Ghost series on the cartoon network was one of the best ever. I have always been interested in animation, dating back to Ralph Bakshi and his wildly good/bad presentations. Fire and Ice- using Frank Frazetta art was very good, though too adult for most audiences. Wizards was also good, but Bakshi ruined his work with a lot of really bad animation inserted among the quality stuff, which dramatically cheapened it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Bakshi

Fire and Ice

Wizards

Wizards was a far future, post apocalyptic story that combined elements of fantasy along with concepts of mind control by using ancient Nazi film clips to coerce populations into submission. It was an idea ahead of its time, but Bakshi's goofy take on animation didn't help.

Fire and Ice was too adult, having scantily clad women and warriors- think Conan the Barbarian- to reach a big audience,although it was a beautifully done piece.

It always pissed me off that Bakshi could come up with really great ideas and then ruin it with cheap or cheesy animation.

But if you are looking for conan-esque screen shots, Fire and Ice is a good choice. I was always a fan of Frazetta. See also Vampirella

If you can get your hands on some vintage Vampirella, very good art and reading. I wish I had kept all the volumes I had, and the underground comics available on the East Coast when in the Navy.

I had some original Robert Crumb and Gilbert Shelton and gave it away. Yes, I'm stupid.

PickelledEggs

FIRE AND ICE!! I keep forgetting to watch that. Oh man. It's been on my to-watch list for ages now...

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgT6MxOURQ

My roommate talked me into watching Seraph of the End.  Pretty standard shonen show, but it surprised me with a couple really likable characters and some intrigue to balance out the action.  The first episode is a wham episode, it kinda slows down towards the middle, but it gets great towards the season finale.

stromboli

with Fire and Ice you have to remember it is pre-CGI animation and dated, but just the Frazetta back drops and the feel it gives the movie makes it worth the effort. Frazetta was a pioneer illustrator and many that came after owe him a big debt.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on January 13, 2016, 11:14:44 AM
with Fire and Ice you have to remember it is pre-CGI animation and dated, but just the Frazetta back drops and the feel it gives the movie makes it worth the effort. Frazetta was a pioneer illustrator and many that came after owe him a big debt.
I like pre-cgi. Some of the best animation work is from that era.
Plus, Frazetta was a genius.