News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 27, 2014, 02:28:13 AMand had such amazing character development.
In a total downward spiral, which is part of why it makes me so ill. The other part is just how much I connected with the characters in the beginning. By the end of the show, it's like you can just feel your proverbial soul dying.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 27, 2014, 02:31:42 AM
In a total downward spiral, which is part of why it makes me so ill. The other part is just how much I connected with the characters in the beginning. By the end of the show, it's like you can just feel your proverbial soul dying.

I think that's part of the reason I liked it. The level of shit I was feeling afterwards was so intense that it was poetic.

Not to the degree of post-Elfen Lied though... for me After NGE, I got over it fairly quick. Maybe a day. I felt like complete shit after Elfen Lied for at least a week. That was a life changer for me. Really made me think about things....

kilodelta

I haven't been feeling depressed enough lately. So, I put Elfen Lied at the top of my Netflix queue. You will hear no end to it if I don't end up crying in my beer.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PickelledEggs

Quote from: kilodelta on September 08, 2014, 11:55:35 PM
I haven't been feeling depressed enough lately. So, I put Elfen Lied at the top of my Netflix queue. You will hear no end to it if I don't end up crying in my beer.
Watch Angel Beats if that doesn't work. At the end of that I had to ring out the tears from my shirt.

GrinningYMIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5xz8alVfo

Main theme from my favorite Anime, old as hell now too. But it was a good show back in the day, even if the movie killed fuck all everyone, it was retconned anyway
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Just started watching Kill la Kill.

It's immediately obvious that the same people who made Gurren Lagann made Kill la Kill.  There's a huge emphasis on the Rule of Cool to the exclusion of all else, which I have mixed feelings about.  But it's exciting and funny, and it hurries along at a snappy pace, even though the plot is pretty weak and I could live without the copious fanservice.  The art style is all over the place from really realistic scenery for the establishing shots to your basic anime style for the characters to that really strange sketchy style that Gurren Lagann was famous for during battles.  For example, an otherwise blue sky will turn yellow or blood red with swirling red clouds during a heated confrontation.  Art Shift galore.

I like the show, but it is waaay out of my comfort zone.  If you like randomness, over-the-top fights, and underboob, this is the show for you.

AllPurposeAtheist

See? I just knew when I was a kid that someday cartoons like Speed Racer would become a growth industry geared toward geeky fuckers who will never get laid. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 03, 2014, 02:06:39 AM
Just started watching Kill la Kill.

It's immediately obvious that the same people who made Gurren Lagann made Kill la Kill.  There's a huge emphasis on the Rule of Cool to the exclusion of all else, which I have mixed feelings about.  But it's exciting and funny, and it hurries along at a snappy pace, even though the plot is pretty weak and I could live without the copious fanservice.  The art style is all over the place from really realistic scenery for the establishing shots to your basic anime style for the characters to that really strange sketchy style that Gurren Lagann was famous for during battles.  For example, an otherwise blue sky will turn yellow or blood red with swirling red clouds during a heated confrontation.  Art Shift galore.

I like the show, but it is waaay out of my comfort zone.  If you like randomness, over-the-top fights, and underboob, this is the show for you.
Yeah, I recently gave Kill la Kill the 3-Episode-Test. I'm still deciding if I want to continue. On the one hand, it's pretty good "turn your brain off" entertainment, looks cool, pretty funny. On the other hand, I could definitely do without, like, 90% of the fanservice in the show.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

I could not stand Gurren Laggen, disliked it with a passion (just to blow your heads a bit more, I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was unbelievably over-rated and did not like it either...)... I would probably not like Kill la Kill then?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 03, 2014, 10:08:13 PM
I could not stand Gurren Laggen, disliked it with a passion (just to blow your heads a bit more, I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was unbelievably over-rated and did not like it either...)... I would probably not like Kill la Kill then?
Imagine Gurren Lagann minus the mecha but with about 40% more insanity.  Hijiri Byakuren is completely correct that it is turn your brain off entertainment.  But it is very flashy and entertaining.

Hydra009

Just finished Kill La Kill.  Very good for what it is.  Insanely silly and stupid plot yet friggin' awesome at the same time.  I don't know how to describe it.  Someone had to have been on some serious drugs to make this show.

That said, I actually really liked the characters.  I would've really enjoyed the show even if it was just a couple of high school students going to class without any fantastic elements whatsoever.  Hot-blooded, rebellious transfer student meets the school's stern, iron-willed leader and a fellow classmate in the form of a lovable genki girl and cloudcuckoolander extraordinaire.  That would be entertaining all by itself.  Throw in just these outrageous action scenes, and it's definitely a keeper.  Can't wait for another season.

PickelledEggs

Underboob? You have my attention.

Sent from your mom

Hydra009

Yeah, there's a ridiculous amount of nudity, which sort of makes sense given the plot, but even so, I think they overdid it.  I'm as far from a puritan as they get, but imho, it got to the point of being distracting and slightly off-putting.

Nudity is like salt, it's great in small doses, but going crazy with it can ruin the meal.

PickelledEggs

Just watched Tokyo Ghoul....

It was good but...
I need time to process it.... lol

eylul

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 23, 2014, 01:37:15 AM
Just watched Tokyo Ghoul....

It was good but...
I need time to process it.... lol
I saw it on an online video site and its not finished yet. How many episodes? Is it over?