News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Mr.Obvious, September 04, 2023, 06:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

I could have sworn we had one of these. But for the life of me, i can't find the thread.

Opened up the e-reader again. Still had LOTR on there.
I've read that book/those books three times prior.
Once in dutch and twice in english.
And yes, english is the far superior version.

First time reading the digital version :p.
E readers are less enjoyable than a book, honestly. But it is alright. And it has allowed me to get a few books from my childhood i could otherwise not find anywhere.
Like 'coriolis, the stormplanet'. Which is pure nostalgia for me qnd which i will soon read again, i think. It was my first scyfy book.
Might buy a digital copy of 'wasp' while i am at it. Another scyfy classic. And maybe the tschai quadrology . Which i recommend to any scyfy fan.

Anyways... i love the LOTR movies. Always will. But the books... they can't be surpassed. Tolkien's care for and in his writing is just so elegant... the slower burn of the story works so well. And with the paths frodo and his friends take, with the battle of pelennor fields, more focus on tertiary characters in a fleeting yet believeable manner, ... the whole experience in the books feels so much richer and believeable.

And of course, tom bombadil. Who was a complete surprise when i first read the fellowship only after watching the first film.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm flogging through the "Destroyer of Worlds" quintet of books. Finally in the fifth one. Amazingly dense material, quite well done.

Has anyone else read ALL the Well of Souls books?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I've gotten lazy lately, so I've taken to listening to audiobooks on YouTube. I've been through several in the last few weeks. Right now I'm listening to a Jack Reacher novel. I've recently listened to Hitchens read his book God is Not Great, Dawkins reading his book, and I heard Freud's book, The Future of an Illusion.

Then I listened to some really good Dick Francis novels, so now I'm on to Lee Child.

🤓
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 04, 2023, 06:51:40 PMI'm flogging through the "Destroyer of Worlds" quintet of books. Finally in the fifth one. Amazingly dense material, quite well done.

Has anyone else read ALL the Well of Souls books?

Can't say i read any. What are they about?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 05, 2023, 01:01:09 AMCan't say i read any. What are they about?
Destroyer of Worlds (DoW)or Well of Souls (WoS)?

DoW is set "five hundred years before Ringworld". It's a complex mosaic of competing civilizations and Byzantine politics at a galactic level. Nessus, the original Pierson's Puppeteer, is heavily involved. Written by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner. (Several other books have this title, be advised.)

Well of Souls was created by a race that the Creator created. The Markovians evidently created all the races in the galaxy, by meeting at Midnight at the Well of Souls. (But it's actually not that simple.) Jack L. Chalker is frightening at times, he's a genius at creating alien races and then putting them in deep shit for your entertainment.  ("The Run to Chaos Keep", for example.) How does the Titanic relate to the end of the universe? Read on. 
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

This is a story written by the same guy who made Charlie the Unicorn and Llamas With Hats. It's got his usual sense of humor, though toned down a bit, as well as the morbidity that tends to creep into some of his videos. I'm not quite finished with it yet, but it's pretty interesting so far.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of Echo Burning, by Lee Child.
I thought I'd read it before, but if I did it must have been a very long time ago, because I didn't remember any of it.
At least it wasn't read by an AI, which usually don't pronounce all of the words and names correctly.
It was, of course, a very well written book, and I enjoyed it tremendously.
🤠
God Not Found

Primal

Napoleon. A Life. By Andrew Roberts.

That great emperor is my hero.

Unbeliever

My friend, Terry, gave me the book Heat 2, recently. I hadn't seen the first movie, Heat, but I did manage to find it on YouTube and watched it so I'd have some idea what the book was about.
The movie was pretty good. How could you possibly go wrong with Deniro and Pacino?
The book starts off about where the first movie ended, but then I think it's going to turn into a prequel.
I expect to enjoy it. I'll let you know if I do.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

I'm listening to a guy read it while I'm reading the book. First time I've ever done it this way, I expect it to be an interesting experience. 🤓
God Not Found

the_antithesis

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I remember reading that about 40 years ago.  Very enjoyable read!
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Very close on the date.

QuoteFootfall is a 1985 science fiction novel by American writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. The book depicts the arrival of members of an alien species called the Fithp that have traveled to the Solar System from Alpha Centauri in a large spacecraft driven by a Bussard ramjet. Their intent is conquest of the planet Earth.

They call in a bunch of SciFi authors. A certain Mr. Anson was among them. [wink]
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Now I'm listening to George Carlin read his book, Brain Droppings.  It's pretty hilarious! 😄
God Not Found