News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Mr.Obvious, September 04, 2023, 06:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I'm listening, on YouTube, to the audiobook version of The Fungus, something I read about 30 years ago. It's scary as hell, much more than silly stuff like vampires or werewolves or ghosts, or any of that other supernatural crap.
😱
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Dune Messiah. The movie should be interesting.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Primal

The Holy Bible...

Just kidding.

Unbeliever

The Wholly Babble? 🤣
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm reading the whorls on the bottom of somebody's foot. Purely platonic, of course.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Have you ever read When Whorls Collide? 🤓
God Not Found

the_antithesis

I read that and I stubbed my toe.

Gawdzilla Sama

There's a manual for reading those whorls. It's called The Game's A Foot.
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

But there are three feet in the yard, Jeffery Dahmer.

Mr.Obvious

Bought an ebook version of ´the shining´. Heard it differs from the film substantially. Heard most prefer the movie over the book, but think the book is pretty damn good too. Here is to hoping.
It is starting off well, in any case
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Dune Messiah. Evidently Herbert wanted to show the dangers of despotism. It opens with the peripheral groups from the first book having a conclave with the intent of unseating the Maudi. Empress(?) Irulan is deep into the game.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Finished the shining. Loved it. Honestly, didnt think it would live up to the movie. But it iq just as great, in a different way.
It iq also strange, to know the story in one way and see it veer off into something else. I do suggest it, to fans of the movie.

Still rereading the lord of the rings. But my ereader is acting up. Not sure what i need to do to be able to read it again. Need to reaffirm that i already purchased it or something.

In the meanwhile, i was given the kyoshi duology from the ATLA-universe. And that is really shaping up nicely.
Am now in 'the rise of kyoshi'.
F.C. Yee has a writing style that really hits the spot for me.
I'll be checking out if he has any other books i can pick up.

Gawdzilla Sama

Project Hail Mary, Andy Weir. Heavy on science, even surpassing The Martian. Defo a nerd-a-thon.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

The rise of kyoshi is turning out to be a real pageturner. I am about in the final fifth of the book. I'll have finished it in less than a week, a week tops, it seems.

But: you really need to have watched 'avatar the last airbender' first.
There are nods and inside jokes, like any good prequel has. But it also relies heavily on you understanding how this world works. It goes into it, sure, but you will really benefit from the visual image of the superpowers in this world.

@Shiranu , if you have not read it yet: i suggest it to you wholeheartedly.
I remember a few years back you said you preferred tlok over atla. And while i vehemently dissagree, this prequel takes one of the reasons you listed and actually does it in a good way.
I won't say what. Wouldn't want to spoil you. But it has some good characterbuilding and storytelling to boot. (Which i also found lacking in most of 'tlok'.)

Gawdzilla Sama

16 Roger Zelazny Books.
PZ Myers