News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Germany is beginning to beef up their own military, something they had renounced since the fall of the wall, and that both neither Trump nor Obama could convince them to do.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on February 27, 2022, 07:54:07 PM
Germany is beginning to beef up their own military, something they had renounced since the fall of the wall, and that both neither Trump nor Obama could convince them to do.

In Japan, Abe suggested that Japan start hosting US nukes, which is a hell of a reversal for Japan.  Abe doesn't hold office anymore, and the idea isn't a good one imho for several reasons.  But that this idea is even being discussed at all shows the depths of the outrage towards Russia globally and the war-footing stance the world is in now.

Hydra009

Ukraine and Russia agree to peace talks (normally, peace talks are performed during a ceasefire but we live in interesting times)

QuoteThe announcement of direct peace talks, on the fourth day of all-out war in Ukraine, signaled that the Kremlin was feeling some pressure and potentially miscalculated that Ukraine’s military and government would swiftly collapse.

Putin had long refused direct negotiations with Ukraine to settle the eight-year war in Donbass, which Russia organized and financed. And initially, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy had rebuffed the offer of peace talks, saying Moscow had set preconditions that effectively amounted to Ukraine’s total surrender.

A spokesman for Zelenskiy said that the answer to Moscow was the same expletive that Ukrainian marines used to insult a Russian warship before they were all reportedly killed. But by Sunday afternoon, there was a deal to meet at a checkpoint near the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, and Ukrainian officials said all preconditions were dropped.
Russia initially set preconditions tantamount to surrender before talks.  Now, Russia no longer offers preconditions.  Very interesting.

And Zelenskiv's rebuff is pure gold.  :D

Shiranu

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on February 27, 2022, 09:29:37 AM
It always gives me a laugh when any particular ordinary citizen posting on forums uses the pronoun -we- when they are talking about their country.

We - pronoun - A. "used as the subject of a verb to refer to a group including the speaker and at least one other person:"

B2. "used as the subject of a verb to refer to all people, especially when considered as a group:"
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Shiranu

First, disclaimer; probably doesn't need to be said, but take anything the Ukrainian gov't says about it's heroes with a grain of salt.

Second, I'm going to completely ignore my first point and believe this without a second of hesitation because it ultimately doesn't actually matter if it's one pilot or twenty.

https://twitter.com/Ibleed2toneblu/status/1497997855990157317

(Accidently cropped it, but source is the official Ukrainian Defense Ministery twitter)

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on February 28, 2022, 12:00:31 AMFirst, disclaimer; probably doesn't need to be said, but take anything the Ukrainian gov't says about it's heroes with a grain of salt.
Even if it's not 100% real, modern wars are won more by PR and pressuring governments to take specific actions than by open combat.  I believe that there is such a thing as good propaganda, one that leads people into bolstering democratic governments and sapping cooperation with dictators.  And then, perhaps the lie can become the reality.

If I were to tell you that there's a bloodthirsty bear battering at your door and he's bulletproof and quick and you are doomed, what would you do?  If instead, I told you that he is scared of loud noises and fire, that you can stab his eyes with a kitchen knife and he will run away, even if I do not know any of this for a fact, it might encourage you to make it so.

Shiranu

Just realized this is from 2016, but just for some positivity and non-war related stuff that's still Ukraine related...

Traditional floral crowns and outfits of the Ukrainian people. Absolutely beautiful, and just from a guestimation... probably dating back to Ukraine's pagan roots.

Putin insists there is no such thing as Ukrainian culture, just Russian, so in what small way I can I am trying to learn about their culture and have started trying to read a little bit of the language... just as a middle finger to him.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/1643/Ukrainian-Women-Bring-Back-Traditional-Floral-Crowns-To-Show-National-Pride

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 27, 2022, 08:45:42 PM
In Japan, Abe suggested that Japan start hosting US nukes, which is a hell of a reversal for Japan.  Abe doesn't hold office anymore, and the idea isn't a good one imho for several reasons.  But that this idea is even being discussed at all shows the depths of the outrage towards Russia globally and the war-footing stance the world is in now.

Probably a response to Russia, China, North Korea being buddies

Hydra009

Bad Monday for Putin Russian advance slowed, Russian economy in turmoil, sanctions mount

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Zelensky addresses Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7GY1Xg6X20

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish…

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 28, 2022, 07:28:26 AM
https://youtu.be/fG9pxkZXiTw

Thought this vid was well spoken.

Indeed. Things she said at the beginning about 'shredding' the economy, any policy for serving people and creating organised crime [for control, imo]...etc. is what I was trying to say in a deleted rant post yesterday. Corruption, crime is a very good weapons for dictators. Crime is a perfect tool for fear. Because that's how oligarchies thrive. It's a hierarchy from top to bottom.

But I disagree with the idea that the invasion attempt of Ukraine is a result of the 'resentment caused by failure' part. Dictators do not give a fuck about failing in this sense and manner. It's all about taking everything possible, building an empire on fear for power. People are just canon fodder, but nothing else. That's why the right wing and religious mentality cannot administrate any countries anymore. Period.

So I don't believe Putin has ever accepted the current borders. This was just a matter of time. Do they really think Putin -or his supporters- think he has failed? He is just mad he found this kind of resistance, esp. considering the latest shift in politics wide around the world. Mainly, Brexit, Trump...etc.

And this is not just Russia. Small or big countries, same deal is going on everywhere in Asia and Middle East. It's just, save a couple they cannot afford to do this.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

So we've gotten to the part where the Russian advance has ground to a halt, Ukraine has been making something of a counteroffensive, everyone and their brother has divested from Russia, Putin is begging for no more sanctions while at the same time threatening to end Ukraine's existence as a sovereign state (this dude is like a couple months from swallowing a gun or getting strung up like Mussolini), oh and both Georgia and Moldova applied for EU membership.

We certainly live in interesting times.