News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Election Thread 2024

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, January 06, 2024, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

It seems to me I can actually feel the national energy over the presumptive nomination of Harris. It seems like the media and the outpouring of support is remarkably intense. I don't remember sensing this over any other candidate in my lifetime. The only people I hear pissing and moaning over it are Republicans, and of course, that is intense also, but that's always expected.

Dark Lightning

While I'm not ecstatic about Harris, I'm quite relieved that Biden has stepped aside. The Democrat ticket gained a lot of ground that day. As for all the noise regarding her alleged inexperience, at least she hasn't made noises about further tearing down our institutions and dragging the US back to the Dark Ages. She'll probably do a good job.

Mr.Obvious

She has been vice president to the oldest president in history, for 3 and a half years.

I would hope she has been prepared for what to do if joe biden suddenly were ro leave this mortal plane.
I would like to think, she does have the experience necessary.
Just a thought.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 25, 2024, 08:11:18 PMWhile I'm not ecstatic about Harris, I'm quite relieved that Biden has stepped aside. The Democrat ticket gained a lot of ground that day.
Biden stepping aside is probably a large factor in the excitement. Democrats now have a chance. Where before the feeling was that we are a path of certain death. The lid of a pressure cooker of despair was lifted off and released an explosion of hope. I'm sure that is a big part. After I posted last night on this, I turned to an evening headline of the NYT, and there was an article on this very topic.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 26, 2024, 01:44:51 AMShe has been vice president to the oldest president in history, for 3 and a half years.

I would hope she has been prepared for what to do if joe biden suddenly were ro leave this mortal plane.
I would like to think, she does have the experience necessary.
Just a thought.
I would hope so too. But President is going to be a new role for anyone who takes the job. For all her smarts, energy, and goals, she stepped into the expected vice president role of do nothing figurehead, which must be hard for anyone with the energy she demonstrated as an up and coming  California firebrand. This makes it hard to access her actual ability as president, but I think we will have a better feel for her qualifications by the convention.

SGOS

As far as a behind the scenes figurehead goes, JD Vance seems to be causing problems for Trump, as he appears to be a take charge personality. In the past, aggressive vice presidents (think Sara Palin) can create chaos for the plans and hopes of a presidential nominee. Although Palin was not as smart as Vance I don't think.

aitm

Donnie not letting ANYBODY take the stage away from HIM, Vance will find out soon enough he is in the running simply because the constitution requires a VP. Donnie would do away with that if he could. There is only one master in Donnie's mind.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

David Brooks, Opinion Columnist at NYT, rips Harris as "deeply flawed" in an opinion article listing strengths and weaknesses. While the article presents itself as objective and thoughtful, the title of the piece, "Making Peace With the Kamala Nomination", doesn't reflect that he clearly doesn't like her as a nominee. This also seemed to be the public reaction in 2020, when she bowed out of the campaign involving several other not so inspiring candidates, and the support ended up with a not so inspiring Joe Biden.

I'm not sure I agree with Brooks' assessment. What he suggested sounded to me like unverifiable bias, but what does bother me was her reception from the public in 2020. Has that changed or not? It's hard to tell right now, because the public seems to be engaged in a hysterical joy that comes from a place I don't fully understand. Will this carry through to November?

Never-the-less, putting aside my most analytical thoughts, I like this woman. She seems like she would be a handful for Donald Trump. Maybe that's an important factor, or maybe it's not a factor at all.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on July 26, 2024, 07:11:42 AMI would hope so too. But President is going to be a new role for anyone who takes the job. For all her smarts, energy, and goals, she stepped into the expected vice president role of do nothing figurehead, which must be hard for anyone with the energy she demonstrated as an up and coming  California firebrand. This makes it hard to access her actual ability as president, but I think we will have a better feel for her qualifications by the convention.

Well, inll just add that experience isn´t everything.
Orange man technically has four years of experience.
I think he would still be a little worse of a president than a chimp with rabiës.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 26, 2024, 08:55:18 AMOrange man technically has four years of experience.
It's more like he has four years as president to put on his resume. But most of that 4 years was spent as a narcissistic  bully, followed by 4 years as a poor loser. I don't see how his "experience" has added to his abilities to serve the people.

Hydra009

Hydra009

He claimed that every house he visited had Trump crap all over it.  When he lies, he tends to lie big, as no doubt comes naturally to the least racist person ever and the most innocent defendant ever.

While this is probably some weird sort of positive self-talk among conservatives and nothing serious or substantial...maybe double the police force near Congress and the White House just in case.

ferdmonger

Then again it may be true that every house he visited had Trump shit all over it because every house he visited had Trump shit all over it.