A Fertilized Egg Isn't a Person

Started by FrankDK, June 27, 2013, 02:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "Mermaid"It was recently explained to me that children are not ours. God gives them to us and entrusts us with them. They are God's children. BC is wrong because it keeps God from giving you the children He wants to give you. It is not our job or place to intervene. Abortion is wrong because it kills the children God gives you. If God gives you a child, it is your responsibility to take care of His child.
:-k So every child is his son/daughter? Way to dilute the importance of Jesus to nil!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "Hakurei Reimu"
Quote from: "Mermaid"It was recently explained to me that children are not ours. God gives them to us and entrusts us with them. They are God's children. BC is wrong because it keeps God from giving you the children He wants to give you. It is not our job or place to intervene. Abortion is wrong because it kills the children God gives you. If God gives you a child, it is your responsibility to take care of His child.
:-k So every child is his son/daughter? Way to dilute the importance of Jesus to nil!

HR, you're forgetting that Jesus was also God, while still being his own son simultaneously. :D Because that makes wonderful sense! :rollin:
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "FrankDK"A Fertilized Egg Isn't a Person

No more than a fertilised chicken egg is a whole chicken.

That's all I ever have to say..........  "Is a fertilized chicken egg a chicken?"  
Because it's not. :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

That's all I ever have to say..........  "Is a fertilized chicken egg a chicken?"  
I demand congress ban partial fried eggs.. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"[
I demand congress ban partial fried eggs.. :shock:
But soft boiled eggs are OK!? Heathen!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "FrankDK"And even if they try to split hairs and claim that conception occurs at implantation, splitting of the zygote in monoplacental monozygotic twins occurs after implantation, so the argument still holds.
One pregnancy can result in birth of multiple persons, all that God needs to do is to breath in six, seven, eight, nine, or ten times (Yahoo, Brazil in 1946).
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Hydra009

Someday, I'd like to be part of an anti-abortion potluck lunch.  I'd bring a bunch of eggs and tell everyone I brought chicken.   :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Jason78

Can you imagine ordering a chicken in a restaurant and getting served with a fertilised egg?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Just think of the carnage at Waffle House and the other mass fertilized egg butchery's out there. You never see the anti abortion crowd picketing them, but we all know it's high time..  :x

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Jason78"Can you imagine ordering a chicken in a restaurant and getting served with a fertilised egg?
I would pay a chef top dollar to serve one of my fundie buddies one of those. That would be hilarious.

missingnocchi

Quote from: "FrankDK"> Except they dont say an egg becomes a human upon fertilization. They say human life begins at conception. In that minor wording difference lies the way out of your logic trap.

Not really.  Conception and fertilization are essentially the same.  This from the Free Dictionary:

con·cep·tion  (kn-spshn)
n.
a. Formation of a viable zygote by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; fertilization.
b. The entity formed by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; an embryo or zygote.

And even if they try to split hairs and claim that conception occurs at implantation, splitting of the zygote in monoplacental monozygotic twins occurs after implantation, so the argument still holds.

Besides, there are many claims, including those in anti-abortion laws, that state human life begins at fertilization:

http://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/artic ... otes2.html
Life Begins at Fertilization
The following references illustrate the fact that a new human embryo, the starting point for a human life, comes into existence with the formation of the one-celled zygote:

http://www.prolifephysicians.org/lifebegins.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... n/2058515/
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas legislators gave final passage to a sweeping anti-abortion measure Friday night, sending Gov. Sam Brownback a bill that declares life begins "at fertilization"

Frank

I think you misunderstood. He wasn't referring to the change from "fertilization" to "conception," he meant the change from "a human" to "human life." Twins can't be "a human," but they sure can be "human life."
What's a "Leppo?"

Mai Mariarti

watch "Through the Wormhole S04E02 When Does Life Begin"
You'll be surprised.

Colanth

Pro-lie viewpoint:

When God splits a fertilized egg in half (or thirds or ...), he makes sure that the person splits into multiple persons.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.