News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trump Versus Biden

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, July 03, 2020, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Democrats are doing an excellent job of building their case right now.  I think it will make a slight difference among voters, but very little with the leadership.  Their case at the moment is centered around the reasoning that you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, and they're making a much better case than I imagined they would on this issue.  It's very compelling, and makes a strong case that Trump has gone beyond his first amendment rights.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2021, 09:12:35 AMTrump Vs Biden is a dying thread now that Trump is gone.
He might be out of office and off Twitter, but he's far from gone.  The nation is still reeling from his attempted coup and charges are still being filed.  Trump's still facing impeachment, civil charges, and possibly criminal charges.  And Trump still has an iron grip on the Party - Republicans are feebly trying to define themselves as anything other than the cult of Trump.

Hydra009

Case in point: Michigan's top Republican says Jan 6th attack was a "hoax"

QuoteSenate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, in a video posted on YouTube of a meeting with Hillsdale County Republican Party officials, said of the Capitol insurrection in which five people died: "It was all staged."
Not the slightest bit accurate or logical, but it's convenient for the Party and displays loyalty to Daddy, and that's what's really important.

I dunno about you guys, but I see this sort of lie-making as a sign of incredible weakness - being so scared of the truth that one needs to manufacture a completely different reality where the Party doesn't look so bad.  It's an implicit admission that reality makes them look awful.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 10, 2021, 02:11:17 PM
I see this sort of lie-making as a sign of incredible weakness - being so scared of the truth that one needs to manufacture a completely different reality where the Party doesn't look so bad.  It's an implicit admission that reality makes them look awful.
incredible weakness and also desperation.  There is every reason to fear the truth for these guys.  They are leaders in the right wing party, many of whom opposed Trump 4 years ago, but who are now reduced to shivering pawns of a highly popular but deranged demigod, who four years before they thought was just a fool.  If they don't support Trump, they will lose what is the strongest, loudest, and largest group of the right wing populous Republican Party that has ever existed.  To face the truth openly at this point would be suicide.  Imagine them saying to their potential supporters that Trump lied to them, manipulated them and turned them into the laughing stock of over half the United States... like idiots.  This huge faction is already unhinged; They thought hanging Mike Pence sounded like a good idea.  They would turn those Senators out into the streets selling pencils from tin cups.

One of the problems with lying to people is getting caught, which except for a politician, is worse than making a mistake.  It's humiliating getting caught in a lie.  Making a mistake is just embarrassing.  So what do they do when their backs are against the wall after a lie?  They create more lies and fictional scenarios until an ordinary person doing the same thing would collapse in a panic of self deprecation.  But they don't panic.  They just lie until people finally throw up their hands and give them a pass... because they're Republican politicians, and it's what we have come to expect whether you are either on the left and in disgust, or the right where you are happy, because any means to an end.

Shiranu

The moment Lindsey Graham officially advertised to the world he sold his soul to the devil and is nothing but a pathetic husk of a man, completely and utterly void of even a shred of morality or integrity.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

"Offensive and absurd," is speaking to the base and rhetorical hyperbole. 

aitm

Of course they’ll let him walk We already knew that. Now we’ll have this type of shitshow every four years, or worse, now every two years between reps.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 11, 2021, 09:21:46 AM
Of course they’ll let him walk We already knew that. Now we’ll have this type of shitshow every four years, or worse, now every two years between reps.
One of their arguments was, "It's not constitutional and if we do this to Trump today, it will just become a thing we do to any future president."  But there is an exact opposite to that side of the coin too:  "If we let Trump get away with this today, why won't future presidents be inclined to pull the same shit?"  As far as "constitutional" is concerned, is fomenting insurrections "constitutional?"

But you are right.  We knew this was the way it would be, because we are entrenched in a system that is dying.  That it works at all is taken as some kind of ode to successful democracy, and therefore nothing needs to change.  Republicans don't want to give up the power to win anyway possible, even if it requires calling in the thugs to get it done.  So why would they punish Trump for inciting a riot?  They may need that again someday.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on February 11, 2021, 04:57:12 AM
Is it truly growing or does he merely wish us to believe that it's growing?  It's not like co-conspirators were ever tempted to render a guilty verdict in the first place.  As for offensive, I find it offensive that such weak and spineless idiots still wield great power.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on February 11, 2021, 04:57:12 AM

The moment Lindsey Graham officially advertised to the world he sold his soul to the devil and is nothing but a pathetic husk of a man, completely and utterly void of even a shred of morality or integrity.

I respectfully disagree.
This is no more than an echo of an echo of an echo. He's thrown out all his credibility and humanity and soul ages ago.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Graham doesn't just kiss Trump's ass, he French-kisses it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

By this logic, you shouldn't give CPR to someone who's choking or a blood transfusion to someone who's bleeding out.  If you see someone in a bad way, and your first inclination is to let them die, you might be either a sociopath or a Republican.

Mike Cl

'either a sociopath or a Republican'
Redundant--they are one in the same.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
By this logic, you shouldn't give CPR to someone who's choking or a blood transfusion to someone who's bleeding out.  If you see someone in a bad way, and your first inclination is to let them die, you might be either a sociopath or a Republican.
That was my first reaction, even before I read yours.  No I don't need those checks, but I know people that do, and need them badly.  What are their other issues?  Well, I'm not sure, but right now they need to eat and pay the rent so they can survive the winter.  After that, they can focus on those other issues.  I suspect Mr Ramsey's own other issues would require 10 times that $600 to solve, assuming he was broke and the checks came once a month.  Being broke is sadly the issue for too many people. If you're not broke and you can't see that, you've got issues.  Talk about being out of touch with people!

SGOS

I remember something Trump said in the first debate with Biden.  About that time people were alarmed by Republicans stuffing the Supreme Court using opposite arguments first not to allow a seating by a president late in his term, but then saying it was fine, as long as it was a Republican the next time it happened.  Trump said quite authoritatively, "Elections have consequences."  Hell, I even agreed with him on that one.  What he needs to understand right now, however, is that "Elections certainly do have consequences," but he suddenly doesn't believe that at all.