George Floyd and racial justice

Started by GSOgymrat, May 30, 2020, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Drunkenshoe requested that an American start a topic on George Floyd. I'll start the conversation but I don't have the experience or education to properly address the concerns of black Americans. With that caveat, my perception is that what is going on isn't new and is a consequence of systemic racial injustice that has gone on for hundreds of years and has never been resolved. Black Americans are under stress right now. They are dying of COVID-19 at three times the rate of white Americans. According to Pew Research, 44% of African Americans said in April that they or someone in their household experienced a job or wage loss due to the coronavirus pandemic. While under this stress, three major news stories were published: the killing of Ahmaud Arbery by two white men, a white woman in NYC utilizing law enforcement and race to threaten a black man, and the murder of George Floyd by law enforcement. This motivated people to protest for racial justice, which has escalated into violence in some cities. Because Americans are currently highly polarized, highly stressed and facing a presidential election in November, many people are going to use these incidents to reinforce their existing political narrative.

I was pleasantly surprised that the CEO where I work sent this email:

It saddens me greatly to have to write this message to you. By now, I’m sure you have seen the brutal, tragic news of yet another unarmed black man killed. George Floyd died Monday in Minneapolis, unable to breathe after a police officer held him down for seven minutes. This follows the recent death of Ahmaud Arbery, an unarmed black jogger who was chased and fatally shot by two white men in Georgia. These killings are only the latest in a long list of similar tragedies.

As a husband, father and son myself, I can’t even begin to imagine the pain these incidents have caused. I also know that, as a white man, I have never had to deal with prejudice, discrimination or systemic racism that puts me in danger or degrades my very humanity based on the color of my skin. Yet, across our country and right here at home â€" in 2020, no less â€" black men are frequently targeted and even endangered based on their skin color. These men are our family members, our co-workers, our patients and our friends.

This is not right, and I am compelled to stand up against this, both personally and on behalf of Cone Health. Last year, I joined the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion coalition and promised to not only advance diversity and inclusion within our organization but also to check my personal bias, speak up for others and show up for all. As we honor our values and our commitment to being right here with all people, I encourage you to commit to doing one or all of the following things to take a stand:

•   Educate yourself â€" In this information age, you can explore and learn about almost anything. Take some time to learn more about our country’s history with racism,  and the impacts that we still see today. Here’s a resource to get you started. 
•   Challenge bias and racism â€" If you see something, say something. Be a voice against racism, one conversation at a time -- whether it’s with your friends, your family members, or your co-workers. Remember: Your silence implies tolerance of the attitude or behavior.
•   Attend an upcoming virtual “Inclusion Circle” led by the Employee Assistance Counseling Program and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion that will serve as an outlet for employees to discuss their feelings of grief, hurt and concern. Please look for details soon.

As Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said,  “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Thank you for standing with us, taking action and living our values and brand promise by supporting racial justice for all. 

Munch

mayor of Atlanta speaks up. She makes some very good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVs8JXqLPs8

how is destroying the homes and businesses of african americans suppose to make america better for them? Anyone defending these violent protests needs to get their fucking heads checked.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

This link is of Atlanta police chief on the ground talking to protesters:

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1266528230778994688?s=19

I don't know how to embed this as a video.

Munch

yeah. People what things to change for the better there. These violent protests are not helping that however, its just making things worse.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

There was many a case of White people being killed by police, even unarmed women.  Happens every year.  It is how police are trained, to use force first and ask questions later ... they are sociopaths with a badge.  The police (in GB and US) are there to protect the Establishment, not the people.

Police brutality would still happen, even if every American was as Black as a fellow college student of mine, from a W African village (his father could afford to send him to college in America, because he was a chief, and had many wives working hard for him).  My mother would say, Jean (his first name) is so Black he is Dark Purple.

Yes, each time a White person is killed by police, we go to White neighborhoods, loot and burn them.  No?  "The madness of crowds" doesn't follow oh to convenient political ideologies.  It is psychological.  Drunkenshoe is indoctrinated in European ideologies (nothing wrong with that) but it is about as wrong a tool for understanding America as it would be in understanding the W African village Jean came from.

Justice?  Kill all the evil monkeys, no matter their skin color.  Genocide is the only way ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

What do you think would happen? There have never been any real protests in any period of history, anywhere around the world without riots or looting happening besides it. Unfortunately, this is how real protests look like. People die, buildings get burned down. Nobody 'defends' it. Nobody is defending it now. It's the usual outcome of a mass of people going out with rage.

You have never been in a protest in your life, have you? One person is enough for this to happen while tens of thousands go there with good intents. And with this particular issue, with a rage like this? What are they going to do, throw flowers around?

All the politicians are talking about the same thing because it is their job and they worry about the order. Nobody is trying to address these protests from a required point of view and trying to calm these people at least with a promise of justice.

Charged with third degree murder? Are you fucking kidding me? Third degree is manslaughter. This is NOT manslaughter, this is premediated murder with malicious intent. Manslaughter doesn't even include intent to kill. A 12 year old kid can tell the difference. Do you know the difference between manslaughter and first degree murder?

I swear, right wingers like those small annoying dogs. Yap yap yap dey're burniing down buildingsss yap yap yap... viooolence...yap yap yap...

On the other hand, can you even imagine for a second what would happen if a white man killed by a few black cops the way George Floyd was killed?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 30, 2020, 12:15:18 PM
yeah. People what things to change for the better there. These violent protests are not helping that however, its just making things worse.

In America, you join a political party, become a party activist, and work for change.  This is what they do in the UK too.  It is what is done in every civilized country.  Group justice aka mob violence, has never improved any society, ever.  Revolutions come when one establishment displaces a previous establishment.  In Turkey, usually a military coup.  There might be a bit of Terror during the transition, but you have to break eggs to make an omelet.  (massacre the Greeks in Smyrna in 1921)  Napoleon who grapeshot cannoned Parisien rioters would agree.  Lenin first got rid of his allies, the Anarchists.  Lenin got where he was thru German war plans.  Were the peasants in Russia unhappy?  They had plenty of reasons to.  But the Soviet Union was just a more modern way of being a %&$&& Russian.

@Drunkenshoe ... yes communism is the only way.  French/German communism is superior to Russian communism.  But the EU is going to be dominated by Chinese communism.  They can't stop kow towing ;-( (France 1940)  With Russian Nord Stream assistance ;-)  Yes, we are so White, we regularly string up Black folk like it is the 1920s.  It was the communists, who suggested that racial inequality in the US would be sufficiently brittle to achieve communist take over during the chaos.  This has been communist policy since before 1950.  But MLK wasn't a communist, he was a Christian Republican.  Even Malcolm X turned into an orthodox Muslim, and died for that.  The US isn't like France 1968 (now that colleges will be shut down for Covid).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on May 30, 2020, 12:15:18 PM

Oh you are living in another land of fake sense of security. How old were you during the London riots in 2011?

The airs you put on whenever something like this happens in the US is annoying the hell out of me. As if we don't know what kind of a shit hole you live in underneath all that posing and bullshit.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 30, 2020, 01:07:06 PM
Oh you are living in another land of fake sense of security. How old were you during the London riots in 2011?

The airs you put on whenever something like this happens in the US is annoying the hell out of me. As if we didn't know what kind of a shit hole you live in underneath all that pose and bullshit.

It is OK to hate the UK.  OK to hate the US.  But the US will help nuke Turkey some day (sad but true).  Simply because I will support the Greeks against your country.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on May 30, 2020, 01:03:36 PM
In America, you join a political party, become a party activist, and work for change.  This is what they do in the UK too.  It is what is done in every civilized country.  Group justice aka mob violence, has never improved any society, ever.  Revolutions come when one establishment displaces a previous establishment.  There might be a bit of Terror during the transition, but you have to break eggs to make an omelet.  Napoleon who grapeshot cannoned Parisien rioters would agree.  Lenin first got rid of his allies, the Anarchists.  Lenin got where he was thru German war plans.  Were the peasants in Russia unhappy?  They had plenty of reasons to.  But the Soviet Union was just a more modern way of being a %&$&& Russian.

Drunkenshoe ... yes communism is the only way.  French/German communism is superior to Russian communism.  But the EU is going to be dominated by Chinese communism.  They can't stop kow towing.  With Russian Nord Stream assistance ;-)

Not in the mood for your bullshit Baruch. Seriously.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 30, 2020, 01:09:28 PM
Not in the mood for your bullshit Baruch. Seriously.

Remember Armenia?  Yes, they were collaborating with Russia during WWI.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

White people don’t riot because they have too much to lose and nothing to gain. They are still unconvinced that blacks have faced entire lives battling racism in many forms, some minor but every cut stings.

White people can never understand systemic racism, they can’t. How could they?

What I take from all the whites screaming “that’s not protesting that’s rioting!” is they admit their own cowardice, they admit, if they were in the other shoes they would simply walk along holding a sign...day after day, month after month, year after year. No matter how many of their family or friends were set upon, they would do nothing. Cowards.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 30, 2020, 02:36:01 PM
White people don’t riot because they have too much to lose and nothing to gain. They are still unconvinced that blacks have faced entire lives battling racism in many forms, some minor but every cut stings.

White people can never understand systemic racism, they can’t. How could they?

What I take from all the whites screaming “that’s not protesting that’s rioting!” is they admit their own cowardice, they admit, if they were in the other shoes they would simply walk along holding a sign...day after day, month after month, year after year. No matter how many of their family or friends were set upon, they would do nothing. Cowards.

Good thing Whites are middle class cowards.  Or the KKK will rise again ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteWhite people don’t riot because they have too much to lose and nothing to gain. They are still unconvinced that blacks have faced entire lives battling racism in many forms, some minor but every cut stings.

Watch the videos of the riots... more than half of them are white.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

I don't think that's what he means.