Islamic father slashes his 17 year old sons throat for being gay

Started by Munch, November 07, 2019, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on November 08, 2019, 04:39:31 AM
The stereotype of religious people being scimitar wielding nut jobs ... is current in certain Western societies.  I suppose there are Anglos with the stereotype that the folks who murdered the Mormon family are typical Aztecs.

I appreciate so much of what the Enlightment and subsequent rational societies have given us, but the idea that we must throw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to religion, as well as the shift from ethics and guidance-based philosophy to a more "rational" (and generally useless) philosophy (which I think has many roots in the push to remove spirituality from society) has done an amazing amount of damage.

And holy mother of run on sentences...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I would point out that the organized style of warfare was invented in the middle eastern areas.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Only by religious (or otherwise political & cultural) indoctrination would this be possible. If you stop thinking and submit to bronze-age myths, is anyone really surprised that this is the result?

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 08, 2019, 09:49:43 AM
I would point out that the organized style of warfare was invented in the middle eastern areas.

You prove in Akkad, how many enemy have fallen, by collecting and counting their severed penises.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 08, 2019, 09:20:45 AM
I appreciate so much of what the Enlightment and subsequent rational societies have given us, but the idea that we must throw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to religion, as well as the shift from ethics and guidance-based philosophy to a more "rational" (and generally useless) philosophy (which I think has many roots in the push to remove spirituality from society) has done an amazing amount of damage.

And holy mother of run on sentences...

Enlightenment ... educated European killers.  So you agree then, that stereotypes are valid?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 08, 2019, 10:14:34 AM
Only by religious (or otherwise political & cultural) indoctrination would this be possible. If you stop thinking and submit to bronze-age myths, is anyone really surprised that this is the result?

One of my new neighbors got arrested by the cops at gunpoint last night.  Perhaps over domestic disturbance.  Which religion shall we blame that on?  Worship of Bacchus perhaps?  Or as multiple people have posted here earlier, some people are shits some of the time?

People who's POV is mostly informed by SciFi shouldn't boast.  Borg anyone?  But I won't digress into the Labor/Democrat platform.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on November 08, 2019, 10:31:14 AM
Enlightenment ... educated European killers.  So you agree then, that stereotypes are valid?

I think there is, generally, a strong shred of truth to them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 08, 2019, 02:18:34 PM

I never asked my Lakota spirit warrior neighbor, if he ever did the Sun dance.  Would think it insensitive to ask.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on November 08, 2019, 02:18:34 PM
Just lets us know what breed of killer they were.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on November 08, 2019, 10:35:10 AM
One of my new neighbors got arrested by the cops at gunpoint last night.  Perhaps over domestic disturbance.  Which religion shall we blame that on?  Worship of Bacchus perhaps?  Or as multiple people have posted here earlier, some people are shits some of the time?

People who's POV is mostly informed by SciFi shouldn't boast.  Borg anyone?  But I won't digress into the Labor/Democrat platform.
Tired whataboutism. Got no better tricks up your sleeve?

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 08, 2019, 07:02:00 PM
Tired whataboutism. Got no better tricks up your sleeve?

People are 21st century barbarians, not 18th century barbarians.  But if you want to be tribal, choose your tribe, and exterminate all others.  That is the sheeple way.  That is how the Elite control you.  Or you can treat each crime as individual events to be punished individually.  Even the Poor tribe vs the Rich tribe is ... control.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Kill another human, and your honor is restored.  Before that, your honor was in the shitter because of someone else, not because you happen to be an asshole.

Baruch

Real men hunt and fish ;-)  War is man hunting, the best kind.  Part of what separates most men from most women.  Today however, you don't have to be an alpha male to survive.  You can be one of these plow pushing Sumerians.  And animal husbandry, where you are friends with your prey?  What is that?  My mother circa 1930s learned ... don't be friendly with the goat, because it is tomorrow's supper.  Dogs too, if you are a chichuahua eating Mexica.  INCELS started to take over, about 5000 years ago.

Shiranu can enjoy the intellectual talk in the Parisian salons, and then enjoy witnessing the guillotining of his host at the Plac De Concorde.  Savages all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on November 07, 2019, 10:59:22 PM
And I would be prone to agree with you. But many of these people explicitly say they do it in the name of their faith, that they were raised in a faith that promotes tolerance and equality. In the case of the churches that were pro-LGBT rights, it means even the doctrine "experts" (for whatever such a subjective title means) believed the Bible and their faith were justifying their actions.

Where and who gets to draw the line on what someone else "really" believes?

Agreed again, but there is doctrine within their religion that cultivates being a decent human being.

Um what? Are you high Shiranu? The only reason they tolerated other people was that they taught others they were superior. Their god is just as blood thirsty as Yaweh and are very strict about women, men, and sex. Seriously brainwashed you.

Shiranu

QuoteThe only reason they tolerated other people was that they taught others they were superior.

...that's not how people who think they are superiour behave. At all. See literally all of human history for examples.

QuoteTheir god is just as blood thirsty as Yaweh and are very strict about women, men, and sex.

And they choose to ignore those parts and instead focus on the parts where their god (or more accurately, their prophet(s)) taught peace, love and respect.

Note that I never said a thing about their god, or even their doctrine. I said their faith, which is an entirely different concept.

Antitheism to the point of antirationalism is not a great look.