An atheist rediscovers Christianity

Started by Sal1981, June 06, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcM4rdGWZKA

Dave Cullen, a former atheist, rediscovers faith (Christianity). He has the Computing Forever channel which mainly does political and social commentary.

He uses "values of the family" and 'transcendental' values as reasons to subscribe to Christianity.

He uses emotional argumentations, basically, for believing - same as others before him who have used stuff like beauty of nature or equivocating God with love.

Best "arguments" he gives is basically a teleological argument, for a creator.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 06, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Dave Cullen, a former atheist, rediscovers faith (Christianity). He has the Computing Forever channel which mainly does political and social commentary.

He uses "values of the family" and 'transcendental' values as reasons to subscribe to Christianity.

He uses emotional argumentations, basically, for believing - same as others before him who have used stuff like beauty of nature or equivocating God with love.

Some people just can't be helped.  Never heard of him before though.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Don't discount ethnicity (He's Celtic).  He is less likely to choose Buddhism, since he is a ginger White male ;-)  His story is pretty conventional shamanism.  You start out normal (pre-teen), then you go thru a mental health crisis (teen), which if you survive it, you have a catharsis experience which leads to a transcendental condition that is orthogonal to your prior immanent condition.

Athiests are usually obsessed with epistemology, if they think of philosophy at all.  Usually disappointed former Christians, they would never react in an emotional way, being part Vulcan like Spock. (sarc).

I went thru an atheist phase, about a decade long.  Initial catharsis at 18.  It happens.  I was led to a more mature theism.  More recent samadhi at 56.

Teleology of course is Aristotelian, it isn't scientific.  But it does contribute to narrative.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 06:10:55 AM
Don't discount ethnicity.  He is less likely to choose Buddhism, since he is a ginger White male ;-)

Athiests are usually obsessed with epistemology, if they think of philosophy at all.  Usually disappointed former Christians, they would never react in an emotional way, being part Vulcan like Spock.

I went thru an atheist phase, about a decade long.  It happens.

Teleology of course is Aristotelian, it isn't scientific.

When it comes to philosophical terms, I will never be your equal.  Mostly because I consider the details boring and it feels like homework.  On the other, hand, I did examine "epistemology".  And laughed.  Its a great example of how philosophers create jobs for themselves creating terminology as special language. 

I'm more practical.  There is reality and there is not.  There is physical existence and there is not.  There is life and then there is not.  That does not bother me in the least.  Smiling...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

My last post heavily edited.  And your life story is unusual.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I was subscribed to him. He made some okay videos and his political stance had some good points to it on the bullshit of social ideology and Marxist tendencies in the west. He also had some okay tech review videos here and there which he slowed up on making since he moved into politics.

However the moment I watched this video I unsubbed from him. Sad, you can't talk constantly about social indoctrination movements in the west to just come right back and become religiously indoctrinated again.

It goes much in line with a video by another youtuber I posted recently, black pigeon speaks, who talked about how people are hard wired for some form of spirituality, some form of group think. You could argue its the group think we see chimps having a troop, and people in that same primitive fashion look for groups to become part of a troop of their own.

I consider myself fortunate to being an introvert and so not feeling the need to be being part of a group.

most likely this dave cullen couldn't find any kind of group think in the system he was in, a conservative thinking atheist would find it harder to be part of something, since it seems atheist groups are more leaning to the left these days (given how religious are more towards the right with religion and conservative values tying together). So when your faced with what you believe or don't believe not having people you share commonality with, your mind draws you elsewhere.

I feel sorry for him more then anything.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Was reading though the comment section of the video. honestly is unsettling, a flood of religious people subbing to him now with 'god bless' messages, these people probably didn't have a good word to say about the guy until this moment.

SoldierofFortune

Once one's horizon broadens,
There is no way back, this is one way road.
Mind cannot turn its former dimensions...

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 11:40:07 AM
I was subscribed to him. He made some okay videos and his political stance had some good points to it on the bullshit of social ideology and Marxist tendencies in the west. He also had some okay tech review videos here and there which he slowed up on making since he moved into politics.

However the moment I watched this video I unsubbed from him. Sad, you can't talk constantly about social indoctrination movements in the west to just come right back and become religiously indoctrinated again.

It goes much in line with a video by another youtuber I posted recently, black pigeon speaks, who talked about how people are hard wired for some form of spirituality, some form of group think. You could argue its the group think we see chimps having a troop, and people in that same primitive fashion look for groups to become part of a troop of their own.

I consider myself fortunate to being an introvert and so not feeling the need to be being part of a group.

most likely this dave cullen couldn't find any kind of group think in the system he was in, a conservative thinking atheist would find it harder to be part of something, since it seems atheist groups are more leaning to the left these days (given how religious are more towards the right with religion and conservative values tying together). So when your faced with what you believe or don't believe not having people you share commonality with, your mind draws you elsewhere.

Well hopefully he won't become a homophobic Islamophobic Tory, right? (sarc).  He knew, in Britain (land of Karl Marx refugees) that this post could be controversial.  So brave on him, but I don't think it is necessary, in general, to put one's religion out there at all.  Now you can see why pr126 quoted him so much.

He isn't the best tech culture guy around.  Do you like Tim Poole?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 06, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Christian "family values:"

1. Women are the property of their fathers until they are bought by a man who intends to become her husband.

2. Wives have no say, as they are under their man's authority just as he is under God's authority.

3. Beat your kids with a rod. If you don't, you're a bad parent. (Ignore the science that says otherwise.)

4. If beating your kids isn't enough, and they continue to disobey you, stone them to death.

5. If the man of the house dies, and his widow doesn't have kids yet, the woman now belongs to her late husband's brother.

6. If a married woman is caught having sex with another man, stone them both to death.

7. It's okay if men go out and sleep with a prostitute. That's different. It's not cheating if you're a man.

8. However, if a man sleeps with an unmarried woman (whether or not she is a willing participant) and is caught, he must pay the woman's father so he may take her as a wife. Because, again, the woman is her father's property, and if you break it, you buy it.

9. Wives can't say no to their husbands, meaning there is no such thing as marital rape. Why? I think you get it by now. It's because...she is her husband's property.

10. Men can divorce their wives for any reason, and neither are supposed to marry again. Except men are allowed multiple wives anyway, so nobody really cares. But the divorced woman is a spoiled product, so she ain't finding anyone willing to take her.

How wholesome. If only the world still believed in Christian family values.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Human values ...

I can steal whatever I want

I can rape whomever I want

I can murder whomever I want

Politics and religion will provide rationalizations for the above ape behavior.

BTW - you were quoting Jewish values.  Here is the most important one ... the only good Gentile is a dead Gentile ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
Human values ...

I can steal whatever I want

I can rape whomever I want

I can murder whomever I want

Politics and religion will provide rationalizations for the above ape behavior.

BTW - you were quoting Jewish values.  Here is the most important one ... the only good Gentile is a dead Gentile ;-)
You never tire of spouting your shit do you?  I know, you call it snark, or being cynical--yet I think this is exactly how you believe.  You are about the most pessimistic person I've ever come across.  Your list is not 'values', but actions.  Well, unless you are a theist, then whatever it is you do is a value and not an action and you are free to call anything part of your 'moral view'.  I'm not aware of any society that has added rape and murder to their list of 'values'.  Sparta had a thing for stealing--not aware of another society that did.  You and Arik are a perfect pair--blather on theist, blather on..............................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 11:40:07 AM

There's a reason the religious tend to gravitate to the Right. They both play by the same rules. Ignore science, accept pseudoscience when it sounds good to you, hate people who are different from you, resist social change, protect the rights of the bully on the grounds of "free speech," label attempts to protect the victim as the "Left wing agenda." Being a right wing atheist is only one step away from being a Christian, which is why they constantly stand up for such bullshit as "traditional Christian values."

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 11:47:35 AM
Was reading though the comment section of the video. honestly is unsettling, a flood of religious people subbing to him now with 'god bless' messages, these people probably didn't have a good word to say about the guy until this moment.

Yeah, I was curious to see what people were saying, so I looked too. Given what his content was like, however, I'm willing to bet most of these people were already subscribed to him. He was saying the things they liked hearing. Do you know how much Christians love to point at outsiders and say, "See, even they agree with us?" They do it when a black man speaks out against Black Lives Matters or affirmative action. They do it when idiots like Jordan Peterson tells them their anti-LGBT propaganda is scientifically proven. This guy went from being a Christian sympathizer to being a Christian. The Christians think they "won him over," when he was already theirs.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 11:59:11 AM

He isn't the best tech culture guy around.  Do you like Tim Poole?

I've looked at a couple of his videos. never really subscribed to him.

Mike Cl

Blackleaf, you made a great observation about christians and their love of authority.  Take note of the language the bible uses--king, lord, prince, ruler, kingdom, authority--all terms used for monarchy.  They cannot make a move or think a thought unless their king (Jesus--God) allows them to.  That authority (all of it) rests with the King and all those that he grants authority to.  Hence, divine right of kings--and christians and conservatives just love that concept.  That's why Trump is heralded by the christian and conservative alike; he would not be the president unless god willed it so and therefore whatever Trump does or does not do comes from the authority of god.  I think of the terms liberal and conservative as used in the French Revolution; liberal--wanted to do away with the divine right of kings; conservative--wanted to conserve that concept.  And that is how I see it still today.  Liberals want liberty and liberty to chose what is best for society.  Conservatives want to conserve all that was, mainly the divine right of kings like authority upon leaders, especially christian ones. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?