An atheist rediscovers Christianity

Started by Sal1981, June 06, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 06, 2019, 12:23:39 PM
There's a reason the religious tend to gravitate to the Right. They both play by the same rules. Ignore science, accept pseudoscience when it sounds good to you, hate people who are different from you, resist social change, protect the rights of the bully on the grounds of "free speech," label attempts to protect the victim as the "Left wing agenda." Being a right wing atheist is only one step away from being a Christian, which is why they constantly stand up for such bullshit as "traditional Christian values."
For the ease of this I'll refer to the right as being of conservative, and saying religious are more drawn to conservative values. Thing is, conservative values are not systematically bad, it has positive values like raising a family, having a home and job, living by traditional means, all are good aspects for people to follow. My mother is a conservative, but she's never prayed to any god or has ever shown signs of racism or homophobia, same with a lot of the older generation in my family. Religious people are drawn to the older ways of doing things since the older ways are more akin to upholding religious beliefs, so the two come together more so.

But lets also be honest just from and understanding of humanity itself, by the same argument you made, the left could be just as labeled the same way, just the other side of the coin. Modern hard left aren't racist to minorities, but they can be to whites. Their not sexist to LGBT people, but are to heterosexuals. There 'progressive' to peoples nationality outside their own country, but slam people for having the same national identity within their own country. Its two different sides of the same coin.

Atheism just falls in line with more liberal views because of the tie religious views has to conservatism. In my case it was my sexuality that made me realize why I didn't want to follow in line with any religion, atheism came later. I just now happen to uphold both liberal and conservative values.

I'll also add, finding the bad in conservatism is easy because that writings been on the walls for a long time. Seeing the worst side of the left is a newer thing but you just end up seeing its the same thing either side of the spectrum, people are people, they take shit to far and damage any ideal they have as a result. And in such cases the worst outcome is when people like this take those corrupt values and push them into everyone elses lives.

QuoteYeah, I was curious to see what people were saying, so I looked too. Given what his content was like, however, I'm willing to bet most of these people were already subscribed to him. He was saying the things they liked hearing. Do you know how much Christians love to point at outsiders and say, "See, even they agree with us?" They do it when a black man speaks out against Black Lives Matters or affirmative action. They do it when idiots like Jordan Peterson tells them their anti-LGBT propaganda is scientifically proven. This guy went from being a Christian sympathizer to being a Christian. The Christians think they "won him over," when he was already theirs.

I looked back though some of his videos and didn't really get a vibe of his comment section having any strong christian views, but then his videos were based on political and tech stuff so maybe they had little reason to speak out about it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Jesus is said (by himself, in the NT) to have come to destroy families, to make the members of a man's household his enemies, and to be his disciple you must hate everyone in your family. But then, he said to love your enemies, so I guess you're supposed to love your family even though hate them.

Apparently, like so many other Christians, this guy hasn't actually read the Bible.

Quote from: Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Quote from: Matthew 10:34-37
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 01:27:07 PM
Jesus is said (by himself, in the NT) to have come to destroy families, to make the members of a man's household his enemies, and to be his disciple you must hate everyone in your family. But then, he said to love your enemies, so I guess you're supposed to love your family even though hate them.

Apparently, like so many other Christians, this guy hasn't actually read the Bible.

Yes, I doubt he has read the Bible.  For most Christians, it is Church that is relevant, not the Bible.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2019, 12:18:53 PM
You never tire of spouting your shit do you?  I know, you call it snark, or being cynical--yet I think this is exactly how you believe.  You are about the most pessimistic person I've ever come across.  Your list is not 'values', but actions.  Well, unless you are a theist, then whatever it is you do is a value and not an action and you are free to call anything part of your 'moral view'.  I'm not aware of any society that has added rape and murder to their list of 'values'.  Sparta had a thing for stealing--not aware of another society that did.  You and Arik are a perfect pair--blather on theist, blather on..............................

Prove me wrong?  You can't.  Your theory of morality is BS ... same as any other ape man.  No, Arik and I aren't the same guy.  Now it is a free criminal environment ... the government being the chief organized crime syndicate.  So you are free to be an atheist etc.  The war of every human against every other human ... aka ethics.

No, this isn't Sparta.  This is Corleone Sicily.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 12:46:21 PM
I've looked at a couple of his videos. never really subscribed to him.

I have no subscriptions.  I retain my independence.  Youtube going the way of Myspace.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Always funny, Christians (no one currently posting) and atheists arguing over the minutae of scripture.  But that is what you get from atheists who are ex-Christian Bible thumpers (as opposed to Church Christians who don't take the Bible seriously).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

How can Christians not take the Bible seriously if they believe it to be "The Holy Word of God"?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 06, 2019, 03:34:05 PM
How can Christians not take the Bible seriously if they believe it to be "The Holy Word of God"?

They lie.  As any atheist can tell you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 01:16:53 PM
But lets also be honest just from and understanding of humanity itself, by the same argument you made, the left could be just as labeled the same way, just the other side of the coin. Modern hard left aren't racist to minorities, but they can be to whites. Their not sexist to LGBT people, but are to heterosexuals. There 'progressive' to peoples nationality outside their own country, but slam people for having the same national identity within their own country. Its two different sides of the same coin.
Wow, way to broad-brush and strawman there.  I defy you to find one single solitary post anywhere on this forum going back as far as you wish where I denigrate straight people or white people.  And you better believe I identify as being on the Left.

This is just bullshit, and nothing but.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 03:19:17 PM
I have no subscriptions.  I retain my independence.  Youtube going the way of Myspace.
Certainly seems like YouTube is losing traction. Yet alternative video sites are not growing, Bitchute comes to mind, that are not as censorious as YouTube; I wonder why that is. YouTube has been on a steady decline since 2012 according to Google's own Trends tracker.

The latest in bouts of censorship from YouTube,  the #VoxAdpolcalypse, has kicked the pebble down the road some more and Bitchute (and others, most likely) have yet to see growth. This ties into with the alternatives to Twitter and Facebook, Gab and Minds, which are also staying around the same for trends. You'd think that people go somewhere else when they're denied service on the main 3 websites, but it doesn't look like that.

The divisions now from those 3 alternatives is that they're mainly for right-leaning people, both ideologically and politically. They're still small, compared to the 3 mainstream websites, but I have a feeling that is gonna slowly change, unless YouTube, Facebook and Twitter don't backpedal, since they're alienating right-leaning people off of their platforms.

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on June 06, 2019, 06:41:44 PM
Wow, way to broad-brush and strawman there.  I defy you to find one single solitary post anywhere on this forum going back as far as you wish where I denigrate straight people or white people.  And you better believe I identify as being on the Left.

This is just bullshit, and nothing but.

so wait, am I making a broad statement or making an individual statement, you seem a little conflicted on that.

how did you even manage to interpret that as being aimed at you?

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
Human values ...

I can steal whatever I want

I can rape whomever I want

I can murder whomever I want

Politics and religion will provide rationalizations for the above ape behavior.

BTW - you were quoting Jewish values.  Here is the most important one ... the only good Gentile is a dead Gentile ;-)

Actually you just posted Jewish values...thats why your G-d had to make rules for your ancestors...they were human trash. Most humans, as you well know, don't have those values but you do like to pinch your own butt once in a while.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 06, 2019, 07:03:53 PM
so wait, am I making a broad statement or making an individual statement, you seem a little conflicted on that.

how did you even manage to interpret that as being aimed at you?
Well, you have a tendency to make broad statements about leftists that leftists know aren't remotely based in reality.  If we hated heteroes (self-hate?) and native-born Americans simply because they're native-born, you'd be able to point to us doing just that.  You can't, for obvious reasons.

In the meantime, we have stuff like this.

This false equivocation thing is your only card to play, but it's never enough to win even a single match: you have an exceptionally bad hand and you're pretending like you've got a royal flush.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 06, 2019, 08:55:45 PM
Well, you have a tendency to make broad statements about leftists that leftists know aren't remotely based in reality.  If we hated heteroes (self-hate?) and native-born Americans simply because they're native-born, you'd be able to point to us doing just that.  You can't, for obvious reasons.

if I did that I would be making a broad statement. However I'm not here. Also aren't you just generalizing all leftists?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 03:18:12 PM
Prove me wrong?  You can't.  Your theory of morality is BS ... same as any other ape man.  No, Arik and I aren't the same guy.  Now it is a free criminal environment ... the government being the chief organized crime syndicate.  So you are free to be an atheist etc.  The war of every human against every other human ... aka ethics.

No, this isn't Sparta.  This is Corleone Sicily.
You just proved my statement--full of shit and pessimistic.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?