"Three Engineers Walk Into a Bar" - Land on the Moon 8 Years Later

Started by Unbeliever, March 01, 2019, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 29, 2019, 10:35:18 AM
At least it would be genuine races...

Depends on interstellar transpermia...The Skrulls, Kree, and us are a bit similar...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 29, 2019, 12:34:18 PM
And, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

And when the Protector Pak arrived with the Virus of Life, it all changed...

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2019, 06:32:32 PM
Landing on the lunar surface doesn't take a vast government program any more, apparently. This may well be the future of space missions, so maybe a lunar colony won't be far off.
Yyyyyeah, about that Beresheet lander...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 20, 2019, 02:20:00 AM
Yyyyyeah, about that Beresheet lander...

The more the better.  Ultimately, we aren't going to escape the planet one nation or company at a time.  It is going to be co-operative in general ways or it won't succeed. 

I truly do think that sci-fi writers have shown us the way.  It is not going to be easy, and people will die on the the way to Mars and beyond.  But people died in ships seeking understand the surface of the Earth and that didn't stop them from trying.

We are seekers.  We first wondered what was "over that hill", then "over that mountain" and even "what's on the top of that mountain"?

The drive that pulls us to see what is on the top of the mountain, cross a desert, try to see the bottom of the ocean...  Those things now drive us to want to step on Mars.  Every time we say "been there, done that", we look for something new to try. 

If we ever find a new intelligent species "out there somewhere" , I suspect it will be too hard to make war.  That may be the only saving grace of distance.  And, this may seem silly, but if we talk, the first word we will understand is the name of the planet we meet

It will mean "dirt".  Well, "soil or ground", maybe.  Every civilization will call their planet some version of "dirt".  Ya gotta start somewhere...

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 05:56:21 AM
Sad.  Article didn't describe what went wrong.

It fell down and went boom. Well, no sound on the Moon, so maybe no boom.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 02:18:47 PM
It fell down and went boom. Well, no sound on the Moon, so maybe no boom.

If a ship hits the moon, does it make a sound?  Probably not.  Depends on how you define "sound".  But it would make it vibrate for about 25 minutes.  Just saw that today on the Science Channel. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 02:39:25 PM
If a ship hits the moon, does it make a sound?  Probably not.  Depends on how you define "sound".  But it would make it vibrate for about 25 minutes.  Just saw that today on the Science Channel.

Sound inside lunar crust.  If the Moon had ears ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Unbeliever

It's hard to believe it's been half a century since I watched people land on the moon. I was 13 years old, and was lucky enough to have access to television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbquKCqEQY
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 06:08:50 PM
It's hard to believe it's been half a century since I watched people land on the moon. I was 13 years old, and was lucky enough to have access to television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbquKCqEQY

Today.  Wow, times passes and I mean I knew today was coming, but I didn't realize it was the 20th right now.  Well it wasn't when I got online yesterday.

"One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind!"

How did we stop?  How do we start again?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 06:19:37 PM
Today.  Wow, times passes and I mean I knew today was coming, but I didn't realize it was the 20th right now.  Well it wasn't when I got online yesterday.

Going to Moon.  Probably for the same reason that the Space Shuttle got replaced by a drone.  Constellation project was cancelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_program

A friend of mine has worked on the Orion capsule project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(spacecraft)

Artemis replaced Constellation.  First manned flight, 2023.  First unmanned flight 2021.  The unmanned flights are drones probably, like the drone Space Shuttle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Once it was plain that we'd beaten everyone else to the moon we lost interest, and moved on to the next news cycle.
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 06:19:37 PM

We stopped because:

• the race was "won", we showed those damn Rooskies who's "better"; and
  • Nixon wanted to kill off what was seen as a Kennedy accomplishment, made all the worse for happening on his watch.  He could have made it his by upping the ante and setting the task of a permanent lunar base by the end of the 70s, but that's not the way his dark and twisted brain worked.  And,
  • even though the Apollo program had a 14:1 return on investment, the average American didn't see it immediately, so public support faded; and
  • the Soviet space program more or less ceded the moon (mainly due to the death of Sergei Korolev, and the constant failures of the N1, of which it would be charitable to call them merely disastrous) and focused on space stations, providing no more "competition".

EDIT: Damn forum software.  I really wanted an inline link to the four N1 launches, not an insert of the video.  Well, hell, all right, here's the video.  The second N1 failure is one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuo3J8L9b8
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan