News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2019, 03:31:18 PM

Hot damn, I think I just found my next medieval game.

A much more realistic apocalypse game.  I bet the chief boss is Willard ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2019, 03:31:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bevqtZ0bXt0

Hot damn, I think I just found my next medieval game.

Medieval France, I'm already sold.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Bought the Vampire Coast DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2... total game changer, such a satisfying faction to run around as. Normally "baddies" like that bore me, but to be honest... the bad guys (which implies there are good guys, which... ehhh... there are 'less bad' guys) in this series tend to be the most fun... the Orks, Skaven and now the undead pirates all are just so entertaining.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

US senator introduces legislation to ban pay-to-win microtransactions and loot boxes from games geared towards kids

Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with a Republican, but this microtransaction cancer has gone way too far.  And yes, lootboxes are gambling.

Mike Cl

Have been playing Pillars of Eternity for awhile now.  It is produced by Obsidian and what caught my ear was the same music that was used in New Vegas for various environments, such as dungeons, in buildings to explore and general roaming around.  I have over 2700 hours into New Vegas, and while playing Pillars I'd get flashes of scenes of New Vegas triggered by the music.  I'm a little surprised at how often that happens.  Not a bad thing, just curious.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2019, 09:10:08 AM
Have been playing Pillars of Eternity for awhile now.  It is produced by Obsidian and what caught my ear was the same music that was used in New Vegas for various environments, such as dungeons, in buildings to explore and general roaming around.  I have over 2700 hours into New Vegas, and while playing Pillars I'd get flashes of scenes of New Vegas triggered by the music.  I'm a little surprised at how often that happens.  Not a bad thing, just curious.

2000 hrs = one year full time work.  Are you being paid for this?  Even if you are retired ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Bethesda accused of plagiarism

This charge of plagiarism is particularly devastating since The Elder Scrolls series has obviously taken a great deal of inspiration from D&D and it has walked the fine line between inspiration and imitation over the years.

Straying into stealing territory is a grave mistake because it paints the picture of Elder Scrolls as a derivative, inferior work - a picture that Bethesda ought to do everything in their power to avoid if they want this series to survive.

Let me know if these sound the slightest bit similar:

Quote from: D&D: The Black RoadThere's nothing like the desert to make people feel small and insignificant. In every direction, huge dunes roll across the landscape, and an even bigger sky looms above. The oasis of Vuerthyl is a motley collection of sun-bleached tents in the vast Anauroch desert.

Quote from: Bethesda's Elsweyr adventureNothing beats the desert to make people feel small and unimportant. In every direction enormous dunes roll across the landscape, and an even larger empty air skies above it. The oasis on the border between Cyrodiil and Elsweyr is a colorful collection of sun-drenched tents in the vast desert of Elsweyr.

Edit: even a character name was copy-and-pasted.  Dafuq.

Shiranu

"Hey, can I copy your homework?"

"Sure, just make it look different so it doesn't look like you just copied it."

"Aight."

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 09, 2019, 01:34:20 PM

Quote from: D&D: The Black RoadThere's nothing like the desert to make people feel small and insignificant. In every direction, huge dunes roll across the landscape, and an even bigger sky looms above. The oasis of Vuerthyl is a motley collection of sun-bleached tents in the vast Anauroch desert.

Quote from: Bethesda's Elsweyr adventureNothing beats the desert to make people feel small and unimportant. In every direction enormous dunes roll across the landscape, and an even larger empty air skies above it. The oasis on the border between Cyrodiil and Elsweyr is a colorful collection of sun-drenched tents in the vast desert of Elsweyr.

Hydra009

After looking into this story a little more, it's apparently a Bethesda employees' private D&D session rather than an official Elder Scrolls product and it went public because the official Twitter made the boneheaded move of linking to a dropbox with that in there.  That's a lot less damning, since copying something line-by-line is fine if you keep it yourself, don't claim it as your own, and don't make a buck off of it.

I guess this was a bit of a tempest in a teacup.  Apologies.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 09, 2019, 11:00:04 AM
2000 hrs = one year full time work.  Are you being paid for this?  Even if you are retired ...
And I have 4500 hours logged with FO4--but my grandchild really owns about 500 of those hours.  Am I being paid?  Only in entertainment dollars. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I do maybe 7 hours per week of gaming, and feel guilty over that.  Would  be 364 hrs per year.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 09, 2019, 08:04:14 PM
I do maybe 7 hours per week of gaming, and feel guilty over that.  Would  be 364 hrs per year.
I quit feeling guilt about my gaming ages ago.  Gaming and baseball stats are what have (and still do) gotten me thru the rough edges of life.  I can dive right in either subject and become engaged quickly.  That can be very handy at times.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2019, 08:09:57 PM
I quit feeling guilt about my gaming ages ago.  Gaming and baseball stats are what have (and still do) gotten me thru the rough edges of life.  I can dive right in either subject and become engaged quickly.  That can be very handy at times.

Distractions are our friend ;-)  Less bendy than putting our heads between our legs, eh?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on April 19, 2019, 08:49:53 AM
I used to play C2 all the time as a kid, but getting it to work now isn’t easy and I’ve sort of moved on from civ as a franchise into other strategy games. I’m a fan of battle brothers and xcom. Though I’m sad long war will never work again

I tried virtual Windows on Mac and some sites that promised adaptions that allowed Civ2 on Mac, but none really worked.  I finally just bought an old Windows 95 computer.  It just stays offline, works great, and I'm having a great time of the game.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 09, 2019, 01:34:20 PM
Bethesda accused of plagiarism

This charge of plagiarism is particularly devastating since The Elder Scrolls series has obviously taken a great deal of inspiration from D&D and it has walked the fine line between inspiration and imitation over the years.

Straying into stealing territory is a grave mistake because it paints the picture of Elder Scrolls as a derivative, inferior work - a picture that Bethesda ought to do everything in their power to avoid if they want this series to survive.

Let me know if these sound the slightest bit similar:

Edit: even a character name was copy-and-pasted.  Dafuq.

At first, I thought it was about the lore, and the theme of the story, but yeah that^ is unacceptable. This could be something that slipped from the radar after it was done by someone with no experience.

You know much more about the both than me. However, how is that D&D is generally considered as 'copied' by Elder Scrolls or any other game, book or movies I don't get.

So Tolkien family should sue everyone in sight and that is because it hasn't been 80 years since his death and well, Homer has died some time around 700 smt BCE and before that and including Homer everything in between ineverfy direction is stolen from Gılgamesh.

Much better example, Anne Rice should kick ass starting from Joss Whedon for Angel and any all teenager vampire operas after, including that Mormon twilight woman.

How about Richard Matheson? He died a few years ago. I am Legend is the source for almost every zombie and vampire movie done. HP Lovecraft? Vonnegut? Dick? King?Ursula? 

The basic, general lore DOES NOT belong to anyone. It's ridiculous. It's like saying, Tolkien stole from Kelts, Welsh, Scotts...but esp. from Druids. Of course he did. And poor Game of Thrones, lol. He stole from everything about Isle myths. I am not even getting into anything Nordic.       

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp