News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Yeah, I know.  That was my exact criticism when I played Season 1.  I think that design choice is terrible, to be honest.  You should be able to fork, even though it'd require the devs to create a lot more content for the game, it'd be worth it imo.

Besides, it seems deceitful for a narratively-driven game to be so linear.  The central premise of the game series - your choices have consequences - is a bald-faced lie, but I enjoyed the game movie with quicktime events nonetheless, even the parts that didn't particularly matter.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Blackleaf

So...Pokemon Go. It's a thing. Been out a couple of days. Can barely play it because their servers are being overworked. I guess they didn't expect the game to instantly rise to the top of the charts and be played by everyone and their mother. Anyone here try it? What are your opinions on it?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

People all over campus are playing it. It's obnoxious... but if they are having fun more power to them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 09, 2016, 11:20:23 PM
People all over campus are playing it. It's obnoxious... but if they are having fun more power to them.

It doesn't seem that great to me. It feels half done, if even that. You can't even trade Pokemon yet. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it lives up to its potential, but I think they could have waited a little longer before releasing it.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 09, 2016, 10:52:23 PMSo...Pokemon Go. It's a thing. Been out a couple of days. Can barely play it because their servers are being overworked. I guess they didn't expect the game to instantly rise to the top of the charts and be played by everyone and their mother. Anyone here try it? What are your opinions on it?
I've heard that the gym battles are basically clickfests lacking the move-and-countermove tactics that pokemon is known for.  So, this is basically a massive virtual geocache.  Like Avatar, I think this is one of those things that isn't itself all that great, but the novelty of it helps widespread adoption of a new technology.

Besides, I'm already playing a similar game.  They're like pokemon, except they have glowing red eyes, oozing black skin, and far too many teeth.  They only appear at night, and you have to hide to escape their notice.  Whoever hides successfully gets to play again the next night.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2016, 05:16:04 AM
I've heard that the gym battles are basically clickfests lacking the move-and-countermove tactics that pokemon is known for.  So, this is basically a massive virtual geocache.  Like Avatar, I think this is one of those things that isn't itself all that great, but the novelty of it helps widespread adoption of a new technology.

Kinda. There are three teams, and to claim a gym, someone has to defeat enough Pokemon of the current claiming team to make it neutral. Then you deploy your own Pokemon to defend it and claim it for yourself. Others of your team can provide reinforcements. Team members can collect items from their gyms.

Currently, each Pokemon has CP, which determines their power, and two moves. Tapping uses the first move, while holding uses the secondary move. I believe swiping left and right makes your Pokemon dodge.

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2016, 05:16:04 AMBesides, I'm already playing a similar game.  They're like pokemon, except they have glowing red eyes, oozing black skin, and far too many teeth.  They only appear at night, and you have to hide to escape their notice.  Whoever hides successfully gets to play again the next night.

Uhh... You okay?
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I'm loving diep.io lately.  For those who don't know, it's a browser game where basically, you play asteriods with assholes.  And it's hella fun.

Most of the people there aren't actually people but computers mysteriously left on in some irradiated ghosttown whose actions are determined by a treebranch poking through the window, rustling in the breeze, and occasionally hitting a key.  Maybe a squirrel is involved, I dunno.  Then there are mutants with insanely good reaction time and outrageously OP builds who make me want to snap my keyboard in half.

In domination mode, there are two teams and four neutral turrets on the map.  Claim all four turrets and your team wins.  In order to claim a turret, your team has to shoot it.  Land the killing blow and it your team controls it.  Half of the enemy's team was trying to take one over and it had little health left.  So I snuck in, landed the killing blow, and my turret gunned down a couple of them almost instantly. :rrotflmao:

My exact words during that play:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxiIQeNNhQ[/spoiler]

Hijiri Byakuren

Yeah, I've been playing a bit of diep.io here and there as well, when I'm not juggling between CK2, Shattered Throne, and Arkham Knight. I find that going for power, penetration, and reload speed while heading down the tri-shot path is the way to go for domination mode. It makes a nice little shield you can hide behind while teammates using other builds can hide behind you and take pot shots at the turrets.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0

What do you guys think about the CS:GO gambling fiasco?

Valve recently announced it'll start cracking down on that sort of thing.  And it's probably why I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to sell my $.05 steam cards or wait forever.  But whatever, I can tolerate increased difficulty in crafting a steam badge if it means some shady assholes can't run a shell game using the same service.

Apparently, gambling for virtual items/skins is a multi-billion dollar industry now.  An industry that I would presume to be illegal since gambling is illegal in most US states (with the exception of state lotteries).  But sites like FanDuel and DraftKings exist, so I suppose it's a legal gray area.

TotalBiscuit came out really hard against the CS:GO betting and the fraud that went along with it.  I completely agree with him.  In fact, I also dislike game devs implementing "loot crates" (containers that have variable loot and require real-world cash to acquire/open).  Either property would be okay on its own, but the combination of payment and risk places it very close to actual gambling in my book.  It just comes across as a really scummy, greedy practice.

Hijiri Byakuren

Took my 6-year-old cousin around town catching some Pokemon and hitting up some PokeStops. Didn't do any gyms because they were too strong for me and all on his team. (I'm Mystic, he's Instinct.)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

kilodelta

I tried playing by these rules... but, then I let the sin in... shave me someone!!! Then give me a good spanking.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Sal1981

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 09, 2016, 10:52:23 PM
So...Pokemon Go. It's a thing. Been out a couple of days. Can barely play it because their servers are being overworked. I guess they didn't expect the game to instantly rise to the top of the charts and be played by everyone and their mother. Anyone here try it? What are your opinions on it?
Was on the national news today. I don't play it myself, but if it gets people to walk, more power to them.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 23, 2016, 09:28:01 PM
Was on the national news today. I don't play it myself, but if it gets people to walk, more power to them.

I actually gave the game a second chance, and I'm liking it more now. The main reason I like it is that it gets people together. I've met people in my neighborhood that I probably never would have ever met without the game.
--Fulke Greville--