News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

so wait, they're running it through origin?
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

I guess so.  What kind of errors do you get when you try to run RA2?

GrinningYMIR

The disk just won't register on mine, and last time I tried it on 7 there was no music. Just voices and firing
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

So, it'll launch and even play but certain game assets (music) won't work?  If so, it's the disk.  You'll just have to get a different physical copy or get a digital copy.

GrinningYMIR

GrinningYMIR

Thinking I might do a runthrough of D2 again soon, sort of in a mood for it. I wonder if my hand can handle all of the clicking though..

wolf39us

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on February 10, 2015, 11:47:04 AM
Thinking I might do a runthrough of D2 again soon, sort of in a mood for it. I wonder if my hand can handle all of the clicking though..

Gotta pick shit up fast!

MOOOOOOO

Hydra009

Endless Legend.  10/10.  It's the best turn-based strategy game I've played in years.

This game is filled with phenomenal artwork that really gives world an almost tabletop feel.  The music is excellent and really draws you in.  And the 8 factions have some very different playstyles that ensure that one game feels different from another.  For example, the insectoid Necrophages are locked more or less in a constant state of war with the other races, constantly needing to spill blood to enrich their empire.  The Broken Lords are the immortal spirits of mighty knights magically sealed in their own armor who cannot heal from damage or grow their cities except by spending Dust, but with a steady income source, they're practically invincible.  The tech-savy Vaulters have a very defensive mentality and can quickly rush to a city's defense.  The draconic yet surprisingly amiable Drakken forge alliances and befriend even their worst enemies, though they can also field potent armies.  And then there's the bizarre and unnerving Cultists who can only control single city - but it's massive.  Cultist armies swarm the map, converting or killing huge swathes of the world.  Pray that they never show up on your doorstep.

Gameplaywise, it plays like the bastard child of Civ5 and Endless Space.  You found a city with a settler, produce buildings, raise armies, research, and fight your way to victory, all while exploring ruins, much like Civ5.  Where it differs is that the world map is divided into regions which can only ever have one city at any one time, and each region can have anywhere from 1 to 3 villages (think barbarian encampments from Civ).  These villages can be conquered or bribed into compliance, but they can also be reasoned with and might voluntarily join your empire if you do a *small* favor for them first - a quest usually involving a tribute or crushing a barbarian army.  Pacified villages not only improve the city in the same region, they also provide your empire with a passive buff and a military unit that you can use to augment your own forces.

And speaking of the quest system, you get quests from ruins and villages in addition to a faction-specific questline.  And for the most part, they're definitely worth it, though the occasional quest is too narrowly focused to reasonably accomplish.  Thankfully, there's no penalty for failing quests.

And to top things off, you can recruit heroes that can act either as city governors or generals to either help your cities grow or put the hurt on your enemy.  Both heroes and their armies level up and gain access to new equipment throughout the game, though at the cost of expensive retrofits.  Over time, heroes climb their talent trees and gain increasingly potent buffs.

And eventually, you claw your way to victory by accomplishing all your faction-specific quests, killing off all other empires, researching like mad, accumulating ludicrous stores of wealth, expanding your empire to most of the map, or by diplomatic hegemony.

It's a fantastic ride, though the average game quite time-consuming.  I cannot more highly recommend this title.  Though I wouldn't be me if I didn't point out some of its flaws:

* Notification popups at the beginning of every turn are excessively intrusive by default.  Thankfully, you can mitigate this somewhat in the settings, but initially, I was getting bombarded with all sorts of notifications to the point where it actually could make the game crash to desktop.  A few patches later and the crashes have more or less gone away, but I still think it's pretty idiotic that you'd get a popup saying that winter has begun when you can see an extremely obvious summer-winter transition on the screen.  A blind man would know that winter has begun.  And when a single hero levels up multiple times in one turn, is it really necessary to have multiple popups announcing each and every levelup?

* The victory screens are pretty lackluster.  Considering the lengths you have to go to to get there, it's very disappointing.  Especially since the different victory screens for your faction are essentially duplicates of one another with the same foreground copied onto a different background.  And to make it worse, it's often not the first popup you get for that turn.  More than once I've tried to level up a hero and been unable to do so because the game has ended.  ><

And tracking your progress towards victory is possible, but only if you find the window practically hidden in the interface.  I didn't even know this window even existed until I stumbled on it after playing multiple games.

* Selecting appropriate gear for your hero/army is waay more of a chore than it needs to be.  You can't even compare items to one another.  Same deal when purchasing heroes.  You have to mouse over each one out a list of 10 to even have the slightest inkling of what they can do, and even then, figuring out their full capabilities and making an informed choice is very difficult and time consuming.

* Quests that involve going to a specific location are needlessly convoluted.  You have to click the quest button, select it from a list, select show location (which bafflingly, deselects your army), figure out where that location is relative to your army, then select your army, scroll back over there, then plot a path there.  Jeez Louise!

* Quests in general vary from incredibly demanding to extremely easy.  Ruin rewards vary considerably, as do the regions.  The RNG can either hand you a windfall or really screw you over.  Heaven help you if you're playing as cultists and you don't start out in a prime location for a city.

kilodelta

I wasn't too impressed with the battle system. I either want full control of the tile movements, or a Civ5 like system. I normally end up hitting auto resolve and feeling like I could have done more tactically to gain an advantage.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PickelledEggs

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

A very addicting browser based game. If you make a log-in you can keep your character

Hydra009

Quote from: kilodelta on February 10, 2015, 07:49:55 PM
I wasn't too impressed with the battle system. I either want full control of the tile movements, or a Civ5 like system. I normally end up hitting auto resolve and feeling like I could have done more tactically to gain an advantage.
I either autoresolve or spectate when I feel like the battle would be exciting to watch, which isn't often.  I usually only fight when victory is assured anyway, so casualties are extremely atypical.  Though admittedly, I haven't climbed to the harder difficulties yet.

One part of the battle system that actually did sort of bug me were the very underwhelming siege battles.  Defenders just get a defense bonus and you basically fight around the foundation of the city.  Whoopie.  I wish they did something like Heroes of Might and Magic where defenders get tower defenses and walls.  This could be balanced by the siegers temporarily gaining seige engines depending on how many turns they've been sieging, like in the Total War series.  Either of those systems would be a massive improvement over the way they have it set up right now.

kilodelta

Yes. I liked the Might and Magic siege model.

kilodelta

I will get this today or pass out drunk...

My Little Pony
As Catherine, research Horseback Riding before any other Civ.

Hydra009

Quote from: kilodelta on February 22, 2015, 03:33:38 PMI will get this today or pass out drunk...

My Little Pony
The Gameloft one?

I've been on the lookout for a MLP game, but I've yet to find one that I'd really enjoy.

kilodelta

It's an achievement for Civilization 5.

I'm banging my head on my desk trying to get it. (I did get an achievement for that though.)

Mild Concussion
As kilodelta, get at least seven staples at one time to close a head wound.