News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

antithesis, you mentioned that scary, frustrating, challenging, exciting, game changing word "modding"!  I love computers and games--just not very adroit at making computers do what I want them to--other than play games.  Anyway, I play Skyrim on Steam and for that game they have the 'workshop', which supplies mods for Skyrim. All one has to do is to push the 'subscribe' button and when you next load the game, the selected mods load automatically.  Wow!  I had over 750 unmodded hours into the game; with the mods everything changed!  I now have almost 1300 modded hours into it. 

My question to you is about modding outside of Steam.  I've heard of Nexus.  Not been there much.  I'd love to mod Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  But I've heard it can be a very frustrating experience trying to get mods integrated into a game.  You seem to have had experience with that task.  Is it really that difficult?  Would you recommend a site for me to go to that might have a useful tutorial?  Any and all help would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Nah. I don't know anything about modding. I was speaking off Minecraft specifically, which has been all about new things coming out for the game like it would never be finished. I had load some mod packs for Minecraft a couple times, but mostly play vanilla Minecraft these days.

Mike Cl

Thanks for the reply.  My grandson loves minecraft and so it is install on my computer.  I just haven't gone there yet.  Still stuck in Skyrim. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

_Xenu_

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 12, 2014, 08:21:13 PM
I just sent you a request via typing your email in battle.net. For some reason xenu doesn't show up when I type it.
Im pretty rusty, but send me a PM if you want to play.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 14, 2014, 04:46:18 PMMy question to you is about modding outside of Steam.  I've heard of Nexus.  Not been there much.  I'd love to mod Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  But I've heard it can be a very frustrating experience trying to get mods integrated into a game.  You seem to have had experience with that task.  Is it really that difficult?  Would you recommend a site for me to go to that might have a useful tutorial?  Any and all help would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
I've modded the hell out of my skyrim.  And yes, Nexus is the place to go.  A few of my mods load through Workshop, but the vast majority were manually installed.  Nexus Mod Manager is available, but I had some issues with it and opted to manually install mods instead.

First step -> back up your save files (usually C:/Users/Username/My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) and also your Skyrim directory (usually C:/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim) in case you make a mistake.  Also, create a desktop shortcut to Skyrim's data directory.  It's quite a time-saver.

Second step -> download Skyrim script extender (a metric ton of mods require this to work correctly, so it's practically required)

Third step -> go to nexus and download whatever suits your fancy into a mod directory (if you're having trouble sorting through it all, check out some of the more popular ones or check out Skyrim Mods Weekly on youtube for some good recommendations).  Before installing any mod, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.  Take special note of any incompatibilities.  Then carefully install mods one at a time and launch Skyrim to make sure that Skyrim still launches correctly and also that the mod works.  Do the Skyrim Jenga until euphoria is achieved.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 14, 2014, 06:20:50 PM
Im pretty rusty, but send me a PM if you want to play.
Cool I just logged in. I'm probably too tired for a game now, but I will PM you soon.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2014, 10:24:21 PM
I've modded the hell out of my skyrim.  And yes, Nexus is the place to go.  A few of my mods load through Workshop, but the vast majority were manually installed.  Nexus Mod Manager is available, but I had some issues with it and opted to manually install mods instead.

First step -> back up your save files (usually C:/Users/Username/My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) and also your Skyrim directory (usually C:/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim) in case you make a mistake.  Also, create a desktop shortcut to Skyrim's data directory.  It's quite a time-saver.

Second step -> download Skyrim script extender (a metric ton of mods require this to work correctly, so it's practically required)

Third step -> go to nexus and download whatever suits your fancy into a mod directory (if you're having trouble sorting through it all, check out some of the more popular ones or check out Skyrim Mods Weekly on youtube for some good recommendations).  Before installing any mod, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.  Take special note of any incompatibilities.  Then carefully install mods one at a time and launch Skyrim to make sure that Skyrim still launches correctly and also that the mod works.  Do the Skyrim Jenga until euphoria is achieved.
Hydra, thanks!  I currently have 50 mods running in skyrim--and another 50 I've 'favorited'.  I learned early that one must read the instructions on them all.  I load them one at a time, for some CD, so all I need do is unscribe that on, and continue on.  You are right about the script extender I've noticed, many of the mods I'd like to try need it.  Have not braved installing it yet.  I guess I'll simply have to gird my loins and jump in and do it! :)  I will use your instructions and give it a try.  Have you modded Fallout 3 or New Vegas?  BTW, my fav Skyrim mod is Sophia--she follows me everywhere, carries a huge amount and acts as my tank as I plunk the enemy with arrows.  Thanks, again.

Hydra009

50 mods in, eh?  Sounds like you already have everything under control.

I played Fallout 3 for a few hours.  Not my cup of tea.

I'm sort of split on followers.  On one hand, it's cool to have some backup, but on the other hand, they can be a hassle, they can mess up some nice stealth combat (not to mention triggering traps), and it feels better to go it alone.  I don't really need a follower for anything, so I usually don't bother.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2014, 11:15:07 PM
50 mods in, eh?  Sounds like you already have everything under control.

I played Fallout 3 for a few hours.  Not my cup of tea.

I'm sort of split on followers.  On one hand, it's cool to have some backup, but on the other hand, they can be a hassle, they can mess up some nice stealth combat (not to mention triggering traps), and it feels better to go it alone.  I don't really need a follower for anything, so I usually don't bother.

I usually would use Lydia for awhile and then dump her at Breezehome and leave her there.  Sofia is fully scripted, has a smart mouth (which I like), can be dressed in whatever armor you'd like, is a great tank, good at stealth, and can carry over 1,000 lbs, so is a great mule.  I am impressed that she goes everywhere you go, unlike Lydia or any of the Companions.  Do a search for her on the Steam workshop section of skyrim. 

I may have 50 mods running, but they are the easy ones--just subscribe to them and then steam loads them so they run.  I need to the script extender and get apachii hair. 

Hydra009

Yeah, she seems good.  I just prefer lone wolf.

Believe it or not, one of my favorite mods:  Birds and Flocks

In a that's mostly wilderness with plenty of animal life, it just really bugged me how the vanilla never had any birds whatsoever.  It just felt empty.  That mod fixes that with lots of flying birds.  The harbor at solitude is especially lively now.

Now someone just needs to add snakes to the non-snowy parts of Skyrim...

Mike Cl

Yeah, I have that one, too.  I have several that add people traveling on the roads, encounters in the wilderness, more civil war, bolder auroas, brighter stars, shooting stars, more bandits and outlaws, stronger dragons and more of them, changes to blacksmithing and enchanting, and one that adds an enchanting table and blacksmith section to Breezehome, and several new armors and arrows.  I like to crowd more bodies, people and animals, into skyrim. 

the_antithesis

Whelp, the deal is not a rumor anymore. $2.5 billion. So, we'll see if Microsoft ruins everything or not.

Hydra009

the_antithesis

GrinningYMIR

I'm just kicking myself for not buying the complete pack of dawn of war stuff when it was on sale, now its over 150 bucks...

and I skipped skyrim too, should have gotten that damn thing

Come on winter sale, bring me deliverance!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit