News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Naru on July 31, 2014, 11:24:09 PM
Never played DOTA2 yet. Perhaps I will give it a shot.

LMK if you want to play.

PickelledEggs

RichTC

Hey - I'm a long time gamer ... Warcraft and Rift for now.
RichTC
"We read the pagan sacred books with profit and delight. With myth and fable we are ever charmed, and find a pleasure in the endless repetition of the beautiful, poetic, and absurd." - RG Ingersoll

the_antithesis

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 02, 2014, 07:08:26 PM
Firefall is out of beta now.
Gonna try it out

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

I don't understand this beta thing.

Why do people want to play an early, broken version of the game?

Why would publishers and developers even want to see a broken version of the game?

It just seems like a bad idea all around.

StupidWiz

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 03, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

Why would publishers and developers even want to see a broken version of the game?

Yeah, I share the sentiment. I'd rather wait at least 1 year if I want to get into that new online game. There must be some long lasting exclusive compensation for me to play in Beta or earlier version. I guess it depends on each gamer, if they like the game's concept and gameplay so much, they'll beta test it for free. It's all about passion, I suppose.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

PickelledEggs

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 03, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

The game is no longer in beta. It is complete now.

Developers and publishers do it to make sure that: 1 they can work on issues that show up when people are on the servers and 2 so they get feedback of what players want in the final release of the game.

Players participate mostly because they have a say in the direction of the game, if they want to say something to the devs. and also they get to see how the game progresses.
People in general like to see works in progress.

Plus. Addressing some of the things in that video... Firefall open beta and a huge amount of open beta games are free to participate in. Even if the final game needs to be paid for. Like how Firefall was free to participate in beta and is still free to play.  and on the other hand even though Elder Scrolls Online is a pay to play game, but it was free for the beta stages.

Sent from your mom

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 03, 2014, 09:44:46 AMI don't understand this beta thing.

the_antithesis

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 03, 2014, 10:35:23 AM

Plus. Addressing some of the things in that video... Firefall open beta and a huge amount of open beta games are free to participate in. Even if the final game needs to be paid for. Like how Firefall was free to participate in beta and is still free to play.  and on the other hand even though Elder Scrolls Online is a pay to play game, but it was free for the beta stages.

I don't know what Firefall is. And I don't care. I'm just going to assume is a color matching puzzle game like Candy Crush but with dicks instead of candy.

But that really doesn't address the problem brought up in the video, I think. Those same people made a video about why demos aren't released all that much anymore which cited a similar issue that these open betas, especially the free open betas, also have. In fact, I'd say open betas are just demos but in a new brown paper bag.

The issue is, with so much product coming out, playing a beta can scratch that itch for people who really want to play the game, so that does not translate into a sale. Why should they buy the full game. They already played as much of the game as they wanted and have now moved on to something else.

Worse, as also noted in the video, their opinion of the game may be colored by all the bugs that betas usually have. So when a friend expresses interest in buying the game, they'll tell them how buggy the beta was and discourage them.

i just don't see the upside for the developer.

QuotePlayers participate mostly because they have a say in the direction of the game, if they want to say something to the devs. and also they get to see how the game progresses.
People in general like to see works in progress.

Yes, I know people are entitled twat donkeys who simply must have the newest, hottest, freshest thing before everyone else even if it's currently a broken piece of monkey spunk and won't be hot, new or fresh when it is finally released.

QuoteDevelopers and publishers do it to make sure that: 1 they can work on issues that show up when people are on the servers and 2 so they get feedback of what players want in the final release of the game.

[list=1]
  • You mean they didn't do that before? Granted having an open beta gives you a much bigger pool to drown the sack of kittens in, but that pool is likely the first round of paying customers who willing to pay the ridiculous launch day price you would have had if you hadn't given them the game for free, thus reducing sales.

Development has come a long way since my day when Mattel Electronics might assign two, three people tops, on a given title. But playtesting is part of the process of making a game. If you can't afford to do that in-house, you probably shouldn't be making games, then.

Also, I wouldn't take any feedback from the general public. The general public is full of idiots who should learn how to shut up.

Imagine if they had put that Guardians of the Galaxy movie out in theaters six months ago, but without any of the special effect added because they weren't done yet. Rocket Raccoon and Groot was a ping pong ball on a stick so the actors could have a marker to look at for eye line. What good would this be? Everyone who went to see it, even if it was a reduced ticket price or even free, would have been given a suboptimal experience because the fucking movie wasn't finished yet. Many either wouldn't bother to go see the finished film "because I already saw it" or even if they do go to see it, will have a reduced experienced of the final product because they saw it before it was done.

I just don't get it, honestly.

I also don't get why Microsoift and Sony are touting beta access for their console. "Come play our broken games." It sells, I guess.

PickelledEggs

Ok? Not sure what you want me to do about it...

Sent from your mom

_Xenu_

Quote from: StupidWiz on August 03, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
Yeah, I share the sentiment. I'd rather wait at least 1 year if I want to get into that new online game. There must be some long lasting exclusive compensation for me to play in Beta or earlier version. I guess it depends on each gamer, if they like the game's concept and gameplay so much, they'll beta test it for free. It's all about passion, I suppose.
I've done with that one game, The Forest, which is still in alpha. The idea for me at least, is buy it now for 15 bucks, when the completed version will probably cost more after I'm grandfathered in.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

GrinningYMIR

Dawn of war, 4 bucks?

Hard to resist
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on August 04, 2014, 04:51:48 PM
Dawn of war, 4 bucks?

Hard to resist
You're talking about the DoW1 GoTY on Steam?  Def worth it imho.

GrinningYMIR

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't know if I'm in the mood to play
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

I can't believe that even now, with thousands of games at my disposal, I can't think of a damn thing that I want to play

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on August 04, 2014, 08:28:15 PM
I can't believe that even now, with thousands of games at my disposal, I can't think of a damn thing that I want to play

DOTAAAAAAAAAAAA

lol