Black Christians - Why do they exist?

Started by Blackleaf, July 30, 2016, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g2perk

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 18, 2016, 05:13:04 PM
No. It is not an opinion. You do not have a relationship with God. You do not interact with him. You talk, he stays silent. That is not a relationship. Unless you actually hear his voice when you pray to him, in which case I'd say you need some medication.
No. No actual voice. But insight and conformation on all my prayers.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 05:23:28 PM
No. No actual voice. But insight and conformation on all my prayers.

Both of which can be explained by your own natural thought processes. Funny that. And when this "insight" turns out to be wrong, that's exactly how you explain it, don't you? It was you who thought it. There was no God communicating with you.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

g2perk

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 18, 2016, 05:30:23 PM
Both of which can be explained by your own natural thought processes. Funny that. And when this "insight" turns out to be wrong, that's exactly how you explain it, don't you? It was you who thought it. There was no God communicating with you.
Are you that smart that you can tell someone what they experience. Maybe not believing is not helping you after all...lol

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 03:58:50 PMWhat do you have to look forward to with not believing in anything.
Well I haven't played Dominions 4 for a few patches, so I'm looking forward to a playthrough of EA R'lyeh that's actually winnable. I'm also looking to clear out an old, unused workshop on the farm to use as a VR space in the future.

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 03:58:50 PMDo you live without any hope.
For the moment, yes. I am content with my life and don't feel the need to hope for anything.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 05:32:23 PM
Are you that smart that you can tell someone what they experience. Maybe not believing is not helping you after all...lol
He's referring to a known psychological phenomenon known as the simulacrum.

Blackleaf

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 05:32:23 PM

My God. It's like trying to argue with a child.

Do you have any experience of God--ANYTHING--that cannot be explained by something natural?
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 09:06:01 AM
Ok. Mike , again google it. Jesus Christ was a real man that walk on this earth. Look for the facts please.

Oh, my friend, I have looked at the facts.  I think maybe you need to look at some facts---oh, what am I thinking??  You do not like facts.  You like beliefs.  So, you believe jesus existed and this is nothing anybody can say to change that belief--because this belief of yours is your faith.  BTW, I've read about this subject for over 15 years now.  But I realize that this does not impress you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2016, 09:54:00 AM
So I recently found the Cult of Dusty channel on YouTube via a collaboration video with The Amazing Atheist and several others. The guy is hilarious and has some really interesting points. Last night, I watched a video of his titled "Black Christians = Uncle Toms." I remember this thought passing through my head once. Why would a people adopt the religion of those who brutally kill and torture them, who capture them from their homes and treat them as subhuman property? Why wouldn't black people cast aside the religion that was forced upon them after they were made free? I could understand black Muslims, but Christians?

And one of the funny things I've noticed is that some predominantly black churches still have old white men in leadership positions. So little has changed. White men still use their religion to control black people. How do they never make this connection?

Dusty made some very good points. If Christianity is true, then black people kind of owe their ancestors' slave masters, don't they? If it wasn't for them, these black people would be doomed to eternal Hell fire. Isn't it better to suffer for a little while on earth than to die and go to Hell to suffer forever? So on behalf of my (probably) slave owning ancestors, you're welcome black Christians!

But as a student in psychology, of course I understand. After generations and generations of the religion being forced on them, of course they'd stop questioning it. It's kind of like Stockholm Syndrome, except applied to generations rather than individuals. But it's time that black Christians woke up and realize that it makes absolutely no sense for them to continue worshiping the god who was used to defend the slavery and treatment of their ancestors.

You do realize not all slaves are black?

Also many slaves of the bible were unable to pay back someone and worked their debt off.

You sound like you think Christianity is a white religion. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMYou do realize not all slaves are black?

Yes. Unlike the slave owners of recent Western history, ancient slave owners were equal opportunity slavers. But guess what. That does nothing to take away from anything I said. The slave trade in the West was exclusively the trade of black people to white masters.

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMAlso many slaves of the bible were unable to pay back someone and worked their debt off.

Thank you Father Kaleb, but like your previous point, this one does nothing to take away from what I've said. Biblical slavery and the Western slave trade were two different things.

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMYou sound like you think Christianity is a white religion. Is that true?

Do you think that the black people of Africa were worshiping Jesus? No. White men forced their religion on them, giving no respect to the religious practices of their own people. And for some reason, many years after being given freedom, they continue to practice the religion that their ancestor's masters forced on them. Christianity was just one of many tools of oppression used by white men.
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMYou do realize not all slaves are black?
Yes, we know that all slaves throughout history were not black. We were talking about the black ones.

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMAlso many slaves of the bible were unable to pay back someone and worked their debt off.
Yes, this was common throughout the world up to classical times and early antiquity. This does not make slavery a moral thing to impose.

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on August 31, 2016, 08:56:48 PMYou sound like you think Christianity is a white religion. Is that true?
Christianity, as we know it today, was created by what we would now call white Europeans. So if "white religion" means "invented by white people," then it is a white religion.

Turnabout is fair play when you're being pedantic, bud.

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 01, 2016, 12:26:34 AM
Yes, we know that all slaves throughout history were not black. We were talking about the black ones.
Yes, this was common throughout the world up to classical times and early antiquity. This does not make slavery a moral thing to impose.
Christianity, as we know it today, was created by what we would now call white Europeans. So if "white religion" means "invented by white people," then it is a white religion.

Turnabout is fair play when you're being pedantic, bud.

What do you mean Christianity as we know it is a white religion?

How did you come to that conclusion?

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 01, 2016, 12:22:25 AM
Yes. Unlike the slave owners of recent Western history, ancient slave owners were equal opportunity slavers. But guess what. That does nothing to take away from anything I said. The slave trade in the West was exclusively the trade of black people to white masters.

Thank you Father Kaleb, but like your previous point, this one does nothing to take away from what I've said. Biblical slavery and the Western slave trade were two different things.

Do you think that the black people of Africa were worshiping Jesus? No. White men forced their religion on them, giving no respect to the religious practices of their own people. And for some reason, many years after being given freedom, they continue to practice the religion that their ancestor's masters forced on them. Christianity was just one of many tools of oppression used by white men.

Can you show me proof that Christianity was none existent on the continent of Africa pre white European slavery?

I am a father of two. But I am definitely not a Catholic Father.

SGOS

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on September 01, 2016, 06:40:22 AM

Can you show me proof that Christianity was none existent on the continent of Africa pre white European slavery?

I am a father of two. But I am definitely not a Catholic Father.

Do you understand the question posed by this thread?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on September 01, 2016, 06:27:28 AMWhat do you mean Christianity as we know it is a white religion?
The major branches which exist today were founded in Europe.

Kaleb5000

Quote from: SGOS on September 01, 2016, 09:18:18 AM
Do you understand the question posed by this thread?

First answer my question please.