Main Menu

Why atheism over agnosticism?

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 19, 2015, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 12:33:11 PM
i also think your premise is faulty

what kind of a person is tempted to harm others? other than a bad person
Really? I mean fucking really? Oh c'mon people, are you giving this guy a pass because he is "polite"? Really?
QuoteWhat kind of person is tempted to harm others? other than a bad person

Have you ever bothered to read the babble of which you pretend to champion? Have you ever studied the god and the jesus that you blabber on about?

Here, let an atheist help you understand your wonderful god, read Genesis 22:1

And don't come back here saying that this is not "harming others".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 12:33:11 PM
what kind of a person is tempted to harm others? other than a bad person
yes thats a bold statement, but i do think people who do harm to others are not good people

The surgeon that cut me open did me a great deal of harm.  It took me weeks to recover from the operation.

A surgeon is tempted to harm others on a daily basis for their own good.   It doesn't make them bad people.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Contemporary Protestant

I don't think what the surgery constitutes "harm", it was "help" because it was needed

I stand by my statement that if a person is harmful, as in causing harm, they cannot be good

harm
härm/Submit
noun
noun: harm
physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted.

considering that emotional turmoil has physical symptoms, emotional harm is the same as physical harm

I do think that a person has control over their actions

in all honesty, this has gotten petty (of little importance; trivial.)  i don't care to convince anyone I'm right, and some of the counter points are ridiculous (a surgeon, really?)

how did testing abraham do anything? only a goat died (it would have died anyways)

and I recognize in King James Land it says tempted, other translations say tested

I am honestly offended that y'all would say stuff like "if you have such and such sickness, why is God good?"

To be frank, involving my personal medical condition to "prove" me wrong, makes you a jerk, lack of better word
I mean really, who does that, this is why I think conversation is petty
its all hypothetical
Ive been replying to be polite (getting annoyed and leaving, will prompt more needless remarks) but honestly Im done with this thread

leo

CP if you bother  to really read the bible , you will find a character(god) that make Hitler a very nice guy by comparison. Yahveh is a monster.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

yeah
judges
joshua
genesis
are the three worst

I know that

but i don't see how complaining about wars that probably didn't happen disproves god, it disproves a literalist view of some jewish stories for sure, but how does it disprove god (theism, not Yehweh, which is the god of war in some cultures)

I mentioned in a previous post that currently, I only believe in a god and humanitarianism, the rest i don't know

so that is why I am getting annoyed about this banter about the bible, when its already been addressed
I know this stuff, y'all know this stuff, so why the heck are people talking about my health, its rude and pointless

leo

CP you are a nice guy but arguing with you about christianity is a waste of time. You decided to be a believer. And believers only care about their beliefs and not about the truth. Maybe you are visiting this site because of curiosity.  I don't expect you  to give up your beliefs anytime soon.

Contemporary Protestant

I am visiting this site out of curiosity, thats why this post was a question, and my first post declared my intention to just watch, ask questions, maybe a write something to my fellow believers about sensitivity

I never wanted to argue

leo

I don't mind that you are visiting the site and asking questions. You are a nice guy . You aren't a theist troll. And that's refreshing.  But I still think that talking with you about the truth of christian dogmas is a waste of time. You are already made up your mind.

Contemporary Protestant

I just don't like argumentum ad scriptura

if anyones argument (theist or atheist) is based on a holy book, to me that argument is moot

on church dogma, I am against a religious government, and any strict set of rules all together

I stay in Church not because I buy into what they say, but because it is a community that I will be accepted in.
In addition to that, I see most debates about dogma has obnoxious, they go on forever
for every complaint an atheist can make, there is a carm.org page ready to argue with them
it is way to much time to research and decide on each issue, considering the argument goes on and on

So I simply just stick with progressive christians (they don't appear to harass people) for companionship and I believe in God for personal reasons.

If I could change my username I would, I am far more neutral on issues than I was a year ago

Shiranu

Just reading over, and if this has been responded to I am sorry (just skimming)...

Quotewhat kind of a person is tempted to harm others? other than a bad person

Is an officer who intentionally shoots an armed suspect a "bad person", since he is by definition causing harm?

What about a Colombian or Guatemalan "gangster" who was forced into the crime scene to protect their family from harassment and/or death and commits violent acts for the gang?

Is the kid who was raised from the time he was young that black people are "worthless" and "sub-human" and treats minorities like it necessarily a "bad person"?

There are very few "bad people", and more accurately the truly "bad" people are the one's with mental illnesses that lost the genetic lottery and were born with negative traits that cause them to harm society. 
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Contemporary Protestant

Good point about self defense, and I personally don't know what to think about that, I have decided for myself that I am a pacifist and I don't want to harm anyone, if someone wants my money, they can have it, the only thing worth defending is the lives of my family, but I don't own any weapons, so if attacked, Im pretty much screwed

I don't think there are only a small few bad people or else there wouldn't be so much injustice in the world

I would say there are just an overwhelmingly number of complacent people who allow bad people to do bad things, it is messed up that Gangsters are the law in slums (like in Nairobi) and that they poison the people with bad moonshine.

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 02:28:15 PMI don't think what the surgery constitutes "harm", it was "help" because it was needed
It actually is harm.  Generally a superficial and easily healed harm, but yeah, being cut open is inherently harmful.  Though of course, surgery is minor harm offset by long-term health improvement.  At least, that's the plan.  Some don't go so well.

Quotebut i don't see how complaining about wars that probably didn't happen disproves god, it disproves a literalist view of some jewish stories for sure, but how does it disprove god (theism, not Yehweh, which is the god of war in some cultures)
So those wars "figuratively" happened?   :think:

Quotefor every complaint an atheist can make, there is a carm.org page ready to argue with them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

Contemporary Protestant

I didn't say it was a good argument, I'm just stating there is a plethora of people who have "answers" to any sort of question

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 02:53:37 PM

So I simply just stick with progressive christians

A christian by definition is one who believes in the Jesus of the New Testament, if you are proclaiming that you believe there was a character named jesus who is not in any part the definition and/of the stories of the New Testament and who in no way claims to be the son of the god of the OT and in no way represents any part of the bible , then you are not a christian of any denomination. Period. You are a whole new religion that has never been discovered before. So please tell us how you came to understand of this jesus fellow that you never heard of except for the babble?

I think we all would be enthralled with this.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

I heard of Jesus from Aaron Brockett in Indianapolis via Gospel
In addition to Tacticus, Pliny the Younger, James Ossuary

I agree with the philosophy of Jesus; helping people, self control, et cetera

Brockett gave a sermon about people who believe in God but haven't done much about it, asked if anyone wanted to Baptized
I did, and I was

I do believe that Jesus died on the cross, rose on the third day

Are you happy?
You gonna ridicule me now?