News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why atheism over agnosticism?

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 19, 2015, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 01:49:25 PM
eh protestants are really divided on issues but its always been told to me that all sin is deadly
I am really not trying to be a pedant here. I just do not understand this. Have you just accepted that without understanding it?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Contemporary Protestant

i do understand it, i am just assuming it is specific to my branch which would explain why not everyone has

all sin is deadly because they all constitute some sort of short fall and have consequences

trdsf

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 10:53:00 AM
I know that I have the burden of proof, I recognize that stating there is something greater is an extradinary claim, and i admit i lack sufficient intellectual justification.

What would be enough proof for you? the answer to that question is different for various people

That's a fair question, and the answer is, I don't know.  I haven't determined a way to differentiate between a deity, and a sufficiently advanced (but otherwise natural) alien.  Think of it as a a variant on Clarke's Law: not only is any sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic, but any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a deity -- and when you come down to it, there is no difference between 'magic' and 'divine power', unless you want to quibble about source and scale.

Even on our own planet, we see examples of that actually happening: I recommend looking up cargo cults.  My own favorite is the one that's decided Prince Philip of the United Kingdom is a god.  Now imagine something as much more advanced than Western civilization as Western civilization is over those islanders appearing to us.  Is it likely that many people will mistake advanced technology for magic/divine power?  I think it's not only likely, it's inevitable.

In the main, I would generally plump for alienhood over godhood, on the basis that an alien is still the product of the natural processes of the universe and not outside them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Contemporary Protestant

fair point, and thanks for being straightforward

SkyChief

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 08:01:48 PM
It appears to me that more people are atheist, than there are agnostics. Which doesn't make sense to me, isn't atheism an assumption about something that cannot be known with certainty?

Nope. 

Atheism makes no assumptions or claims.

It is simply the lack of belief in gods.   Period.

Don't feel bad...   There's a lot of folks who share your misconception about the definition of atheism.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Hijiri Byakuren

"Atheist" was a term invented by the Greeks to describe someone who didn't believe in Theos (Zeus). Everyone in modern times is an atheist.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

leo

CP why you are protestant anyway ? Any specific reason ?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

distrust of major institutions such as the catholic church

for the record, i dont trust joel olsteen either