News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

drunkenshoe

Hydra, 'meme' means 'boob' in my mother language. I think, you'd appreciate that happy accident too? :lol: "Boobal Territory."
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 04, 2022, 10:20:59 AM

aka Memel Territory

Huh, I guess I can say I have ancestors from the Memeland Coast... I like that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Hydra009

They should crash it into this dum-dum's house instead.

Gawdzilla Sama

That's a lot of mass to accelerate out of low Earth orbit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 05, 2022, 05:04:33 PM
That's a lot of mass to accelerate out of low Earth orbit.
ISS = 980,208 lbs (444,615 kg)
2019 Honda Accord LX = 3,131 lbs (1,420 kg)

So it's the equivalent of dropping 313 cars out of an airplane into the ocean.  I've seen worse.

Fun fact: the crash site is Point Nemo, a remote area in the south Pacific, chosen as a dumping site because it's as far away from land as possible.
Not so fun fact: Point Nemo is very close to the fictional (maybe) underwater city of R'lyeh, where dread Cthulhu lies dreaming.  And with strange aeons...

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2022, 09:26:25 PM
ISS = 980,208 lbs (444,615 kg)
2019 Honda Accord LX = 3,131 lbs (1,420 kg)

So it's the equivalent of dropping 313 cars out of an airplane into the ocean.  I've seen worse.

Fun fact: the crash site is Point Nemo, a remote area in the south Pacific, chosen as a dumping site because it's as far away from land as possible.
Not so fun fact: Point Nemo is very close to the fictional (maybe) underwater city of R'lyeh, where dread Cthulhu lies dreaming.  And with strange aeons...
Maybe the whole point of dumping spacecraft there is because of the paucity of land which contains people. If the debris falls on Cthulu, may he rise to our doom! Though that will not be likely to happen. Apologies to H.P. Lovecraft.

Gawdzilla Sama

Hydra, we have to add the fuel used for the boost? And the trips up there to add the boosters and fill the fuel tanks?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 06, 2022, 08:01:35 AM
Hydra, we have to add the fuel used for the boost? And the trips up there to add the boosters and fill the fuel tanks?
The average person has neither the intellect nor the capacity to understand the math of sending a rocket into space. Not that it is necessary to understand the math, but to appreciate it. The average human does not even understand the speed of which the world spins…nor how it would effect the flight of a rocket much less the calculations being used because of it. My wife thinks that rockets are “diverted” east to secretly land in the Bermuda Triangle…….seriously. She was rather flummoxed  that I could  even present a reasonable point to it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, but I was hopin' for an back of the napkin estimate.
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 05, 2022, 11:38:16 PM
Apologies to H.P. Lovecraft.

You really don't have to.

Lots of people are racist. Not everybody writes poetry about it.