News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

There's been a LOT going on lately and I can't really do it justice.

Major developments:

* Russian bombardment of Ukraine continues, hitting Ukrainian energy infrastructure and injuring/killing civilians.

* For their part, Ukraine struck another Russian oil refinery - iirc one that was previously damaged - and did massive damage there.  There's some footage of it that is particularly fiery and dramatic.

* Russia invaded northeastern Ukraine from the Russian border.  While early reports had them taking ground, they were ultimately repulsed.  Ukraine had to bring in some reserve units to deal with it, which highlights the severity of the threat.

It is sometimes described as a "surprise attack" in Western media - but not in Ukrainian media - and that's because Ukrainian media has issued warnings about amassed Russian infantry and equipment along the Russian border in the northeast direction for weeks if not months.  So no, it wasn't a surprise attack, only surprising to some western journalist who apparently wasn't paying much attention.

With intensified operations off and on along the southern, eastern, and north-eastern parts of the front, Russia appears to be trying to steal as much land as possible before the US aid package starts to materially manifest for Ukraine.

* Germany is planning to purchase 3 more Himars from the US and donate them to Ukraine.  I am out of clue as to why the US doesn't just donate them directly.

* the US is readying another aid package for Ukraine - this one for $400 million worth of military hardware.

* Poland, which already build a border wall with Belarus in 2022, is now preparing to build trenches and bunkers along its border with Belarus and Russia.  Given their history, Poland is understandably leery about Russians on the march.  And since Russia continues to recruit enough infantry to replenish their ranks - almost 30k/month iirc - and has embarked on a nakedly aggressive campaign unlikely to end anytime soon, so a better-safe-than-sorry approach seems prudent.

Dark Lightning

If those hard line republicans didn't have their heads up their asses, Ukraine would've already got a lot of what they need. If that isn't enough reason to flush them along with the orange turd, I don't know what is.

Hydra009

Just desserts: Invaders hit while gathering for celebrations at a Donestk Restaurant

Himars strike.  So it wasn't so much terrifying for the invaders as it was their comrades in the parking lot.

Russian propagandists claim that it hit two uninhabited buildings and no one was injured, as usual.  They also say they destroyed a himars on the second story of a building and have destroyed more himars than Ukraine has ever had LOL, so I don't think they're being very truthful.  Russian telegram is suspiciously outraged about an attack that allegedly did nothing.

In an especially cheeky move, the propagandist added that "cardio is healthier than driving a car".  I agree, and certainly those Russians in the parking lot bravely running away did indeed extend their lives.  They should keep on running all the way to the border and live even longer lives.

Unfortunately, it seems that the strike may have been a tad premature - himars o'clock comes early sometimes - and apparently quite a few were still in the parking lot when it hit.  A surprise party next time, probably.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 10, 2024, 08:21:35 PMIf those hard line republicans didn't have their heads up their asses, Ukraine would've already got a lot of what they need. If that isn't enough reason to flush them along with the orange turd, I don't know what is.

They don't have their heads up their asses.

They're on Putin's payroll.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 11, 2024, 04:30:54 PMThey don't have their heads up their asses.

They're on Putin's payroll.

They certainly act that way!

Hydra009

US approves sale of three himars to Germany, which Germany will send to Ukraine

Ukraine will also receive additional IRIS-T missiles, purchased by Canada from Germany

Hydra009

Ukraine strikes Russian oil refinery in Volgograd

Whoops!  Wrong article.  Wow, 12 billion rubles (~$100 million usd) worth of modernizations in 2022.  Quite a nice investment.  Under the right conditions, that could reap a handsome prof...and it's gone.