News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian logic, at it's best

Started by widdershins, April 05, 2016, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Here's a fun article entitled "Another Biblically Historic Find Provides Evidence of Mary Magdalene’s Existence".  Quite an informative read, and some real insight into how historians determine what is "accurate history".  Apparently there as a find in Israel in what is believed to be the ancient city of Magdala, where Mary Magdalene is supposedly from, of an ancient synagogue.  This logic is a little trick to follow, but I'll try to paraphrase it for you.  This is the city of Magdala, and they found an ancient synagogue in it.  Magdala is where Mary Magdalene was from, so finding a holy site there proves people were religious.  But that's not all!  They also found a coin dating 29AD, about the time Jesus walked the earth!  This proves that specific time actually existed!  There was, without doubt, a 29 AD!  Isn't that amazing?  And "jigsaw" must mean "you", PROVING that Mary Magdalen, who was in no way linked to the site, was a real person, this was probably her house and Jesus (also in no way linked to the site) was almost certainly there!  How could he have been there if he wasn't a real person, atheists?!  Answer that!
This sentence is a lie...

TomFoolery

How does having Jesus' sex fruit play into narrative? Or was that conveniently left out?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

If you want to believe in a sky daddy who sent himself as his own son to die for all the sins in the world, then believing "Magdala was a real place that produced a real woman named Mary who probably had the wherewithal to support Jesus in his ministry and follow him all the way to Calvary," is no sweat.

Notice the word " probably" thrown in there to reflect a serious proposition.

SGOS

Well, there's a lot of actual data there, enough to start a convoluted and non sequitur argument that comes to a desired conclusion and gets a bunch of ditto heads agreeing with the premise.  And that accomplishes the objective (to get a bunch of ditto heads agreeing).  And fuck the logic required to assemble the data correctly.

widdershins

In other news, see God's Not Dead 2 in theaters now!  It's getting harder to convince people the first one was not a crappy movie, but something that really, really happened to your cousin's, friend's, boyfriend's, ex-wife's, aunt's, friend's cousin, so re-up today!  And remember, what you see on that screen is every bit as real as God!

Baruch

TV isn't real?  Heretic ... burn the heretic ;-)

Magdala wouldn't have been much more than a small fishing village, with an old defensive tower (a migdal hence magdala).  They found a 1st century fishing boat near there some years ago.  A coin that can be identified and dated ... can be useful in dating ruins, depending on where it is found.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on April 05, 2016, 01:15:34 PM

Magdala wouldn't have been much more than a small fishing village, with an old defensive tower (a migdal hence magdala).  They found a 1st century fishing boat near there some years ago.  A coin that can be identified and dated ... can be useful in dating ruins, depending on where it is found.
You're missing the point.  This was the town Mary Magdalene was from AND they found a coin from around the time Jesus was supposed to be walking around which IRREFUTABLY proves the Bible is a historical document with 100% accuracy and trumps all your stupid science and facts!

stromboli

CNS news is a conservative xtian media source, so not necessarily unbiased. They also have an article about "How Gay Marriage Hurts Us" so I'd say they have an agenda.

widdershins

Quote from: stromboli on April 05, 2016, 03:38:57 PM
CNS news is a conservative xtian media source, so not necessarily unbiased. They also have an article about "How Gay Marriage Hurts Us" so I'd say they have an agenda.
Oh yes, I have noticed this.  I don't remember the article, but there was something a couple of weeks ago that was so Christian-right slanted that it just infuriated me.  Stupid Yahoo page sometimes comes up with shit that's only "news" by the standards of Faux watchers and Bigfoot chasers.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 05, 2016, 01:15:34 PM

And, as I'll bet you know, the anno domini dating system wasn't devised until 525 CE, by Dionysius Exiguus, so there could not have been any coin dated "29 AD."

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllRight

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 05, 2016, 05:31:18 PM
And, as I'll bet you know, the anno domini dating system wasn't devised until 525 CE, by Dionysius Exiguus, so there could not have been any coin dated "29 AD."

Not even wrong ;-)  Venerable Bede, in Anglo-Saxon England, invented Anno Domini ... based on calendrical calculations by Dionysius Exiguus (really Easter calculations) ... who got it wrong by at least 4 years.  That is why the King Herod the Great died 4 years before the massacre of the innocents in Bethlehem ;-)

Technically the date on the coin would be LIS = Year 16 = 29 C.E. ... basically the regnal year in the reign of Tiberius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Procurator_coinage
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: AllRight on April 05, 2016, 05:48:30 PM
Nipper could explain it to us.
Premise #1: the Bible is true
Conclusion:  the Bible is true

Poison Tree

It is actually not clear that the gospel writers intended to say that Mary was from Magdalene. If they had intended to say that she was from Magdalene they could have and, we should assume, would have. Instead they said that she was "called Magdalene" and refer to her as "the Magdalene". It is used as a name or title; maybe she was just really tall and never escaped her childhood nickname. There is also the problem that Josephus refers to the city as Taricheae, not Magdalene, in his writings.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

stromboli

You used the word "christian" and "logic" in the same sentence. Deduct three (3) internets from your account. Carry on.