About the idea that conspiracies are all nonsense?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 07, 2016, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Official inquiries though, are usually political/commercial coverups.  The inquiry into the sinking of the Titanic, completely exonerated the Cunard Line and the captain at the helm ;-)  So unfortunately, there was an official inquiry into 9/11 ... so we will never know.  There was an official inquiry into the Challenger failure ... but fortunately a general poked a physicist into telling the truth ... Feynman.  Without that nudge, and Feynman, NASA and Morton Thiokol would have been ... found innocent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 09, 2016, 06:13:19 PM
There actually are parallels between conspiracy theorists and religious people.  The most obvious ones are a reliance on personal conviction instead of hard facts and a tendency to hang onto disproven claims, either ignoring disconfirming evidence or obstinately denying that their claims are disproven at all.
That is absolutely true. Most conspiracy theorists are whacked out and believe some really dumb stuff.. There's no denying that. That is true for most people in the world. Most people in the world are theists afterall.

Nothing I've said on 9/11 has been disproven. Al Qaeda being involved we can agree on. The Bush Administrations involvement or lack of involvement is a separate matter from the Al Qaeda question. This question is still up in the air, while the Al Qaeda question is not still up in the air. It's been settled. Al Qaeda did it, or at least hihacked the planes. It's still up in the air whether the Bush Admin allowed it to happen, so let's not pretend that this is all one question rather than two separate matters. You don't just get to say, Al Qaeda did it, so end of story. It's not the end of the story. Knowing that Al Qaeda did it only answers part of the story, not the entire story.

I have no problem with the idea that the official story of 9/11 is correct. I have no problem with the idea that it's unlikely that the Bush Admin would have let 9/11 happen. I have no problem with "truthers" being called out or compared to Christians when these people make claims that can't be backed up, and this is something that they absolutely do all the time. There's no doubt about that. Truthers are mostly too sure of themselves, just like most other people are too sure of themselves. What does this prove though? Does it tell us one way or the other whether the Bush Admin allowed the attacks to happen? It doesn't tell us anything about that. This is still a legitimate question, no matter how many truthers make asses out of themselves.

Why mirror the truthers who act like they know everything, by acting like you yourself know everything? This is what we always say about Christians. That they are afraid to say "I don't know". Why can't we just say "I don't know" when it comes to the Bush Administrations involvement in 9/11? If your response to me is that I haven't proven anything about 9/11, you would be right. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just making a case to say that it's ok to doubt the government. So to recap, I'm fine with the idea that 9/11 happened as they say it did. I'm fine with the idea that it's unlikely that the Bush Admin had anything to do with it. If you're going to say I'm the same as a flat earther or something like that for even raising questions and saying maybe just maybe Bush let it happen, then I'm sorry, but you are acting like you have knowledge that you can't possibly have. We are all going by the same facts here. You don't have that knowledge, so don't pretend you do. None of us do. All we can do is speculate, one way or the other. You speculate one way, and I the other. Again, I'm not trying to say that most conspiracy theorists aren't morons, and I'm not trying to prove anything about 9/11. That was never the point for me. I'm just defending those who say "maybe, just maybe". These people are not the same as flat earthers. If someone makes a claim that can't be backed up, go ahead and call them on that.

Johan

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 09, 2016, 03:07:32 PM
and that's why my take on 9/11 can't be debunked.
And what exactly is your take? If its what you wrote in the above post then yeah, it can be debunked. Pretty easily actually.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Johan on March 09, 2016, 07:19:22 PM
And what exactly is your take? If its what you wrote in the above post then yeah, it can be debunked. Pretty easily actually.
My take is that Bush and Cheney may have let it happen. Go ahead and debunk.

josephpalazzo

There's a ghost in my attic. I dare anyone to disprove that.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 09, 2016, 07:30:54 PM
There's a ghost in my attic. I dare anyone to disprove that.
Why bring in the supernatural? That would only make sense if ghosts were already known to exist. My claim was that Bush and Cheney may have lied to get into a war. They have been known to lie to get into war. That is reality. All I'm saying is maybe they did once more, what we already know they have done and were willing to do, because they did it in Iraq. Lie to go to war. I'm proposing they may have done something we know they have done before. That's not something farfetched like a belief in ghosts. Not even close. You think Bush didn't let it happen, and that is speculation on your part. I am speculating just the same as you are. We are doing the same thing, so don't act like you are going by the facts and I am denying any facts, because that's not the case.

Johan

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 09, 2016, 07:27:34 PM
With advanced knowledge of the event or without?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Johan on March 09, 2016, 08:00:38 PM
I don't know exactly what the Bush admin knew. Maybe Bush knew exactly what was going on, what time it was going to happen, etc. Maybe he knew less than that. I don't know.

They had a shitload of warnings that Bin Laden was determined to attack. I don't know if they knew all the specifics. The WTC and Washington should have been obvious targets though. Muslims went after the WTC before, so those buildings should have been protected if the government didn't want them to be hit. PNAC said shortly before 9/11 that there was consensus among those in power. They wanted to see a "transformation" with the US military. They said this transformation would be painfully slow without a Pearl Harbor like event. So, shortly before 9/11, PNAC is admitting that those in power can't accomplish what they want to accomplish as is. Something big needs to happen, they say. Shortly after that, Bush is elected, and something more than big happens. The neo-cons get their Pearl Harbor. Now, that doesn't show that they made it or let it happen, but what it shows is that those in power benefit from 9/11 in a big way, and this is why I say maybe, just maybe they let it happen.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 09, 2016, 07:27:34 PM

Been done, FDR let Pearl Harbor happen.  Then Hitler also declared war on the US ... and this was a good thing that the American people were opposed to.  Americans were pro-German but anti-Japanese ... because racism.

But there will be no paper, signed by FDR in his own blood ... saying that this was so.  But then we have no paper, signed by Washington in his own blood ... that the Constitution of 1787 was a coup ... though it was.  There was no authority for the convention.  But then Americans are traitors.

Of course one can say that the public existence of the PNAC is proof of intent ... and others would say that the PNAC shows intent, but that doesn't convict anyone in court ... you have to have blood on your hands, not just intent to kill.

Denial or agreement ... regarding FDR or Shrub ... is a matter of politics.  And no ... Lincoln didn't let the South start a war ... snicker!  All politician's ethics are as white as the driven snow ... and I am in kindergarten still wearing pull-ups ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2016, 06:57:58 PM
Official inquiries though, are usually political/commercial coverups.  The inquiry into the sinking of the Titanic, completely exonerated the Cunard Line and the captain at the helm ;-)  So unfortunately, there was an official inquiry into 9/11 ... so we will never know.  There was an official inquiry into the Challenger failure ... but fortunately a general poked a physicist into telling the truth ... Feynman.  Without that nudge, and Feynman, NASA and Morton Thiokol would have been ... found innocent.
Spoken like a true conspiracy theorist.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 10, 2016, 08:09:04 AM
Spoken like a true conspiracy theorist.

Tell me how the Titanic investigation or the Pearl Harbor commission etc all went down.  The government always tells the truth (and they know it, they know all things) and so do corporations.  Tide really is new and improved ... hallelujah!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Official inquiries though, are usually political/commercial coverups.  The inquiry into the sinking of the Titanic, completely exonerated the Cunard Line and the captain at the helm ;-)
How can anyone realistically be blamed for not wanting to run headlong into an iceburg? Or thinking that the best-built and compartmentalized ship to sail to that date could afford to skimp a little on the safety?

So unfortunately, there was an official inquiry into 9/11 ... so we will never know.
:lolhitting:

There was an official inquiry into the Challenger failure ... but fortunately a general poked a physicist into telling the truth ... Feynman.  Without that nudge, and Feynman, NASA and Morton Thiokol would have been ... found innocent.
Bullshit, as anyone who had read Feynman's account of his role in the investigation would know (What Do You Care What Other People Think?).
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2016, 01:10:40 PM
Tell me how the Titanic investigation or the Pearl Harbor commission etc all went down.  The government always tells the truth (and they know it, they know all things) and so do corporations.  Tide really is new and improved ... hallelujah!
It just so happens that I have all forty volumes of the Congressional Investigation into the Attack on Pearl Harbor online. http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/congress/

Enjoy reading the 38,000 pages, I did. (But I was 14 when I started reading them, so I  had ahead start on you.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

The problem here is that some folks think they have THE TRUTH and everybody else is just stupid. Doesn't do much for their credibility when they start of with "you ignorant sheeple don't know shit" and things go down hill from there.
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Johan on March 09, 2016, 08:00:38 PM
Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 09, 2016, 07:55:21 PM
You think Bush didn't let it happen, and that is speculation on your part.

But that would require the ability to read minds, which is not available, not more than investigating ghosts.

QuoteI am speculating just the same as you are. We are doing the same thing, so don't act like you are going by the facts and I am denying any facts, because that's not the case.

That was the point of my post. Investigating ghosts is just as bad as investigating the mind of W. Bush.