About the idea that conspiracies are all nonsense?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 07, 2016, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Johan on March 18, 2016, 07:14:18 PM
Oh boy a real live article written by a conspiracy theory idiot. And god exists because the bible says so. Guess you really showed me kiddo. Keep this up and I may sprain something from rolling my eyes so hard.
The source is irrelevant. MSNBC anchors admit to working with the Whitehouse, getting emails from the Whitehouse criticizing them while on air, and Cenk says he was told Washington didn't like his tone shortly before he was fired. If you still want to believe a free press exists, be my guest. Next you'll be telling me that it wasn't FOX News' job to make Bush look good, and that CNN isn't the Clinton News Network  :kiddingme:

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 19, 2016, 01:47:20 PM
The source is irrelevant.
And that's why we all accept the stuff written over at Answers in Genesis. Oh wait...
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Johan

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 19, 2016, 01:47:20 PM
The source is irrelevant.
'the fuck? Are you that fucking high or that fucking stupid?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on March 16, 2016, 07:01:42 PM
Of course, I would love for real aliens to show up ... but I am pretty sure they would bring a cookbook with them ;-(
"How to Serve man." A twilight special.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gerard

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2016, 06:21:13 PM
The professional journalists are complete Pravda bullshitters ... including Walter Cronkite.  During WW II, the Cold War, and since the USSR had a coronary ... all journalists are processed by the FBI and CIA to say only the things that the government wants them to say.  The free press only exists for people who have a press to print with.  This is pre-Internet ... to be a professional journalist, you had to be vetted and part of an official news organization (all of which are fellow travelers of their respective national governments).  A press pass stuck into the ribbon around your fedora.

We still have such people, in the age of the gonzo journalism of the Internet ... and they are to journalism what the DINOs and RINOs are to politics.  Some are more disruptive like Drudge, who is the Trump of the Internet.  Just ask to be invited to the next White House press conference ... just because of how wonderful you are.  Back in the day when there were only three TV stations ... this was easy.  Now the media is flooded with government trolls stirring everything up, so that people don't know what to believe.  This prevents public consensus.

DINO's and RINO's are at least somewhat dispassionate..... Only three TV stations? That was better. Face it... professional journalism is on the decline in America. Ít's not gone however. Whatever you may think of Walter Cronkite is beside the point. You don't have to like what they're telling you. As long as what they're saying is actually substantive.

Gerard

Gerard

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 20, 2016, 11:29:20 AM
"How to Serve man." A twilight special.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

IT'S A COOKBOOK!

Gerard

Gerard

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 20, 2016, 11:34:01 AM
How did we get on werewolves?

Uninformed and plain stupid suspicion. People heard the howls of wolves and accused their neighbors of the howling.

Gerard

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gerard on March 20, 2016, 11:57:51 AM
Uninformed and plain stupid suspicion. People heard the howls of wolves and accused their neighbors of the howling.

Gerard
I was referring, rather snarkily, to the "Twilight" reference.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Gerard on March 20, 2016, 11:54:37 AM
DINO's and RINO's are at least somewhat dispassionate..... Only three TV stations? That was better. Face it... professional journalism is on the decline in America. Ít's not gone however. Whatever you may think of Walter Cronkite is beside the point. You don't have to like what they're telling you. As long as what they're saying is actually substantive.

Gerard

Actually one had to listen to Eric Sevareid, Walter Cronkite pretended to not have an opinion ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGHm8iPeUY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Johan on March 19, 2016, 07:00:52 PM
'the fuck? Are you that fucking high or that fucking stupid?
The relevant part is a couple videos of MSNBC employees talking, and also the point that Cenk was warned that Washington didn't like his tone before he was fired. One of the videos wasn't a youtube video so I linked where I found it for you to go watch it. It's not my fault that you're too butthurt to click on the link and watch the video.

widdershins

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 18, 2016, 04:02:04 PM
I agree with most of that. I didn't mean to compare conspiracy theorists to scientists. I know they are nothing alike, and that most conspiracy theorists are whacked out. If I ever met these people, they probably wouldn't like me at all. I'm a left leaning atheist who is pro vaccines, and I think abortion is the best thing in the world. Why do I still watch these people's videos if I know they're full of shit? Me disagreeing with someone on a bunch of points is not reason enough for me to stop watching them. I still watch CNN, TYT, Secular Talk, RT, etc even though I hate them all and think they're all shit. I'll watch some Infowars clips from time to time even though I think they're full of shit and running a clown show. At least I can say that Alex Jones is a pretty entertaining comedian. That's all he is really. A comedian.

I agree about chemtrails. I think that idea is dumb too. Same with the idea that UFOs are alien spacecraft. I don't think extra-terrestrials have visited us, but I do assume they exist as do most scientists, despite the lack of evidence. This is why I say that evidence is not everything. If you want to show someone for sure that extra-terrestrials exist, you need to have the evidence to show them, true, but you don't need to see this alien life to say that it probably exists, and it's extremely unlikely that it does not exist.

Millions of people do think 9/11 was done by the Bush administration and these people are sure of themselves, but at the same time you have millions of people that have doubts, and these people are not like the average conspiracy theorist. Look at someone like APA. He's a smart guy. He's a left leaning atheist. He's not really anything like your average conspiracy theorist, but he says he has his doubts about 9/11. Is he a nut? Should APA be called a nutcase just because he has doubts? I don't think so. Not everyone asking questions is a crazy conspiracy theorist. Former CIA and FBI guys have said they think there's a very good chance the Bush administration let it happen. These are not your run of the mill conspiracy whackos.

I accept that I could be way off when it comes to 9/11. One of the arguments we use against theists is "Look at all these other people believing in different gods. That shows that the human mind is easily duped. If humans are that easily duped, how can you be sure you haven't just been duped too?" I accept that my thinking could be off, and maybe I've just driven myself a bit crazy by watching too many conspiracy theory videos. I don't think that this is the case, but I accept that it could be. I've never been a member of a conspiracy theory forum. I like how this forum keeps me grounded and challenges my ideas. I have no problem switching positions if I think the other person's argument is superior to mine. I've switched multiple positions on here, so I think I've shown that I'm not someone who is closed to changing their mind. I may change my mind about this at some point. I'm still young and learning how life works. I'm still just in my twenties. Anyways, I think it's good that we are having more of a mature, adult discussion about this topic than what usually happens with this topic, and I thank you for that.
A fair enough assessment.
This sentence is a lie...

Johan

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on March 20, 2016, 02:28:50 PM
The relevant part is a couple videos of MSNBC employees talking, and also the point that Cenk was warned that Washington didn't like his tone before he was fired. One of the videos wasn't a youtube video so I linked where I found it for you to go watch it. It's not my fault that you're too butthurt to click on the link and watch the video.
Ok once again, the article is written by a conspiracy theory nut. Therefore anything written in said article is suspect. Therefore the source is fucking relevant. I asked for evidence and you bring me the fucking bible. Try again kiddo.

As for the video in the link? It does NOTHING to serve as the evidence you claim to have and actually attempts to disprove what you claim since the last comment the woman (don't know her name nor care) made is that the reason she has white house talking points at the ready is because of an experience with a previous guest. No mention from her that she has talk points because her bosses make her do so. Hmm.....

Also this. Someday you may end up doing a job similar to mine in which you will get to interview lots of job applicants and talk to them about why they left previous jobs. And if you do, then I can guarantee that you will quickly learn a little fact about that. People who were fired tend to lie about the reasons they were fired. In fact using the words 'tend to' puts it way too mildly. People DO lie about why they were fired. A lot.

Yeah, so this is not me being butt hurt. This me saying once again bring actual real evidence or STFU.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/03/fbi-just-canceled-its-big-court-showdown-apple

So who do you believe?  The government, because of its national security function, has been spreading disinformation since 1776.  So what is true about the Apple-FBI story and what is false?  Do you trust Apple, a company that collaborates with Communist China?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.