News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is society collapsing?

Started by pr126, March 22, 2016, 05:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Who knows if society is gonna collapse. But it is clear that a portion of the liberals in the western wrold have lost the plot. They have embroiled themselves in an irrational and resentful ideology obsessed with identity and dismantling a mythologized white patriarchal heteronormative regime they see everywhere because they constantly wear their ideological glasses and are able to rationalize everything to fit into their limited framework. The rise of the alt-right and trump is a clear response to them that takes an excesively contrarian point of view. I have seen with my own eyes the effects of polarization and radicalisation. Since i followed and participated in response movements like gamergate and elevatorgate debates(but there are many more than those 2). This shit has spread in the last 3 years all around the internet and now into mainstream political discourse too. I have seen how reasonable liberals reacting to the SJW crazyness slowly fall into their own echochamber on either side and become radicalized. I have seen the very sexually liberal attitude on websites like 4chan change to be resentful of certain deviant sexualities because of dealing with crazy transexuals/genderqueer/madeupgenderlabels. Imo the way the debate has gone on this communities and movements where this ideas have entered and blown up, because of how much faster and unfettered is the communication online. This can and has worked as a predictor, a time machine, to see how the mainstream discourse will play out. No one knows how will society collapse but denying the problematic prospects of the spread of this ideas is stupid. Reasonable individuals should seek to elevate the level of discourse by shaving off the irrationality of the lowest level of speech in the debate and help prevent the in-group out-group biases from solidifying.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on March 22, 2016, 03:36:04 PM
But, what if it makes me feel super, duper special?  Like "I can have any girl I want even though I'm round and unattractive because I'm so super cool" special?  Can I give into hysteria then?
As long as I get to point and laugh, sure, go ahead.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Reposting:

Society may collapse one day but not because someone from the Right says so. And I can imagine that there are people on the Left who would also indulge into this kind of rhetoric.

The Egyptians didn't know their civilizations would collapse one day, neither the Romans nor the Incas. We shouldn't dismiss all harbingers of gloom, but just as important, we need to be vigilant that we don't fall into a reckless mindset.

Gawdzilla Sama

Society won't collapse, but, as JP noted, some societies do.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 22, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
Reposting:

Society may collapse one day but not because someone from the Right says so. And I can imagine that there are people on the Left who would also indulge into this kind of rhetoric.

The Egyptians didn't know their civilizations would collapse one day, neither the Romans nor the Incas. We shouldn't dismiss all harbingers of gloom, but just as important, we need to be vigilant that we don't fall into a reckless mindset.

You are weirdly optimistic and sensible these days. Not that I don't like it. Just it looks like something changed.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

The heath death of the universe is slowly approaching, so yes. Society is in the process of collapsing.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2016, 05:04:33 PM

People keep doing the same shit, hoping it still works, until it stops working.  Pretty simple apes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 22, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
Reposting:

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2016, 05:04:33 PM

Civilizations do collapse, but it's a very rare event. And so, we must be prudent without going berserk over it that it's going to happen in our lifetime...

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Nonsensei on March 22, 2016, 05:07:29 PM
The heath death of the universe is slowly approaching, so yes. Society is in the process of collapsing.

If the heat death ever happens, it will take another 1014 years, so no worry, we'll all be death, planet earth will be vaporized, the sun nothing but a cold frozen death star, and the galaxy after colliding with Andromeda, nothing but a nebulous cloud...