News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Antonin Scalia found dead

Started by TomFoolery, February 13, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/02/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-reported-dead.html/

It's amazing how one man's death can potentially turn the tide of so much. With several cases going before the Supreme Court this year regarding things like abortion, this leaves a vacancy that could really affect the U.S. political climate for a long time.

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

Sad as it is, I won't shed a tear. But I'll keep my criticism of this guy for another time.

AllPurposeAtheist

And the senate will refuse to do their job to confirm anyone Obama nominates..  Time to GOTV Democrats..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 13, 2016, 05:30:35 PM
Sad as it is, I won't shed a tear. But I'll keep my criticism of this guy for another time.
This is bringing out my morbid side.. I'm glad the scum sucking turd is gone.  I have absolutely no regrets about his passing..

TomFoolery

Yeah, as someone else said, when trying to find something nice to say about the guy, Twitter's 140 character limit suddenly seems enormous.

I'm sorry for the Koch brothers' loss, and also curious to see who Obama has in mind for a replacement. The upcoming docket has a lot of really interesting cases. The one nearest and dearest to my heart is the case surrounding Texas' HB2 which shut down almost all the abortion clinics in the state. I think they're also set to hear arguments on cases dealing with campaign finance and affirmative action.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Sad????  Not for me!  He is the poster child for not allowing the Supreme Court to a life time appointment.  This is great news!  I am only sorry that he did not pass 15 years ago!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

YES! YES! YES! YES!

:06: :08: :103: :13: :1rij: :25: :49: :85: :bravo_2: :clap: :d030: :dance: :djparty: :rotflmao: :singing:

AND I REALLY REALLY WISH THERE WAS A HELL SO HE COULD ROT IN IT.

AllPurposeAtheist

To bad that Clarence Thomas wasn't found dead with him in a death embrace..

Solomon Zorn

The senate will refuse to confirm whomever Obama appoints, hoping to win in November. Which makes this presidential election all the more important.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mermaid

Holy fuck. Now what?!

Will Obama be able to appoint who he wants or will there be a stalemate for a year?!! Holy fuck. Holy fuck. Holy fuck.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

I'm sad that he died.  But at the same time, the guy was a goddamn nutcase.  Take a gander.

The real shame is that we had to wait on the Grim Reaper to get him out of that chair.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mermaid on February 13, 2016, 06:44:08 PM
Holy fuck. Now what?!

Will Obama be able to appoint who he wants or will there be a stalemate for a year?!! Holy fuck. Holy fuck. Holy fuck.

From what I've been skimming around the interwebs, it seems like a lot of people think the Senate will hold off appointing anyone for nine months. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/13/3749467/moments-after-scalias-death-is-confirmed-gop-senate-staffer-pledges-to-block-any-obama-replacement/

When you think about it though, Scalia was conservative and the court will still hear cases with an open seat, it's just that in the result of a tie then I believe the circuit court's decision stands.

It still kind of make me nervous, because Ginsburg has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. I swear someone has been reenacting Weekend at Bernie's with her pallid corpse.

josephpalazzo

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 13, 2016, 05:56:09 PM
To bad that Clarence Thomas wasn't found dead with him in a death embrace..
Yes!  This!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 13, 2016, 06:49:01 PM
From what I've been skimming around the interwebs, it seems like a lot of people think the Senate will hold off appointing anyone for nine months. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/13/3749467/moments-after-scalias-death-is-confirmed-gop-senate-staffer-pledges-to-block-any-obama-replacement/

When you think about it though, Scalia was conservative and the court will still hear cases with an open seat, it's just that in the result of a tie then I believe the circuit court's decision stands.

It still kind of make me nervous, because Ginsburg has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. I swear someone has been reenacting Weekend at Bernie's with her pallid corpse.

McConnell has already called for delaying the appointment until after the election.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR