News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Antonin Scalia found dead

Started by TomFoolery, February 13, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 13, 2016, 07:38:32 PM
McConnell has already called for delaying the appointment until after the election.
Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 13, 2016, 05:31:51 PM
And the senate will refuse to do their job to confirm anyone Obama nominates..  Time to GOTV Democrats..

And that is how Obama declares martial law.  That and nuclear war starting shortly in the ME.  If the Congress won't do its job, abolish it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 13, 2016, 05:31:51 PM
And the senate will refuse to do their job to confirm anyone Obama nominates..  Time to GOTV Democrats..

They will hold it up until the general election.  If a Dem wins, they may give Obama a shot at picking one.  If a Republican wins, they will hold it up until after the inauguration.   Well at least, the next one isn't likely to be any worse than Scalia, so the next court will be about the same, unless a Democrat wins the presidency.

Edit:  Didn't read ahead.  I see it's been addressed.

stromboli

Quote from: Mermaid on February 13, 2016, 07:38:32 PM
McConnell has already called for delaying the appointment until after the election.

Well of course he would.

Johan

Holy shit. That is all I can say about this.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: Johan on February 13, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
Holy shit. That is all I can say about this.

Don't worry.  If you spray weed killer on the pod people, they shrivel up and die ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

I remember in 2007 hearing news of Jerry Falwell's death. I was ecstatic! The world was rid of this scum!! I had a similar reaction at the news of Osama bin Laden's death. And now Scalia!

YYYYYAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There are some people who are so evil and do so much harm that the world is a better place without them.

It's a time when I wish there was a reckoning in the afterlife so they could account for their evil and pay for it.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

trdsf

Yaknow, I'm generally a believer in not speaking ill of the dead on the grounds that they can't even in principle defend themselves, but there are exceptions.  Helms was one.  Falwell was another.  And Scalia is also one of these.  This man was a genuine danger to the state, and if you ever read his dissents in Romer, Windsor and Obergefell, he was a complete homophobe, and a fraud as an "originalist".  Good damned riddance.

And to Republicans who don't want a nomination made in an election year: funny how you didn't make that same complaint when Reagan put Kennedy on the court in 1988, and Nixon put both Powell and Rehnquist on the court in 1972, and Eisenhower put Brennan on the court in 1956.  Funny how it didn't matter when a Republican was making the nomination.  Now shut up, Senator McConnell, and do your job.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Oh, one other thing: this makes Justice Kennedy the senior justice on the court.  The role carries quite a bit of responsibility and influence within the court -- in some ways, it makes him a sort of deputy chief justice.  And while he's not perfect, he's a damn sight better than Scalia.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on February 13, 2016, 10:15:08 PM
I remember in 2007 hearing news of Jerry Falwell's death. I was ecstatic! The world was rid of this scum!! I had a similar reaction at the news of Osama bin Laden's death. And now Scalia!

YYYYYAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There are some people who are so evil and do so much harm that the world is a better place without them.
Where were you guys in the Osama bin Laden thread?  I coulda used some backup.  I had a mini spat with Smartmarizapan about this.  She thought it was pretty unseemly to relish some guy getting capped by the US military (plus the Republicans were cheering and naturally, everything they do is wrong).  I argued that the guy indirectly murdered a ton of people and represented an ongoing security threat.  Plus, I'm sorta glad we skipped the madhouse his trial would have been.  The last thing that guy needed was more airtime.

Anyways, Falwell and Scalia die, you guys are on cloud nine.  (I don't completely disagree, though I wonder how you guys would react if the roles were reversed and a liberal politician died and the republicans were equally ecstatic)  Brutal dictator and/or equally murderous terrorist dies, and we're caught between relief and something approaching pity.  I'm sensing a little inconsistency.

Atheon

I can think of six people whose deaths I have been overjoyed about:

Ayatollah Khomeini
Nicolae Ceausescu
Jerry Falwell
Osama bin Laden
Andrew Breitbart
Antonin Scalia

Some people are simply too evil to mourn.

Note that all the above people died while in a position of influence (in Ceausescu's case, a few days after his ouster). I didn't feel the same sense of joy at the deaths of Ronald Reagan, Jesse Helms, or Saddam Hussein, because Reagan was no longer a danger, being out of power and addled with Alzheimer's, Helms was retired and in ill health (physical and mental) in his final years, and Hussein was in prison and executed in a way that simply should not be done in the 21st century: he was hanged, for fucksakes.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

I get the 'this is an obituary I approve' over this man, but this is bad, not good. How long will it take to appoint a new judge? Will it be successful? (For democrats) Highly unlikely. For some time, then if succeeded Court will be divided evenly then, right?

:question: Doesn't this mean that when some serious issue brougt to the Court, it won't be effective and the decisions of the lower courts will stand? Even when someone is appointed they can't go back and discuss that to a new solution, so the lower court decision stands. Right?

From immigration to Global Warming, abortion...etc. Everything is going to the table next term. Courts would come up with conflicting decisions left and right.

Republicans will get very agressive. I don't want to even think about. They have already infected everyone leaning their side with a 'victimhood' for years and this situation is going to be a huge boost of opportunity to radicalise and poison people more for a 'struggle to save America!'. Their mass (pun intended) will respond to this.

:sad2: This doesn't look good to me. Why the bastard couldn't die in a better time? A sudden change in power balance in a time like this never a good thing.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 13, 2016, 06:49:01 PMIt still kind of make me nervous, because Ginsburg has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. I swear someone has been reenacting Weekend at Bernie's with her pallid corpse.
Why the fuck she hasn't retired while Obama could replace her with another liberal, I can't fathom. This next election is going to change things a lot more than superficially. It is so important to keep the republicunts out of the White House this time.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS