Police Brutality Against Motorcyclist

Started by Shiranu, January 23, 2016, 02:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/motorcycle-speeder-wins-180-000-in-case-against-cop-wh-1754583037

QuoteOn Aug. 3, 2012, Justin Wilkens was whipping his Aprilia motorcycle and unwittingly passed Oregon State Police officer Rob Edwards in an unmarked cop Camaro. After a few minutes of chase, Edwards rammed Wilkens off the bike, pulled a gun on him and kicked him in the chest. If you think that sounds egregious, the jury agreed with you.

Dashcam footage from Edwards’ Camaro shows Wilkens’ motorcycle running hard and fast on what the Register-Guard identifies as Crow Road near the town of Venta, Oregon. The bike is obviously speeding and passes at least two cars across double-yellow (no passing-zone) lines.

...Edwards chased him all the way to an intersection, at which point Wilkens appears to begin pulling over. Look at the biker’s body language at about 3:31; you can almost hear him saying “Ah, shit,” inside his helmet as he looks in the bike’s left mirror and realizes that’s a cop behind him.

As you can see from there; the police car hits the bike, knocking Wilkens to the ground. Edwards maintained this was unintentional; a result of “brake fade” from the Camaro’s discs being overworked. His assessment, not mine, which was basically shot down by Wilkens’ attorney.

As the biker stood up, Edwards enters frame with a kick to Wilkens’ chest while drawing down on him with his pistol before cuffing him.

Among Wilkens’ injuries were “a broken clavicle and fractured rib.”

In an interesting plot twist, Edwards stated he did not know the police car’s dashcam was running.

Local news says Edwards has been an Oregon State Trooper for 22 years and held the rank of lieutenant when this incident went down, having since been promoted to captain.

3:30ish is where the incident starts.

This is getting fucking ridiculous. The police in this country think they can... and do... get away with anything they fucking want. He thought he wasn't being recorded so that is somehow an excuse for his actions? What the fuck.

The officer's "defense"...

QuoteSays he thought the biker was trying to elude him.
Did not realize his camera was running.
Had running lights but no siren.
Maintained his actions were “in line with state police policies and training.”
Didn’t mean to ram the bike.
“Acknowledged in his testimony that Wilkens had begun to comply with his commands when he landed the kick, but said he was unable to stop the kick because he ‘already had the muscles fired’ in his right leg.”

He claims "brake fade" is why he rammed the bike... but at about 2 mph that should not be an issue.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

How many LEO-citizen interactions each day? How many of them get reported like this?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Sorry, speeding and passing two cars in a no-passing zone basically endangering me and my family and think the punk should NOT get his ass kicked? Not me. Wish I was on the jury.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on January 23, 2016, 04:39:12 PM
Sorry, speeding and passing two cars in a no-passing zone basically endangering me and my family and think the punk should NOT get his ass kicked? Not me. Wish I was on the jury.

Hi, I have been reading your posts for some time now. From the general reactions you have been giving to certain topics, I gathered that we might be living in the same part of the world.

However, mass shootings are rare where I live, we don't know any school shootings and police brutality mostly breaks out in mass protests. 

Are you living somewhere close to the Middle East too?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm glad you're not on the jury.

Secretly a Warsie.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Aaaannndddd thats why we have to have warning labels on knives.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

After he was pulled over, he was no longer endangering anyone.  What reason is there to kick his ass then?  Sadism, perhaps, but little else.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on January 23, 2016, 02:41:32 PM

This is getting fucking ridiculous. The police in this country think they can... and do... get away with anything they fucking want.
Getting ridiculous? When wasn't it? Its been that way since way before your daddy was born.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 23, 2016, 05:24:36 PM
Getting ridiculous? When wasn't it? Its been that way since way before your daddy was born.

So I'll ask you then, how many interactions between LEOs and civilian on a given day in the US? How many get reported in the media? Which ones?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 23, 2016, 05:29:33 PM
So I'll ask you then, how many interactions between LEOs and civilian on a given day in the US? How many get reported in the media? Which ones?
How many in a day? A metric shit ton I'm guessing. How many get reported in the media? An incredibly small fraction of a percent.

If you feel that my post was suggesting that all cops are bad, or even most cops were bad, well then I guess I should have been more clear.

My words meant exactly what they said. That for nearly as long as we've had any form of police in this country, we've had some portion which abused their position in some way shape or form. Doesn't mean they're all bad. Doesn't mean most are bad. Does mean bad cops are not at all anything new.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 23, 2016, 05:41:16 PM
How many in a day? A metric shit ton I'm guessing. How many get reported in the media? An incredibly small fraction of a percent.

If you feel that my post was suggesting that all cops are bad, or even most cops were bad, well then I guess I should have been more clear.

My words meant exactly what they said. That for nearly as long as we've had any form of police in this country, we've had some portion which abused their position in some way shape or form. Doesn't mean they're all bad. Doesn't mean most are bad. Does mean bad cops are not at all anything new.

"A metric shit ton I'm guessing."  Yeah, you're guessing. Based on media hype.
PZ Myers

Johan

Yeah I was guessing. Didn't think it was all that important to seek out an exact number for the purposes of this discussion. If was mistaken about that or anything else, please feel free to correct me.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 23, 2016, 06:05:41 PM
Yeah I was guessing. Didn't think it was all that important to seek out an exact number for the purposes of this discussion. If was mistaken about that or anything else, please feel free to correct me.
Well, I'd say your off by several orders of magnitude on your SWAG there. But if you're good with that, so be it.

However, do you have the balls to test yourself? Can you take the statements you made about cops and replace "cop" with "black" or "Hispanic" and evaluate the result?
PZ Myers

Johan

It seems pretty clear you have a problem with the statements that have been made. How'za 'bout instead of nitpicking my posts back and forth and making vague statements, you instead save us all a lot of time and just state plainly and clearly exactly what it is you think on this topic?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 23, 2016, 07:09:29 PM
It seems pretty clear you have a problem with the statements that have been made. How'za 'bout instead of nitpicking my posts back and forth and making vague statements, you instead save us all a lot of time and just state plainly and clearly exactly what it is you think on this topic?
You've already had my position, claims of the number of negative LEO/civilian interfaces is wildly exaggerated in comparison with the number of LEOs in the country.

I notice you didn't take my challenge. You don't have to, I don't mean to cause pain.
PZ Myers