News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The united states of depression

Started by Jannabear, January 10, 2016, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

Is anyone else here extremely depressed to live in a country that is practically theocratic in many ways, that's full of morons, homophobes, racists, sexists, pc police, and greedy assholes, a country that has laws like:
" It is not a violation of a duty of care, protection, or support under this division when the parent, guardian, custodian, or person having custody or control of a child treats the physical or mental illness or defect of the child by spiritual means through prayer alone, in accordance with the tenets of a recognized religious body."
If that's not depressing I don't know what is.
But my way of combating my depression is to fight against this bullshit, to fight against america turning into a full blown theocracy, or atleast a partial theocracy, to fight against america staying ignorant and idiotic.
Thoughts?

Jannabear

I realize I posted this in the wrong section, was a mistake, feel free to move it, I apologize.

josephpalazzo

I think you're preaching to the choir. Welcome!

aitm

Quote from: Jannabear on January 10, 2016, 12:00:20 AM
Is anyone else here extremely depressed

Extremely? No. Are we fighting against a bloated government bought for and paid by rich corporations? Yes. Is the vast majority of people more concerned with their everyday battles? Yes. Does this give us a sense of apathetic depression? Yes. Extremely? No. I have beer for that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Having waded through that particular swamp, my decision was to move forward and deal with what I could and not let the rest bog me down. Bog down? Swamp? Get it?

Baruch

Is anyone else here extremely depressed to live in a country that is practically theocratic in many ways, that's full of morons, homophobes, racists, sexists, pc police, and greedy assholes, a country that has laws like:
" It is not a violation of a duty of care, protection, or support under this division when the parent, guardian, custodian, or person having custody or control of a child treats the physical or mental illness or defect of the child by spiritual means through prayer alone, in accordance with the tenets of a recognized religious body."
But my way of combating my depression is to fight against this bullshit, to fight against america turning into a full blown theocracy, or atleast a partial theocracy, to fight against america staying ignorant and idiotic.
Thoughts?

Neo, you are awake.  So which do you prefer, red pill or blue pill?  The proper response to depression is action.  Depression comes from pent up anger with nothing to work against.  So either find a way to release your anger, or stop being angry, or take some physical action (exercise) ... typing at the Internet doesn't count.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

Thoughts?

Religiosity is on the slow decline and has been for a while now. America is in no danger of becoming a theocracy. FFS just last year gay marriage became federal law. Further, the holy firestorm of retribution that the religious predicted would "rise up" and force the goverment to reverse its decision never even came close to happening.

Things are better than they were last decade are better than they were last decade are better than they were last decade. Laws like the one you mentioned are ancient, decrepit politicians from the days of segregation and their ilk trying to shore up their conservative bastions in the face of the wave of progress. A futile gesture.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mermaid

We elected a pretty awesome president, not once but twice. This gives me some idea that there are a lot of good people out there. Everything is on continuum with the "norm" being the peak of the bell curve. It's important to remember that instead of concentrating on the extremes of either side.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jannabear

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 10, 2016, 11:20:08 AM
Religiosity is on the slow decline and has been for a while now. America is in no danger of becoming a theocracy. FFS just last year gay marriage became federal law. Further, the holy firestorm of retribution that the religious predicted would "rise up" and force the goverment to reverse its decision never even came close to happening.

Things are better than they were last decade are better than they were last decade are better than they were last decade. Laws like the one you mentioned are ancient, decrepit politicians from the days of segregation and their ilk trying to shore up their conservative bastions in the face of the wave of progress. A futile gesture.
The law I mentioned isn't even ancient, that's current, unless it was appealed recently.

dtq123

Depressed? No. I am fairly melancholic lately though.

USA is a first world country, can you expect anything else?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

PickelledEggs

I get depressed. Last year was the worst, until I quit my job... which was the main cause of it. Fuck those guys.

The good news with that place is, they pushed another VERY valuable worker to quit and they were really badly taken aback by it. They really don't know what's wrong with the way they treat people. They are now down 2 HARD working people. Haven't found anyone at all to replace us... which is going to be especially hard to do to replace my friend because she was one of the managers.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Jannabear on January 10, 2016, 07:04:24 PM
The law I mentioned isn't even ancient, that's current, unless it was appealed recently.

I didn't mean the law is ancient, I meant the politicians passing it are.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2016, 09:34:29 AM
Neo, you are awake.  So which do you prefer, red pill or blue pill?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNW7f1u2i0
Keep writing about the problems and posting them on the internet. This is how we motivate each other to change the world.

Johan

I feel extremely fortunate to be able to live in place where people are not executed for being atheist.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 10, 2016, 08:38:21 PM
I get depressed. Last year was the worst, until I quit my job... which was the main cause of it. Fuck those guys.

The good news with that place is, they pushed another VERY valuable worker to quit and they were really badly taken aback by it. They really don't know what's wrong with the way they treat people. They are now down 2 HARD working people. Haven't found anyone at all to replace us... which is going to be especially hard to do to replace my friend because she was one of the managers.

Did you find other work?  I am forgetful.  I hope so.  Unfortunately people aren't very good at managing people ... basically people fly by the seat of their prejudices.  People in general are not very self-conscioust.  I am sure that Hitler was confused why people didn't respond more positively to his reasonable demands.  And employers usually are (systemic) dictators.  They should dress up at work as Latin American generals who have never fought in any war but have all these medals and high rank.  I haven't supervised people very often, but I try to be modest and self-conscious.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.