News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The united states of depression

Started by Jannabear, January 10, 2016, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Hitler was more considerate than these people.

So far, no job yet. I have a commission that I'm finishing up and another I'm starting though. So that's at least something. Still need to find something steady though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using your mom.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2016, 12:23:10 AM
Hitler was more considerate than these people.

So far, no job yet. I have a commission that I'm finishing up and another I'm starting though. So that's at least something. Still need to find something steady though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using your mom.

Right, you are the independent craftsman/artist fellow.  That gives you a little control, but it is like a hobby farm isn't it?  Even real family farmers in the US have had to have at least a part time regular job in town to even out and enhance the cash flow.  Hope you can find something to pull in some pin money without being too much of a pain in the ass.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2016, 12:25:53 AM
Right, you are the independent craftsman/artist fellow.  That gives you a little control, but it is like a hobby farm isn't it?  Even real family farmers in the US have had to have at least a part time regular job in town to even out and enhance the cash flow.  Hope you can find something to pull in some pin money without being too much of a pain in the ass.
That's what I'm looking for. Some regular side job. I know quite a few artists that can live solely off of their art, but they also are further in their career than I am. I am building up enough work for a solo show, which will gain me a lot more exposure and also the credibility as an artist that I should have by now.

That being said, even though I'm going broke from not having a job, I am 1000x more happy than when I was at my old job. I have never worked such a horrible job in my life. Never. Never in my life have I needed to hide in the bathroom because I was having a panic attack. The day I decided to quit, I had 2 panic attacks. 1 within the first hour or 2 of working and one before I came back from lunch. That is how horrible the stress is there. It's not worth the small amount of money you're payed for the intense load of work and responsibility you are handed. And while I took pride in being the best at my job (which I was, other than the managers, obviously) I could not handle the abusive upper management. They way he treated us... was inhumane. I won't go in to detail, because I already have on this forum and don't want to take too much of this thread, but it was just horrible. A true nightmare of a job with pure evil, backstabbing, dishonest, upper-management that was always in everyone's business.

PickelledEggs

I'm prone to depression in general, but that job was just a living hell-hole.

SGOS

I try not to dwell on this stuff too much.  You can go any place in the world and find assholes if you are looking for them.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2016, 01:46:56 AM
That's what I'm looking for. Some regular side job. I know quite a few artists that can live solely off of their art, but they also are further in their career than I am. I am building up enough work for a solo show, which will gain me a lot more exposure and also the credibility as an artist that I should have by now.

That being said, even though I'm going broke from not having a job, I am 1000x more happy than when I was at my old job. I have never worked such a horrible job in my life. Never. Never in my life have I needed to hide in the bathroom because I was having a panic attack. The day I decided to quit, I had 2 panic attacks. 1 within the first hour or 2 of working and one before I came back from lunch. That is how horrible the stress is there. It's not worth the small amount of money you're payed for the intense load of work and responsibility you are handed. And while I took pride in being the best at my job (which I was, other than the managers, obviously) I could not handle the abusive upper management. They way he treated us... was inhumane. I won't go in to detail, because I already have on this forum and don't want to take too much of this thread, but it was just horrible. A true nightmare of a job with pure evil, backstabbing, dishonest, upper-management that was always in everyone's business.

I have had panic attacks also ... but it is a physiological reaction more than psychological.  A charlie-horse of the emotions.  I have had them.  They are all palpable like a heart attack, not just some song you can't get out of your head.  Improved general health may improve your resilience.  I still have small panic attacks at work ... not grand mal attacks ... not for 26 years.  My depression is primarily situational ... I can't deal with confrontation at work.  Extreme responsibility was also involved, and abusive supervision/customers.  Fortunately my level of responsibility has decreased, and I handle it better after 19 years of practice.  I don't deal well with confrontation, when I am physically cornered (not physically threatened usually) ... because of where my desk sits.  I have had the same difficult supervisor for 14 years, but he is curmudgeonly to everyone, and doesn't pick on me every day, and mostly engages is mild verbal put downs.  In short, a good technical, but an asshole too.  I am glad you got out while the getting is good.  I say to myself in dialog with someone in my head ... "I have been fired by better men than you" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.