News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An experiment

Started by trdsf, December 11, 2015, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Okay, let's state the following as givens from the start:

1) You only have my word that I have not seen my new doctor before, or that I have not seen a picture of her before.
2) You have your own judgment of my trustworthiness.

I don't often remember my dreams, but I dreamed last night about meeting my new doctor, who I am just about to leave to see for the first time.

I want to write down what I saw in the dream to see if it tallies at all with what she actually looks like, before I go.

Shorter than me (5'4" to 5'6"), solidly built, dark hair a little like Roseanne Rosannadanna (that'll bring out the old folks), slightly larger nose than Gilda's, though.

I'll report back after the appointment with how completely wrong (or unexpectedly right) I am.  After all, predicting the future is no good if you only report it after you've found out if you're right or not.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Throw in the likelihood of either mixed race or a specific culture-I'll go with Hindu- I think you are close. The likelihood is probably higher than you think. You have described a few health care workers I've encountered.

trdsf

Abject failure.  Dark hair worn smoothly, Mediterranean 'olive' complexion (with perhaps some Iberian Peninsula), she was shorter than I, and a solidly built, but my first glance was enough: *not* the person I saw in my dream.

No, the only weird part is now I have to get used to having a doctor that's younger than me.  (o.O)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

You lacked enough faith. If you had enough faith she would be the one you seek'd :P

stromboli

Sylar

Chances are, you've probably seen the person you described in the OP, or caught a glimpse of her.. even if by your peripherals.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

stromboli

Is this by chance a glimpse into some fantasy world that would likely scare the bejeesus out of Cthulhu himself?

trdsf

Quote from: stromboli on December 11, 2015, 06:37:34 PM
Is this by chance a glimpse into some fantasy world that would likely scare the bejeesus out of Cthulhu himself?
That's the back corner of my brain where the stuff I don't write resides.

Unbeliever

Would've been an interesting coincidence had the doctor turned out to be recognizably similar to your dream doc. How hard would it be to convince you that it really was a coincidence, in that eventuality?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

stromboli

Quote from: trdsf on December 11, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
That's the back corner of my brain where the stuff I don't write resides.

I just don't know you anymore.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 11, 2015, 07:38:41 PM
Would've been an interesting coincidence had the doctor turned out to be recognizably similar to your dream doc. How hard would it be to convince you that it really was a coincidence, in that eventuality?
I don't know.  And the fundamental problem would still be, I would lack evidence that I could present beyond my word -- and while I'm a big fan of myself, even I have to say that my word is simply not evidentiary.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on December 11, 2015, 01:17:32 PM

No, the only weird part is now I have to get used to having a doctor that's younger than me.  (o.O)

Yeah, well get used to it.  All my doctors have been younger than me for the last 30 years, but at least none of them sports a green Mohawk.

Johan

Ok not for nothing but I feel the need to speak up.

I get what you're saying when you say totally not the person you saw in your dream. I take you at your word and I accept that.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your first post involving your dream and your second post involving reality both clearly stated that you saw a dark haired woman who was solidly built and shorter than you.

Yep. I totally get the part where you clearly stated that each were totally different women. But the fact remains that of all the nearly infinite amount of words you could've chosen to describe either, you somehow managed to choose a very high percentage of the same words to describe both. So even though I'm generally the skeptic asshole in the crowd, I still have to ask (suggest)... coincidence????
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

The common factor, in both circumstances, was trdsf.  The same brain choosing the same words isn't even coincidence ... it is expected.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman