News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello everyone. Nerdy, animal-loving viking here :D

Started by LadyDay, October 20, 2015, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyDay

Hi everybody.
I heard about this forum on the Thinking Atheist Forum and thought I'd come check it out :-)
I started the journey out of religion 10-12 years ago. I was brought up in a closed lutheran community, but as I entered my late teens, some things started to rub me the wrong way. One thing in particular was that I found it harder and harder to accept that homosexuality was wrong, without any sound reason. I could not make myself accept that I should deny people the right to love who they wanted, without any good reason why! Of course my own bisexuality did not make this easier.
It took years and years, but slowly the pretence crumbled and I became more and more disillusioned with religion. Eventually, I overcame the last of the fear and now it's been around 7 years since I first called myself an atheist. The freedom to think for myself, form my own opinions and allow myself to embrace reality is still exhilarating to me and fortunately, while my family is still deeply religious, they are taking my atheism well without trying to reconvert me, and I am surrounded my amazing friends and a boyfriend who are also nicely religion free.  Still, what I do miss in my life is knowing people who, like me, have been religious in the past and have left religion. My friends are great and do their best to understand, still, they can't understand how I could ever believe in the silly things I believed in and they don't know what it's like to extract oneself from fundamentalistic religion. How much fear is involved. I appreciate the opportunity the internet gives to meet other people who have been through the drill.
I'm looking forward to meeting you all :-)
By the way, english is not my first language, so I apologize for the grammatic-/spelling-mistakes I'm bound to make!

AllPurposeAtheist

SPEAK merikan dammit!

Welcome to the forum. You seem to have the English thing down pretty good.  Heck, I don't even have it down and I was raised in Ohio .. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Welcome to the forum, LadyDay--and your English is great!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

jonb

I'm from England, and my posts are terrible due to my dyslexia, so It looks as though you are going to have to overlook our 'errras' rather than the other way around. So what is your native tongue?

LadyDay

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement guys. I'll practise my "merikan"  to the best of my ability, but it's good to know I won't be chased off the forum in shame for making mistakes. Haha
jon: England is one of my very favourite countries! Where in England are you from? That makes us neighbours too! I'm from Denmark, so my native tongue is danish.

jonb

I'm your cockney bloke.

From the smoke of London where we're 'aving a right old knees up.

Is it true that in Denmark it is commonly thought the English have no sense of humour?
Anyway one of our favourite comediennes comes from Denmark.
Sandi Toksvig
https://youtu.be/Sii8p8-qc_c

I love Danish,  life without your bacon would be unimaginable. And my wife would like to know what is the fashionable knitwear being worn in this seasons Danish crime dramas?

LadyDay

Haha. I think maybe in the past the english were rumoured to have no sense of humour. But by now Britain has produced so much incredible comedy (Faulty Towers and Ricky Gervais jumps to mind) the english humour is revered as possibly the best on the planet and the Germans have inherited the reputation of having no sense of humour (I happen to be madly in love with a german, so I can tease them). :D
The knitwear is not a particular brand or anything. It's traditional scandinavian. The pattern, or variations thereof, is widely used all over Scandinavia. So I guess we're just a fashionable people! Haha (I'm currently dressed like a hobo pretty much)
Oh, and Denmark loves you too! English bacon-consumption makes up half our economy! ;)

aitm

welcome to the forum. Your english will be fine. APA is from Ohio, they don't have high expectations there…heheheheh
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on October 20, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
Vikings are hawt.

This one is hotter.

Hell, this one is too. I'm not even into girls, but this one almost makes me want to be.

And welcome, LadyDay. Your English is quite excellent. I understand what you mean about the fear involved in leaving a religion, especially when a lot of people you love are still stuck in it.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Draconic Aiur

A Dane! Alfred would be most displeased. lol Welcome!

LadyDay

Thankyou so much for the warm welcome everyone. You're all so nice! I think I shall like it here!

Quote from: stromboli on October 20, 2015, 05:19:33 PM

Like this? Welcome.
stromboli, where did you find that picture of me?  :rotflmao:

Yes, we scandinavians all look exactly like those vikings.... Totally!  :72:
Well. Maybe not quite. And we don't rutinely pillage the english much anymore. Guess we're slacking off a bit. But the danish youth still hold the world record in alcohol consumption. So there's that. We're damn proud of that! 

Who's Alfred and how have danes displeased him?  :03: Whatever we did we promise we didn't mean to. We were drunk, and the english were acting up, so it just happened. We swear!