News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Reason and Logic Rule

Started by thebesttrees, September 01, 2015, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Do you think the guy that first posed the question, "What is the sound of one hand clapping," was actually being serious?  I mean really!  People have sat around pondering this like it's supposed to lead to some greater truth when it's just a simple nonsense question.

thebesttrees

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 02, 2015, 12:59:42 PM
Hmmm...................well, uhh....this is one of the most different non-answers I've ever received.  So, with that in mind...................

I do not believe in any god/gods (except those dedicated to ice cream and the New York Yankees).  So, if you believe in a god, I don't.  Or even if you don't believe in a god, I don't either.  You seem to believe Jesus was a person since you quoted something written by an unknown author saying he heard him say what you quoted him saying.  I think Jesus was a myth and not a man.  So, I don't put much store in quotes from cartoon characters--not Pecos Bill, not Paul Bunyan, Not Yosemite Sam--not Jesus.  So, it boils down to not much common ground here.  And your beliefs are sketchy, at best.  Common ground--I like ice cream and the New York Yankees--do you?

As for the surgeon not answering his wife's call--I guess we could agree on that.  But the surgeon must be held accountable for the lack of gas, for his wife was to be the assistant surgeon on that patient dying of cardiac arrest; actually, he should be arrested for allowing the arrest to occur in the first place, since the team was one surgeon short!

Common ground is a good place to be, but very hard to get to when not all parties are forthcoming with any info to allow for the search of that common ground.  So far, all I hear is the very loud clapping of one hand!

My response, especially the third part (surgeon and all), is commensurate with your questions and it was articulated carefully. You need to look at the response in the context of your questions.

thebesttrees

Quote from: Baruch on September 02, 2015, 12:53:48 PM
Thebesttrees ... take your time to think and articulate.

Meanwhile, no ... a physician or nurse should not multitask.  This is a known evil in medical situations, even though interns are often worked to death ... to find their breaking point I suppose.  I certainly hope there were no distractions for those responding to the Code Blue at the clinic this morning, where I work.

My story of the surgeon is to be viewed in the context of the questions raised by Mike CL.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: SGOS on September 02, 2015, 09:02:30 PM
Do you think the guy that first posed the question, "What is the sound of one hand clapping," was actually being serious?  I mean really!  People have sat around pondering this like it's supposed to lead to some greater truth when it's just a simple nonsense question.
I think I've heard it before as a rhetorical question, which would be of great utility for those whose stock in trade rely on rhetoric over fact (e.g. motivational speech, group action rallies). It's a great tool for motivating the unified "body of Christ" to action in protest against gays and abortion doctors, often leading to criminal harassment and murder.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Hydra009

Quote from: thebesttrees on September 01, 2015, 09:31:49 AMI had to put my faith in someone that I did not even know and here he was with my son's life in his hands!
Unless you live out in the sticks in an almost entirely self-sufficient lifestyle, relying on others is pretty much a day-to-day norm:

* riding as a passenger on a train, bus, plane (or even someone else's car)
* taking any sort of medication
* eating anything prepared by someone else (not poisoned, undercooked, spoiled, etc)
* living in a building (building is up to code and won't collapse)

Mike Cl

Quote from: thebesttrees on September 03, 2015, 02:11:25 AM
My response, especially the third part (surgeon and all), is commensurate with your questions and it was articulated carefully. You need to look at the response in the context of your questions.
I am sure your answer is commensurate with something.  But it sure is not to establish any type of communication.  Your goal, it would seem, is to play some type of word game rather than trying to find 'common ground'.  I do enjoy word games, like scrabble or code words, but in a different forum than this one.  So, play your clever words games, get you little chuckles; if and when you would like to engage in a conversation let me know and I'll chime in. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

For those who are curious, this is what a theorem in Hilbert Space theory looks like ...

⊢ ((A ∈ â,,, ∧ B ∈ â,,‹ ∧ C ∈ â,,‹ ) â†' (B ·ih (A ·h C)) = ((∗ ‘A) · (B ·ih C)))

Doesn't look like anything I see here ... does it?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: thebesttrees on September 01, 2015, 10:50:18 AM
I agree with everything you have said. How is that for exploding your head?! And check out Euler's Identity. It is not a trick or magic. it is real mathematics but alas it does not make sense.

Euler's identity is just several definitions put together:
(1) i 2 =-1,
(2)  e ix = cos x + i sinx.

Put it togerther with x = π, you get Euler's identity,

e iπ +1 = 0 [/font]

Baruch

Per Wikipedia ... "How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" is answered with "minus e to the power of iPi".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.