Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 05, 2022, 10:03:37 AM
Don't Look Up

Satire with an all star cast about a couple of scientists that discover a comet that is going to wipe out Earth only to find out no one cares.

Not the best movie I've seen but worth a watch as it was inspired by current events.

I thought it was pretty good, and completely designed to be understood by anyone possible.

[spoiler][spoiler]It's a metaphor for [spoiler]global warming.[/spoiler] Isn't it good?[/spoiler] The last thing character Mindy said affected me honestly.[/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 28, 2021, 01:02:06 PMDetective Pikachu, on the other hand, used live action to its advantage, mixing with CGI based on the artwork of a well-known artist who makes Pokemon look more realistic. The Pokemon in the movie don't look out of place, unlike Sonic. They created a world that is much more believable and interesting. I also think the acting and humor was better in Detective Pikachu, but that might just be me. The Mr. Mime scene in particular was hilarious.
I don't know if I can agree with you on any of that.  Suffice it to say that realism is NOT what I want from Pokemon.  I think the green screen is more obvious in Detective Pikachu than Sonic, though it's a close call.  And I was actually really annoyed by the drawn-out Mime scene.  And to top it off, I think it was pretty bizarre watching Ryan Reynolds voice Pikachu.  I like Ryan Reynolds and his sense of humor, but that's one biiizzzare combo - I dunno if his flippant/snarky demeanor is the right fit for Pokemon in general and Pikachu in particular.

In summary, I could have gone for a more cartoonish style with less, you know...death...and maybe more exploration/befriending/rivalry like in the games.

Jason Harvestdancer

Rather enjoyed Encanto.  Especially liked that the big strong one was a woman and the protagonist wore glasses.  Still, after this and Coco I begin to wonder if Pixar has a problem with Abuelas.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

the_antithesis

From Hell It Came

No one else will even give this movie a second thought, but I saw it on my parent's black and white TV when I was five years old and I was terrified by the "Tabanga." Christ knows why. As rubber monsters from 50's B-movies go, this one is less convincing. Mostly because it doesn't have any articulation.

But, I recently picked up a B&W CRT TV (They still make them ?!?!?) and watched it again and I crapped my pant, although that had nothing to do with the movie.

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 15, 2022, 06:05:12 PM
From Hell It Came
No one else will even give this movie a second thought, but I saw it on my parent's black and white TV when I was five years old
I enjoy rewatching those oldies that scared the bejabbers out of me when I was 10 too.  I end up buying them, because they don't seem to be available any other way, but they are usually cheap, but what carries them mostly is the nostalgia.  I seldom watch them more than once.  The last one I watched was Lost Continent with Cesar Romero.  I bought a copy, but I think it's on Utube.

drunkenshoe

Is it this one? It makes sense. It looks terrifying for a kid.

Remember giants bees and ants? I haven't slept for days and was scared for months probably. I was in primary school. Oh gawd. And I loved insects.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Big Bug Movies were a hit in the '50s. "THEM!" is the most rational of the lot, with "The Giant Claw" trailing way behind.

Enter "50 movies dvd collection" in Amazon's search window and you're on your way to wasting a huge amount of time. We watched "Teenagers from Outer Space" last night.

BTW, there will be some overlap in the boxed set. Getting fifty movies for $17.99 makes that painless.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Watched something the other night. Had Mel Gibson in it and some other people. Mel had this quite ridiculous English accent and I think it may have been the latest movie he has done…judging by this, I hope so. No, I don’t even remember the name of it….so…..there ya go…
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 16, 2022, 07:16:50 AM
... We watched "Teenagers from Outer Space" last night. ...

That's sounds like a scary movie.

Mike Cl

John Wick.  Caught most of it channel surfing.  Not sure why I like it, but I do.  Not quite believable--nobody could take the punishment he gets and keep on moving; or nobody can dish out that much mayhem in so short of a timespan.  But I don't quite see this movie trying to be realistic, but yet I keep watching and keep being amused. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 16, 2022, 11:59:49 AM
John Wick.  Caught most of it channel surfing.  Not sure why I like it, but I do.  Not quite believable--nobody could take the punishment he gets and keep on moving; or nobody can dish out that much mayhem in so short of a timespan.  But I don't quite see this movie trying to be realistic, but yet I keep watching and keep being amused.

Clever movie though. After the pup's untimely demise, everything was legit, so they used it well, and took it from there with another 2 movies. :lol:

the_antithesis

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 16, 2022, 02:23:01 AM
Is it this one? It makes sense. It looks terrifying for a kid.

GGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!1!!

Seriously, it's moving about as much as it does in the movie in this photo.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 16, 2022, 11:24:22 AM
That's sounds like a scary movie.

If you think Earth being seeded with food critters that look very much like lobsters yeah, it's kinda scary. But the subtle suggestion that the actors were making up their lines as they go along that worse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 16, 2022, 07:16:50 AM
Enter "50 movies dvd collection" in Amazon's search window and you're on your way to wasting a huge amount of time. We watched "Teenagers from Outer Space" last night.
Oh, Mill Creek. I have, like,... nine of those boxes.