News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

There is some sort of a lantern involved so it must be Lantern, right?  :shifty:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

The title of the comic, "GREEN LANTERN" may have clues buried inside. We need a de-obfuscater to be sure.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Into the spiderverse.

I had high expectations.

They weren´t met.

They were exceeded.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

Moon fall. Worn out storyline...kinda interesting...a kinda dont look up thing..panic....s'okay but not worth planning a movie night out of it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Also, watched kingsman last night...not saying boring, but I went to a bar halfway through cause I needed some type of excitment....so...there's that. Another rainy or snowy or end of life kinda movie
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on February 10, 2022, 05:29:46 PM
Moon fall. Worn out storyline...kinda interesting...a kinda dont look up thing..panic....s'okay but not worth planning a movie night out of it.
Trudges back to the TV pit.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 04, 2022, 06:16:53 PM
Into the spiderverse.
A very well done animation that captures the Marvel feeling, even with an animated Stan Lee appearing in a brief cameo.  Some sequences are so filled and fast, that I'll probably have to watch it again to pick up bits and pieces I missed the first time.  I like the way they make fun of their own Spiderman cliches'.

SGOS

The Last Survivors
A father shields his son from the chaos of WWIII's aftermath in the mountains, and they kill any intruders into their compound.  But it turns out there was no WWIII, and civilization is still intact and functioning as it normally does.  In fact, a functioning town actually exists within a few miles of the compound where they have been hiding out for the past 25 years. The son in a rebellious episode of wanderlust discovers civilization.  But the real surprise in the movie is how stupid the premise is.

Gawdzilla Sama

Tried watching "Eternals" last night. Probably 60+ years too old for it.
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

We saw Kenneth Branagh's Death on the Nile in IMAX today and it was very good, better than his interpretation of Murder on the Orient Express. I'm an Agatha Christie fan and this stayed true to the mystery while adding some twists. The entire cast did a very good job with their characters and the cinematography and music were well done.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 16, 2022, 11:01:38 PM
We saw Kenneth Branagh's Death on the Nile in IMAX
Drifting a bit, but does Greensboro have an actual giant screen IMAX, or is this just a multiplex theater with one screen bigger than the others?  I very much enjoyed the original IMAX, and for special movies I would drive 80 miles to see them with it.  I have to drive 50 anyway, but what they call IMAX here is just a slightly bigger screen, and while, it's a little better, it's not really what I call IMAX, and I don't find the upgrade worth it.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on February 17, 2022, 07:19:24 AM
Drifting a bit, but does Greensboro have an actual giant screen IMAX, or is this just a multiplex theater with one screen bigger than the others?  I very much enjoyed the original IMAX, and for special movies I would drive 80 miles to see them with it.  I have to drive 50 anyway, but what they call IMAX here is just a slightly bigger screen, and while, it's a little better, it's not really what I call IMAX, and I don't find the upgrade worth it.

It is an IMAX theater, not an IMAX dome and it is not actually in Greensboro but High Point. I'm willing to pay for the larger screen and better audio for select films.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 17, 2022, 07:19:24 AM
Drifting a bit, but does Greensboro have an actual giant screen IMAX, or is this just a multiplex theater with one screen bigger than the others?
You're thinking OMNIMAX, not IMAX.
PZ Myers

SGOS

I had never actually heard of IMAX Dome.  I had to look that up.  While it sounds interesting, I may be thinking of OMNIMAX, which was IMAX until a few years ago.  Original IMAX from 1967 came in various sizes, but nothing less that say 5 stories high, with a very small aspect ratio.  It was an intense experience, enough to make some people sick, although that was rare.

As soon as you walk into an IMAX theater, the difference in this format is immediately obvious -- the screen is gigantic! There are two different types:

IMAX theaters - A standard IMAX theater has a huge rectangular screen. A typical IMAX screen is 16 meters high by 22 meters wide (approximately 52 by 72 feet), but they can be much larger. The largest IMAX screen is 30 meters (98 feet) high. Imagine standing next to an eight-story apartment building that is wider than it is tall. That's how big the screen is! It is many times larger than the screen at a normal movie theater.

IMAX domes - An IMAX dome provides a hemispherical screen that wraps the entire theater. Domes can be up to 30 meters in diameter.

In an IMAX projector, the film is so heavy and large that a projector cannot use a claw to move it, and it is hard to hold such a big film frame perfectly flat with respect to the lens. Therefore, an IMAX projector is completely different from a normal projector:

The film moves through it [projector] horizontally rather than vertically.

A vacuum system sucks each image onto a piece of glass in front of the lens so that the image is oriented perfectly in front of the lens.

The shutter opens for a longer period of time than on a normal projector in order to let more light through. The bulb for the projector is a 15,000-watt, water-cooled xenon unit.

All of this advanced technology means that an IMAX projector weighs over 2 tons (1,800 kilograms) -- the equivalent of a small car! That's what it takes to get such a bright, clear image onto such a tremendous screen.

What they commonly call IMAX today is digital IMAX, but it's really just a marketing ploy.  There are improvements over standard digital, but it is not as dramatic as actual IMAX.  I've never heard of OMNIMAX until today.  I assume it's the original concept.