News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 25, 2019, 09:22:39 AM
I wonder how far away we're from AI generating a complete novel movie with only a few training data.
We already have whales that do that.  They push colored balls into various holes in their aquarium, executives interpret the result (if they can't make sense of it, they just remake something), and that's how we get this year's top movies.

Here comes one now.

Brad Pitt
Astronaut
Search for
Father
Earth
Threatened

Munch

jennifer love hewitt
gravy
boat
detective
paris
scientology
bread with a piece of mold on it
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 24, 2019, 09:46:09 PM
marvel already screwed the pooch on that when they kept celestial beings out of the movieverse continuity. Thanos without his worship of mistress death leaves a void, it what made the whole thanos vs deadpool thing work.

Eh. Personally, I like the MCU interpretation of Thanos. Comic book Thanos seems goofy by comparison. I don't think the character would have left as much of an impact, knowing he was trying to get some action with Lady Death.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 25, 2019, 09:22:39 AM
I wonder how far away we're from AI generating a complete novel movie with only a few training data.

Can be done now.  if you accept low quality.  A blow up doll is OK as a girl friend, if you can't get the real thing.  I suspect on financial reasons, everything will be CGI and AI (with visual and audio skins (digitized real actors who have given up their brand)).  Like how Hollywood went to reality shows after the screen writer's strike.  You don't have to pay, or give residuals to digital people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 25, 2019, 02:07:22 PM
Eh. Personally, I like the MCU interpretation of Thanos. Comic book Thanos seems goofy by comparison. I don't think the character would have left as much of an impact, knowing he was trying to get some action with Lady Death.

thats just on the comic book writers. It could easily be written in a more serious tone of thanos doing all he did to appease death herself, first as a demonstration of his devotion, then outright just forsaking all life. The movieverse version was okay, but just didn't feel like thanos having this ra's al ghul style of character.

Mr.Obvious

The IT reboot, part 1.
Not sure if it is actually less scary than the miniseries, or if that is because I watched that as a child.
I remember it being more unsettling and less,... Cartoonish.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 25, 2019, 05:38:30 PM
The IT reboot, part 1.
Not sure if it is actually less scary than the miniseries, or if that is because I watched that as a child.
I remember it being more unsettling and less,... Cartoonish.

Things are scarier as kids. I saw the original as a kid and was scared, but rewatching it now it's pretty goofy, especially the second part.

Gawdzilla Sama

The first version just annoyed me. But then I didn't finish the book.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 25, 2019, 06:37:50 PM
The first version just annoyed me. But then I didn't finish the book.
to be fair thats a big ass book.

I still like aspects of the original, the idea of children being tormented by a creature only they can see, the parents being oblivious to it, it creates a level of fear someone at those ages could relate to. I think thats why the first part always struck me as being better, its like the kid actors in it put everything into those roles, where as the adult actors in the second part were just playing it like a sitcom

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 25, 2019, 07:14:10 PM
to be fair thats a big ass book.

I still like aspects of the original, the idea of children being tormented by a creature only they can see, the parents being oblivious to it, it creates a level of fear someone at those ages could relate to. I think thats why the first part always struck me as being better, its like the kid actors in it put everything into those roles, where as the adult actors in the second part were just playing it like a sitcom
I quit at the lumberjack scene. Just didn't scare me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 25, 2019, 02:07:22 PM
Imo, comic book Thanos had a lot more depth to him than meets the eye.

His name (and a great deal of his characterization) is based on Freud's conception of Eros (life instinct) and Thanatos (death instinct) [note: Freud did not give a name to second one, that was done by a colleague]

Ever experience the call of the void?  That's Thanatos.

Eros/Starfox is a very loving, cooperative, peaceable guy.  Thanos is his polar opposite.  Instead of loving, he is nihilistic.  Instead of cooperative, he is conflict-loving.  Instead of life-affirming, he is death-seeking.  What better way to show this than to make him literally in love with Death?

Famously, and I wish the comics had stuck firmly to this (before he sired more kids than Ghengis Khan), Thanos flatly stated: "Thanos does not create".  That's a hell of a motto.  And it's true, as a purely destructive force, Thanos can only destroy what already exists - he can never truly create anything.

Hydra009

On second thought, maybe comics Thanos was a little goofy...

Anyway, here's why MCU Thanos is noticeably different from comics Thanos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNQoqsh8ko

Basically, to be a better foil for Tony Stark.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAC8JOeiNw

the summery is, some sjws are trying to push to make spiderman gay now, and have even attacked a guy calling them out of their bullshit claiming he's a homophobe, despite him being bi-sexual.

A very good point this guy made on his twitter,

Quote"being gay isn't an element you just "introduce." It's not hair color or contacts or a fashion change. It's who the person is attracted to, and the accepted position is that a person is born that way, not that they choose it."

Stan Lee himself said before he died that spiderman is not gay, because him being straight is an integral part of his character, his relationship with characters like Mary Jane or Felicia Hardy or other women in his life.

Now speaking as someone who had always liked fan works and fan art of established characters, lets say wolverine, who is a very macho heterosexual character (he's had sex with countless women), and those fan works making him gay, because its naughty and fun, and deviates from the norm. I don't suddenly think wolverine is totally gay now because someone wrote a fan work about him and cyclops going down on each other. I like the character in the comics and cartoon and movies enough to respect the creators decision over decades of work in who that character is to not see it deviated from in the cannon story.

This is what pissed me off about how in current marvel, they decided it was okay to make Iceman, one of the original x-men, suddenly gay, using some weird timeline alteration story of icemans past self just suddenly opening up about being gay, and this made older iceman realise 'oh wait I am gay!' as if someone flicked the gay switch on the back of his head.

This is just insulting to me, because instead of creating characters whos sexuality is a part of who they are since the beginning, like spiderman, or lets say tracer from overwatch who was established gay since near the beginning of her introduction, instead these cheap cunts are just forcing their identity politics onto characters because its easier then making their own up and just upending the characters longevity.

Baruch

Munch, don't go to the Great Friend of Europe ... Iran.  They force gay men to have sex changes there.  That is how they do identity politics.  They don't change comic characters, they change actual people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on July 26, 2019, 10:30:50 PM
Munch, don't go to the Great Friend of Europe ... Iran.  They force gay men to have sex changes there.  That is how they do identity politics.  They don't change comic characters, they change actual people.

Maybe that's why certain folks in the west with their identity politics think they can include others from those regions in the same inclusive boat along with the LGBT community.

Anyway getting back to more movie based subjects.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbOiqDRl2I