News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

That awkward moment when what was generally panned as an extremely vapid and over-the-top action movie was actually a pretty deep and artistic meta-play about lobotomy and how society is completely fine with depictions outrageous violence and abuse of women but, the moment you bring sexuality into it, they flip their shit and it's no longer acceptable and must be censored.

Or maybe CinemaWins is just really, really good at extracting meaning where there is none, but I'm not sold on that. The attention to detail in this movie would suggest there was suppose to be detail behind it.

Never watched it because of it's horrible reviews... but honestly, the action looks entertaining and it has sorta that "B film" appeal to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKsTY8vuC0
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on July 28, 2019, 05:28:26 PM
That awkward moment when what was generally panned as an extremely vapid and over-the-top action movie was actually a pretty deep and artistic meta-play about lobotomy and how society is completely fine with depictions outrageous violence and abuse of women but, the moment you bring sexuality into it, they flip their shit and it's no longer acceptable and must be censored.

Or maybe CinemaWins is just really, really good at extracting meaning where there is none, but I'm not sold on that. The attention to detail in this movie would suggest there was suppose to be detail behind it.

Never watched it because of it's horrible reviews... but honestly, the action looks entertaining and it has sorta that "B film" appeal to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKsTY8vuC0

It sucks.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

I figured all that by my onsies. But I do like "Everything Great About..." He has some good insight. And he doesn't whinge.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 28, 2019, 06:49:09 PM
It sucks.

Eh, wouldn't be the first movie that sucks that I enjoyed. *Shrug*

I'm incredibly easy to please when it comes to movies though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 28, 2019, 09:31:48 PM

So you felt ... Blair Witch Project ... cost too much to make? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on July 28, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
So you felt ... Blair Witch Project ... cost too much to make? ;-)
Imo, that was a perfect budget for what they were trying to pull off:  three people lost in the woods, freaky stuff happens, at least one person dies.  You don't need a big budget for that.  Just literally have the actors camp in the woods and give 'em some filming equipment.  What better way to film sleep deprivation and frustration than to show it in natura?   If they tried to glitz it up with hairstylists and CGI, it probably would have come across as inauthentic and the movie would've tanked hard.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on July 28, 2019, 09:31:48 PM

Then by all means watch it.
At your own peril ;)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 28, 2019, 11:18:48 PM
Imo, that was a perfect budget for what they were trying to pull off:  three people lost in the woods, freaky stuff happens, at least one person dies.  You don't need a big budget for that.  Just literally have the actors camp in the woods and give 'em some filming equipment.  What better way to film sleep deprivation and frustration than to show it in natura?   If they tried to glitz it up with hairstylists and CGI, it probably would have come across as inauthentic and the movie would've tanked hard.

Giant Japanese robots cost extra!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2019, 09:44:20 PM
Out of these, I'm most pumped for Black Widow, Mister Doctor, and What If.  What If sounds particularly promising.

For those of you who don't know, Marvel's What If comics took pivotal moments in comics history and took them in a completely different direction.  And it gave writers a license to just go completely nuts with a story, knowing full well that none of it would be canon.  They also highlight the stakes by showing in excruciating detail exactly what happens when the heroes lose.  It's not pretty.
Okay, this is the first MCU entry I might actually entertain the notion of going to see.  Depends on which particular What If(s) they go for -- and whether they do an anthology-style feature (which I think is more sensible) or just focus on one story.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

"Alita: Battle Angel". Went to be before it ended. Very predictable "River Tam effect" movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on July 29, 2019, 06:51:47 AM
Okay, this is the first MCU entry I might actually entertain the notion of going to see.  Depends on which particular What If(s) they go for -- and whether they do an anthology-style feature (which I think is more sensible) or just focus on one story.
My guess is anthology.  A seies of vignettes rather than a whole movie dedicated to one alternate scenario.

Though, I have to ask, wont it be confusing to watch the what-if scenario without watching original scenario?  Whenever I do that in the comics, I find it difficult to piece together what happened and what's different this time around.  Sometimes, it's pretty straight forward.  Sometimes, I don't know half the characters or what they're trying to do so when someone buys the farm, I don't really know how to feel about it.

The movies are pretty famous, so not a whole lot of risk there, but there could be a lot of easter eggs that more casual fans might miss out on.

Gawdzilla Sama

There are a lot of "X things you missed in (the latest MCU offering" videos on Youtube right now.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 29, 2019, 04:04:45 PM
My guess is anthology.  A seies of vignettes rather than a whole movie dedicated to one alternate scenario.

Though, I have to ask, wont it be confusing to watch the what-if scenario without watching original scenario?  Whenever I do that in the comics, I find it difficult to piece together what happened and what's different this time around.  Sometimes, it's pretty straight forward.  Sometimes, I don't know half the characters or what they're trying to do so when someone buys the farm, I don't really know how to feel about it.

The movies are pretty famous, so not a whole lot of risk there, but there could be a lot of easter eggs that more casual fans might miss out on.
Yeah, that could be the only downside, if they do stories that are movie-canon rather than canon-canon.  I'll wait and see.

I could be talked into 'Master of Kung Fu', but only if Doug Moench was on the writing team, and I don't think he is.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

For Tarantino fans, Once Upon a Time... is an excellent film.  I'd rate it his number 2, just under Inglorious.  He's the Woody Allen of crime and violence.  Sometimes his movies are wonderfully creative, and sometimes they are complete flops.  And I can never predict what he's going to do next.  Avoid the reviews and see it unspoiled.  Let it unfold.  Knowing too much about it will spoil it.

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 29, 2019, 09:10:09 AM
"Alita: Battle Angel". Went to be before it ended. Very predictable "River Tam effect" movie.

agree, not very good. Left it open for a sequel......oh joy of joys.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust