News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 29, 2019, 09:10:09 AM
"Alita: Battle Angel". Went to be before it ended. Very predictable "River Tam effect" movie.
I liked it, but not the ending.  A bad ending does little to create interest in a sequel, when a good ending could create even more interest.  MCU got away with it in the Infinity Wars, but that was made for a very dedicated audience that took years to cultivate.

Gawdzilla Sama

Today I receive "Quatermass and the Pit." Been more than fifty years but I still remember that one. Double feature at the drive-in as "20,000,000 years to Earth" with "One Million BC."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on July 30, 2019, 08:42:43 AM
agree, not very good. Left it open for a sequel......oh joy of joys.

Isn't it based on a longer manga series? They kinda had to leave it open. Doesn't mean they'll adapt the entire series, but they have to acknowledge that the story doesn't end where they left it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

LoriPinkAngel

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2019, 07:15:45 AM
For Tarantino fans, Once Upon a Time... is an excellent film.  I'd rate it his number 2, just under Inglorious.  He's the Woody Allen of crime and violence.  Sometimes his movies are wonderfully creative, and sometimes they are complete flops.  And I can never predict what he's going to do next.  Avoid the reviews and see it unspoiled.  Let it unfold.  Knowing too much about it will spoil it.

Loved that movie.  The music was great.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2019, 11:10:56 AM
Today I receive "Quatermass and the Pit." Been more than fifty years but I still remember that one. Double feature at the drive-in as "20,000,000 years to Earth" with "One Million BC."
Ohhhh, I haven't seen any of those in *ages*!  I'd especially like to see Quatermass again.  I remember that from one of the sci-fi weeks on the afternoon movie (with 'Dialing for Dollars'!), along with 'When Worlds Collide', 'Crack in the World' and 'From Hell it Came!'.

Man, do I miss local programming.  'The Big Show' (the above-mentioned afternoon movie) was a wonderful cinematic education; they ran everything from silents to (then-)recent releases, and everything from Ed Wood to Orson Welles.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2019, 11:27:15 AM
In the comics Jane foster, Thor's on and off girlfriend is the one they make female Thor into, so by comic book continuity they are following that.

However, female Thor comics tanked and they had to cancel the series because nobody was buying the comics

Apparently that wasn't enough of a message for why making female Thor a movie might be the worst idea, you know, after hiring an sjw to play Captain marvel.

'progressives' don't buy comics, and as these ridiculous 'progressive' marvel character reimaginings have shown, these ideas won't win people over.

I reply as an old comic book readers starting in 1960 and a reader of myths...  There are some things that should not change.  Thor shouldn't be a woman.  Nor should Captain Marvel.  There is a history there.  That said, let there be more female heros.  I have some favorites.  I always thought Jean Grey would be more than in the old comics.  I loved Mantis.  Scarlett Witch was a comer.  Sue Storm grew.  Mystique and Rogue are powerful.

Let there be new female heros rather than transfer them into male characters. 

You what 2 movies I can watch almost any day?  'The Incredibles' and 'Hancock'.  I love all the Incredibles.  Mr and Elastigirl re great and I loved seeing Dash and Violet grow into their powers.  Everytime I see Dash run on water, I crack up.  But to me, Elastigirl (hey, I didn't name her) and Violet are great.

'Hancock' (which I watched again for about the 10th time last night) is endlessly fascinating.  An amnesiac superhero who lives (rather miserably) alone and causes utter destruction when he stops crimes, he is the antithesis of standard superheroism though not any more destructive then the standard ones are.  The first time I saw the movie, I was both confused and awed at him. 

As the story developed, and I saw there was a missing history to his life, I could not turn away.  When Mary threw him out of her house and showed her own power, I was stunned.  The plot had been that he was the one and only superhero in the world.  So, after some obligatory fighting and destruction on par with any Marvel movie, they look around and see all the damage they have caused.  And pause...

Later, when Hancock is actually injured by a simple bullet, we see that something is going wrong.  In the hospital, Mary tells Hancock what they are.  They are the last of some odd paired creations by ancient aliens designed to protect Earth.  Hancock is The Protector.  Mary doesn't say exactly what her purpose is, but it is either a builder of ancient cities or a controller of natural events, I think.  She seemed to say she was NOT a "Protector".

When Mary is at Hancock's hospital bedside and telling him who they are and explaining the scars on his body, I cry.  It is so moving.  When she tells him that, when they are together, they weaken.  And for a reason.  That they might live and love and grow old together and die.  I thought that was a bit hokey at first (why be created to die?) but after a few viewings, I come to the conclusion that immortality is not for forever (Tolkien's elves idea of the "gift to men" that they would die  of age and even the Norse gods in Marvel and myth die). 

As Mary and Hancock are both dying from the injuries that their closeness are causing, Hancock finally throws himself out a high window.  He ain't dead yet...  Falling to the street below, he gets a little distance from Mary and gains a little strength.  And her heartbeat starts again.  The further he jumps, the more they both recover.

I would like to see a prequel, showing more about their origins, past lives, etc, but that would be difficult.  Most of 'Hancock' revolves around what we (and he) DOESN'T know about himself and why he is so bizarre in his behavior.  A prequel would be more like a standard superhero movie if the creators are not careful. 

It could be done.  'Prometheus' was an amazing prequel to 'Alien'.  But it couldn't be "Hancock and Mary Kick Butt".  There would be the other pairs, the creators, the purpose, and how the others died and why and what THEIR purposes were (if Hancock is "The Protector" what were the others?).

So those are the 2 movies I am watching.  Waiting for Incredibles2 on a night where I want to sit for 2 hours...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 01, 2019, 06:08:31 AM
The comics are not sacred.

GASP!!!  How can the actual origins, plotlines, and contradictions of the comic books (if ever there was a poor term) be challenged in this day of movies?  I am shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you.

I miss the "comic" books...  I miss the authority of the origins.  I don't like it when Hollywood (wherever that is these days) messes with my memories.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 06:28:23 AM
GASP!!!  How can the actual origins, plotlines, and contradictions of the comic books (if ever there was a poor term) be challenged in this day of movies?  I am shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you.

I miss the "comic" books...  I miss the authority of the origins.  I don't like it when Hollywood (wherever that is these days) messes with my memories.
Sorry, but when I read Bullard of the Space Patrol it was the end of my comic book days. I didn't know scifi as a genre even existed before then.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 01, 2019, 06:49:07 AM
Sorry, but when I read Bullard of the Space Patrol it was the end of my comic book days. I didn't know scifi as a genre even existed before then.

I had to look that up.  And it still brought no memories.  And I vaguely remember Gerald Mc Boing-Boing and Tom Terrific!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 02:59:38 AM
I reply as an old comic book readers starting in 1960 and a reader of myths...  There are some things that should not change.  Thor shouldn't be a woman.  Nor should Captain Marvel.  There is a history there.  That said, let there be more female heros.  I have some favorites.  I always thought Jean Grey would be more than in the old comics.  I loved Mantis.  Scarlett Witch was a comer.  Sue Storm grew.  Mystique and Rogue are powerful.

You what 2 movies I can watch almost any day?  'The Incredibles' and 'Hancock'.  I love all the Incredibles.  Mr and Elastigirl re great and I loved seeing Dash and Violet grow into their powers.  Everytime I see Dash run on water, I crack up.  But to me, Elastigirl (hey, I didn't name her) and Violet are great.

'Hancock' (which I watched again for about the 10th time last night) is endlessly fascinating.  An amnesiac superhero who lives (rather miserably) alone and causes utter destruction when he stops crimes, he is the antithesis of standard superheroism though not any more destructive then the standard ones are.  The first time I saw the movie, I was both confused and awed at him. 

As the story developed, and I saw there was a missing history to his life, I could not turn away.  When Mary threw him out of her house and showed her own power, I was stunned.  The plot had been that he was the one and only superhero in the world.  So, after some obligatory fighting and destruction on par with any Marvel movie, they look around and see all the damage they have caused.  And pause...

Later, when Hancock is actually injured by a simple bullet, we see that something is going wrong.  In the hospital, Mary tells Hancock what they are.  They are the last of some odd paired creations by ancient aliens designed to protect Earth.  Hancock is The Protector.  Mary doesn't say exactly what her purpose is, but it is either a builder of ancient cities or a controller of natural events, I think.  She seemed to say she was NOT a "Protector".

When Mary is at Hancock's hospital bedside and telling him who they are and explaining the scars on his body, I cry.  It is so moving.  When she tells him that, when they are together, they weaken.  And for a reason.  That they might live and love and grow old together and die.  I thought that was a bit hokey at first (why be created to die?) but after a few viewings, I come to the conclusion that immortality is not for forever (Tolkien's elves idea of the "gift to men" that they would die  of age and even the Norse gods in Marvel and myth die). 

As Mary and Hancock are both dying from the injuries that their closeness are causing, Hancock finally throws himself out a high window.  He ain't dead yet...  Falling to the street below, he gets a little distance from Mary and gains a little strength.  And her heartbeat starts again.  The further he jumps, the more they both recover.

I would like to see a prequel, showing more about their origins, past lives, etc, but that would be difficult.  Most of 'Hancock' revolves around what we (and he) DOESN'T know about himself and why he is so bizarre in his behavior.  A prequel would be more like a standard superhero movie if the creators are not careful. 

It could be done.  'Prometheus' was an amazing prequel to 'Alien'.  But it couldn't be "Hancock and Mary Kick Butt".  There would be the other pairs, the creators, the purpose, and how the others died and why and what THEIR purposes were (if Hancock is "The Protector" what were the others?).

So those are the 2 movies I am watching.  Waiting for Incredibles2 on a night where I want to sit for 2 hours...

I am completely on board with female leads. Some of my fav movie and gaming characters are women, Ripley, Lara croft, coraline, Wonder Woman, Maria (sound of music), Dorothy Gale, Eowyn, Sarah Conner, these are all strong leads with dynamic and differing characters, but most of all their unique and not just playing off someone else's status or forcing agendas.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 01, 2019, 01:14:23 PM
I am completely on board with female leads. Some of my fav movie and gaming characters are women, Ripley, Lara croft, coraline, Wonder Woman, Maria (sound of music), Dorothy Gale, Eowyn, Sarah Conner, these are all strong leads with dynamic and differing characters, but most of all their unique and not just playing off someone else's status or forcing agendas.

I agree and that is a better list than I could come up with.  I can understand that I didn't think of Dorothy Gale and Maria (the most beautiful sound that I ever heard, Maria), but I am surprised that I didn't think of Ripley or Eowyn.  Both profound heroes in my mind.

When I think of 'Alien', itsnot the ending that comes to mind but the moment the gate raises and she comes out in the warehouse loader outfit.  Because at that moment, she didn't know if it would work, but it was all she had and she went with it.

And in LOTR, it isn't the end of Sauron or the Ring that I look for (though it is close), but Eowyn pulling off her helmet to challenge the Nazgul King.  Merry's dagger "unknit the undead sinews" or something like that and Eowyn dealt a thrust through the face.  "No man could kill him", but a Hobbit and a woman did.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 02:59:38 AM
Bingo!  That sums it up for me.  I love women superheroes.  The so called fairer sex tearing the heads off bank robbers and rapists is very appealing.  Love Wonder Woman (the one character that put's DC ahead of Marvel on gender equality).  There's Red Witch and Black widow that deserve more attention.  Even revenge films where a woman hunts down her betrayers, and wipes the floor with them before she kills them off one after another are great fun.  Captain Marvel is OK, because I understand the DC restraining order over intellectual property, but changing Thor to a woman makes little sense.  Actual Norse mythology is what it is.  Maybe just magically transfer Thor's powers to Jane Foster, and make her the supreme ruler of Asgard, but call her Queen Jane of the New Realm or something.  This wouldn't be disrespectful to either gender, mythology, or the MCU, while still being empowering to modern women, if in fact this is what this whole gender reassignment is supposed to accomplish.  And you've already got some lesser women heroes with potentially interesting origin stories that have not been elevated to their full capacity for no other reason than Marvel just hasn't.  But that could easily be added in or fixed without getting rid of established characters.

Now I haven't seen the next Thor movie.  Maybe Disney can pull this off without disturbing fan's sense of continuity. But it's going to be challenging, and maybe even potentially harmful to the franchise too.

SGOS

How about this?  Thor realizes that his life has been unfulfilled because he finally recognizes that for the last thousand years, he's been a woman trapped in a man's body.  He undergoes reconstructive surgery and resumes his role as leader of his people?

Or:

In order to take revenge for being denied the throne, Loki changes Thor into a woman, but Thor remains unaffected by Loki's diabolical plot, kills Loki (I never liked that asshole much anyway), and learns to live with the change, but somehow get's his old eye back because I'm not that turned on my one eyed women.