Failed Christian shoe promoter makes anti-gay first-person shooter

Started by PickelledEggs, May 06, 2015, 12:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

QuoteThe Steam downloadable games shop launched its "Greenlight" initiative in 2012 as a way to open its sales doors to smaller game developers. However, because the shop launched with a glut of inauthentic and joking submissions, the folks at Valve added a $100 fee to "cut down the noise."

Whether or not that fee has been backed by any active filtering or monitoring service, Greenlight still failed to stop a game from launching that clearly violated its terms of service. Kill The Faggot, a light-gun-styled game about shooting gay people made by a California developer, skateboarder, and Christian shoe promoter named Randall Herman, launched for public consumption early Monday morning before being pulled from the Greenlight service hours later.

Before its removal from Greenlight, games critic Jim Sterling downloaded and tested the game, which launched via Herman's game shop moniker Skaldic Games. The resulting YouTube video revealed a crude game that has players aim a bullseye to shoot and kill people who say such things as, "Can I put my weiner in your butt?" and "Whoops, I just dropped the soap." (After playing a minute of the game, Sterling shouted, "Where is the fucking satire? What is it satirizing? Not really anything. It's just being 'the thing.'")

The game makes very clear that its goal is to shoot and kill gay people (with liberal use of the pejorative F-word in the game's title, at that). Players get points for killing gay peopleâ€"more points if the person killed is transgenderâ€"and they lose points for any straight people they kill. It's hard to make a judgment call about the "most" offensive thing in this game, but we were particularly disturbed to hear the game's announcer celebrate a kill by saying, "AIDS carrier eliminated."

Before the game had been taken down, its Greenlight page included many comments from upset customers, including calls to Steam to institute a more rigorous filter or monitoring system so that the service didn't have to depend on community votes. that the mere hurdle of a $100 Greenlight fee apparently wasn't enough to deter people who might break the service's rules. This incident followed a December back-and-forth between Valve and an "adults-only" shooting game called Hatred, which eventually was reinstated on Steam Greenlight.

After KTF was removed from Greenlight, a statement was posted at Skaldic Games' site with a link to a free version of the game and an explanation about its creation. The title had originally been made as a mini-game within a larger open-world adventure that Herman is still working on, he wrote, and he claimed that the game's lack of quality was due to being made "in only a few days."

"These people that think if you are even remotely homophobic, you are 'hateful' and a 'bigot,' and do everything they can to destroy you in every vicious way possible," Herman wrote. "So I decided to go down a path that most developers are afraid to go down: to piss these people off by making the most overly offensive game possible to these idiots to prove a point."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/04/failed-christian-shoe-promoter-makes-anti-gay-first-person-shooter/

AllPurposeAtheist

And the problem with killing gay people is what exactly? 
Is the object to kill  people we actually like? Oh, I get it.... Well maybe not...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

Quote"These people that think if you are even remotely homophobic, you are 'hateful' and a 'bigot,'...

...okay.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

The purpose of this game was to target people that are gay... and for anyone that is transsexual that you kill, you get extra points. It's really fucked up and bigoted.

drunkenshoe

There should be enough toxic bullshit here to prosecute this piece of shit for hate speech and if he succeeds with his plan, hate propaganda.

If democrats stick around, do you think it could be possible in the next decade?

But when that can of worms opens... other stuff will come out too. Then people will have to accept a certain kind of general harm of media entertainment in gender issues. I doubt that door will open easily. Too much money at stake. Will be a hard and long transition period.   

Think about it like this though. When we see tv commercials from 60s and 70s mostly it is disturbing for us now. Probably wil be the same to the people with all this in 2030 or 2040. Though of course this is an exceptionally disturbing example stated in the OP.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

_Xenu_

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 06, 2015, 03:20:12 AM
There should be enough toxic bullshit here to prosecute this piece of shit for hate speech and if he succeeds with his plan, hate propaganda.
He lives in California, and overt hate speech is perfectly legal in the US, as it should be. Words should be fought with words. This guy is already being widely condemned for his actions, also as it should be.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

drunkenshoe

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 06, 2015, 06:11:45 AM
He lives in California, and overt hate speech is perfectly legal in the US, as it should be. Words should be fought with words. This guy is already being widely condemned for his actions, also as it should be.

I don't agree.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

_Xenu_

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 06, 2015, 06:13:04 AM
I don't agree.
I had a feeling you wouldn't, but please don't send a tl;dr ticked off rant to my inbox.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 06, 2015, 06:17:15 AM
I had a feeling you wouldn't, but please don't send a tl;dr ticked off rant to my inbox.

Are you talking about a pm I have sent you 3 years ago when I was pissed off to SF which you took it as something written to you because of your PTSD?

I haven't had any exchanges of that sort with you other than that. For a long time, not properly even in the forum, let alone smt 'tl:dr' in PM.

Do not use my posts to get attention by creating some fake issue between you and me. I am not interested in your opinions, discuss yours without quoting mine. 

_Xenu_

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 06, 2015, 06:33:48 AM
Are you talking about a pm I have sent you 3 years ago when I was pissed off to SF which you took it as something written to you because of your PTSD?

I haven't had any exchanges of that sort with you other than that. For a long time, not properly even in the forum, let alone smt 'tl:dr' in PM.

Do not use my posts to get attention by creating some fake issue between you and me. I am not interested in your opinions, discuss yours without quoting mine. 
Just as sweet as I remember you. You did it several times over really minor stuff.  I'm putting you back on ignore. Next time you leave, stay gone.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 06, 2015, 06:48:09 AM
Just as sweet as I remember you. You did it several times over really minor stuff.  I'm putting you back on ignore. Next time you leave, stay gone.

Aw... sorry sweety. I usually snap at people when they call me a psycopath, advertise that I'm sick in some way for nothing -only after I am gone of course- and then try to engage with me out of nowhere, so they can imply that I 'harrassed' them in some way to create a fake issue to get some attention. Please stick to that ignore button this time.

Aletheia

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 06, 2015, 06:48:09 AM
I'm putting you back on ignore. Next time you leave, stay gone.

So... you want someone's words you don't want to hear to be censored?

Runs a little counter to:

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 06, 2015, 06:48:09 AMovert hate speech is perfectly legal in the US, as it should be. Words should be fought with words.

In this case, her words aren't nearly as offensive as hate speech and yet you're not willing to fight words with words.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

That is kinda condescending isn't it, saying you think someone should have the right to say what they want, and then condemning someone else for saying what they think and silencing them?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Desdinova

Every time assholes like this guy do shit like this it only clarifies to the rest of the world how ignorant and bigoted they are.  Let them continue to spew out this garbage and it will only serve as an impetus for people to see them for what they really are.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

I'm all for free speech, but yelling fire in a crowded theater with back doors and homosexuals should be condemned in my opinion.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.