News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A God That Could Be Real

Started by SGOS, April 23, 2015, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

And I suppose nobody has considered that I could be a God? I rain down pestilence from the sky, create earthquakes and floods to millions of ants in my backyard and they happily rebuild their little temples for me to destroy at my leisure.
See?  We can ALL be a God!
I'm ok, you're ok and that there's what it is. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: NakedTracyBlack on July 28, 2015, 07:44:37 PM
I'm not sure why a god who created the universe couldn't exist or a god who existed before the universe.  That's all supposing that our universe is the only thing there is.  There's no evidence of anything more, but it's imo at least a possibility.

Of course my beliefs would be considered weird by most.

I think the exact same thing, and I don't think it's weird:  "There's no evidence of anything more, but it's imo at least a possibility."

Tell me why that's weird.  You know what's really weird?  People who believe some cracker headed bullshit on the basis that there's no evidence for it.  Now that's fuckin' weird.

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 24, 2015, 12:15:51 AM
That is one long, drawn out way of saying "buy my book"...

It's a nakedly obvious cheap pitch.  It's about like a yahoo news head line:  "See What this Woman Does When She Thinks She's not on Camera", "Do You Know How this Doctor Cures a Secret Disease?"

I wouldn't buy her book, specifically because of her way of promoting it.  It's appeal is for the disappointed new ager seeking for something that isn't there.   

NakedTracyBlack

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2015, 06:35:34 AM
I think the exact same thing, and I don't think it's weird:  "There's no evidence of anything more, but it's imo at least a possibility."

Tell me why that's weird.  You know what's really weird?  People who believe some cracker headed bullshit on the basis that there's no evidence for it.  Now that's fuckin' weird.

Well most of my beliefs come from when I'm in an altered state.  So most people consider them weird.

_Xenu_

A fictional story about an atheist that meets a much more probable god than the Christian one. Also has a nice explanation of the Fermi paradox.

http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mike Cl

Quote from: NakedTracyBlack on July 29, 2015, 04:39:33 PM
Well most of my beliefs come from when I'm in an altered state.  So most people consider them weird.
Hey, NakedTracyBlack......................I'm hoping Tracy is a woman. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

Not matter how my mind has been altered by a drug, or by many at the same time, they have never made me believe in a God accept myself. Without myself I am not created, and without myself I don't exist. And me, myself, and I agree!  :eek: :pidu: :weed: Shrooms did make me believe in hell though when I could see a rainbow halo around my hands while looking at the bones inside my hand glowing red. And one time on Quaaludes, pot, cocaine, I went to France during world war two and had sex with a French prostitute while bombs were going off and speaking French fluently. She never liked wine bottles after that.  :eek: When I woke up I had a coyote in bed next to me. APA, please explain what a Coyote is for the youngsters here.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on July 29, 2015, 05:35:27 PM
Not matter how my mind has been altered by a drug, or by many at the same time, they have never made me believe in a God accept myself. Without myself I am not created, and without myself I don't exist. And me, myself, and I agree!  :eek: :pidu: :weed: Shrooms did make me believe in hell though when I could see a rainbow halo around my hands while looking at the bones inside my hand glowing red. And one time on Quaaludes, pot, cocaine, I went to France during world war two and had sex with a French prostitute while bombs were going off and speaking French fluently. She never liked wine bottles after that.  :eek: When I woke up I had a coyote in bed next to me. APA, please explain what a Coyote is for the youngsters here.
If you have two arms Sol, then you must not have been with a coyote. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Solitary ... for real dream, or just making fun of one of my posts?  I like it when people make fun of me ;-P

AllPurposeAtheist ... I agree ... only everyone is a demigod/angel/demon ... because reality is irrational and supernatural (as atheists call it).  I find the rationality of rationalists to be irrational ... and the naturalism of naturalists to be supernatural.

NakedTracyBlack ... I agree ... lots of people have altered states, with or without substance assistance.  Such states tell me that reality is more than materialists think it is.  But if you get over confirmation bias ... everyday experiences are much more accessible and just as weird.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

If God can't break the laws of nature, then what's he good for? Who needs a god who just sits there and watches silently? And if he didn't create the universe to begin with, did he even contribute anything to the universe at all? If this kind of god exists, I don't see any reason to care.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 30, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
If God can't break the laws of nature, then what's he good for? Who needs a god who just sits there and watches silently? And if he didn't create the universe to begin with, did he even contribute anything to the universe at all? If this kind of god exists, I don't see any reason to care.

good start, but a REAL god does not have to break the laws of nature because it does exactly what he wants them to do. He does not interfere with humans because he knows the end of the story before he started it so it is of no importance to him. He started it and then left to do other things, why would he need to watch it, he already knows what happens. Do you watch any movie expecting the ending to be different?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

jonb

Quote from: aitm on August 30, 2015, 08:20:34 PM
good start, but a REAL god does not have to break the laws of nature because it does exactly what he wants them to do. He does not interfere with humans because he knows the end of the story before he started it so it is of no importance to him. He started it and then left to do other things, why would he need to watch it, he already knows what happens. Do you watch any movie expecting the ending to be different?

That would be a gawd without a future, everything dictated by its actions in the past, those actions having been set in motion the gawd has no further purpose. A pointless gawd.

Baruch

Deism is a pointless god, as is a predestination god.  And a predetermination god (no free will) would be the ultimate monster.  See the clergy do this "Om" thing and then nobody is willing to break the mood by laughing.

Blackleaf ... there are no laws in nature ... that is an old theology by theistic scientists trying to boost their reputation (look at me, I can read the mind of G-d, and I ain't even a Jewish prophet) ... there are recurring patterns, like in a cellular automata version of Life.  And it is inductive ... the pattern holds until it doesn't.  It is optimism that gravity won't suddenly stop working, because we don't yet know the off switch in quantum gravity theory (thankfully).  Induction is relative, not absolute.  Even deduction is weak soup.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: NakedTracyBlack on July 28, 2015, 07:44:37 PM
Meanwhile, many of those who choose science find themselves without any way of thinking that can give them access to their own spiritual potential.
Because those who choose science find no sense of wonder in it? I will likely struggle with depression for my entire life, but I was never so down as when I lived through the futility of trying to find anything positive and wonderous in never-changing religious woo.

The fuckers who sell their woo like this are no different from those who would tell one who is suicidal and standing on a bridge to go ahead and jump! Dope dealers deserve some leniency, but those who sell the spirit woo need to be scrubbed off the streets, scrubbed off the Internets, and isolated completely.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.