News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is wicca a fake religion

Started by Ace101, March 29, 2015, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

I have a hard time believing that any members of this "religion" seriously believe in these ancient pagan gods, or in "magic" or anything else - to me it's more like a "live action fantasy role playing club" than an actual religion - what say you?

Mermaid

Where do you draw the line at fake religion? I think they're all fake. I think wiccan is at least as legit as any other religion, at least they worship nature instead of some dead guy.

What about Scientology?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Ace101

Quote from: Mermaid on March 29, 2015, 03:52:22 PM
Where do you draw the line at fake religion? I think they're all fake. I think wiccan is at least as legit as any other religion, at least they worship nature instead of some dead guy.
The difference is that I think Christians who grow up heavily influenced by religion have a stronger belief in it, than someone just deciding on their own to start worshiping some ancient pagan god which no one believes in. I think it's more like a counter-culture thing than a real religion - similar to Le Vey Satanism - I doubt the majority of them literally believe in Satan.

What about Scientology?
Scientology's more of a cult and members are heavily controlled, but as far as I know wicca isn't a very organized religion. I think Scientologists are more brainwashed and probably believe the stuff about dianetics, Xenu, etc

Brian37

What do you mean by "fake religion" all religions are man made.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

aitm

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 03:39:51 PM
I have a hard time believing that any members of this "religion" seriously believe in these ancient pagan gods, or in "magic" or anything else - to me it's more like a "live action fantasy role playing club" than an actual religion - what say you?

really? I mean….really? You ever even read the babble? You have got to be fuckin with us….me thinks a serious look at your IP is called for, no one is that dumb on purpose…well, not and still be able to use a computer...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

My former girl friend was a Wiccan and sure put a spell on me.   :syda: :syda: :syda: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :wink2: :kidra: :biggrin2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Define fake.   Because that sounds like every religion. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Ace101

Quote from: aitm on March 29, 2015, 04:39:44 PM
really? I mean….really? You ever even read the babble? You have got to be fuckin with us….me thinks a serious look at your IP is called for, no one is that dumb on purpose…well, not and still be able to use a computer...
Jesus Christ, what a lot of horseshit - most people who are Christian grew up being taught it from a young age - most people who are Wiccan just 'decide one day' to start worshiping ancient pagan gods who no one believes in - huge difference. There's no effort to 'recruit' people into being Wiccans, or 'provide proof' that their religion is true - like there is in Christianity or Islam. I think the majority of them are just rebellious teens (and adults) who want negative attention and don't really believe any of it.

Mermaid

I don't see a huge distinction between any religion on a very basic level.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Well, it does sound kind of fun, cavorting through the woods at night, and having pagan rituals next to the bonfire doing "whatever".  I'll guess half the people do it because it's fun.  Wouldn't a religion that's a fun fantasy be more appealing than Christian blood and gore, eternal torture, and hate speech?  You may not believe in magic, but the idea that maybe it could be real allows you to politically correctly say, "Me?  Why yes, I'm a very spiritual person." 

SGOS

Too bad that witch lady that used to hang out here is gone.  She could probably provide an opinion about this that would be worth considering.

Ace101

How many people actually 'believe' in the Flying Spaghetti Monster for example? There might be some crazy person somewhere who does, but I think 99% of the "pastafarians" just worship it for fun.

Shiranu

QuoteThe difference is that I think Christians who grow up heavily influenced by religion have a stronger belief in it, than someone just deciding on their own to start worshiping some ancient pagan god which no one believes in.

Well, I don't know about how Wiccans justify it, but... the ancient pagan gods are what my ancestors worshiped, does that not give me right to start worshiping them again if I liked? If hundreds of generations of my blood were born, lived, and died believing in it... well, far more generations of my kin believed in pagan gods than believed in the Abrahamic god.

To me the belief in Christianity is more the fringe religion because, frankly, my people have not followed it for very long compared to the gods of old. If you add up the members of my ancestors, Christianity is far more the counter-culture and the "pagan" believers are the more conservative side to go with.

For me personally, if I was to worship the pagan gods it would be out of respect and to become more in touch with my ancestors more than anything else. If that makes me an "angst, rebellious teen/adult"... meh, so be it. By your own admission Wiccans aren't going out trying to convert people; rather it is other's who make a big hoo-ha out of them. How can be they rebellious attention seekers if they aren't the one's seeking attention?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

It's as real as a genuine imitation plastic diamond, but if it gets you all gooey and warm inside as opposed to killing others for it then I say go for it..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Why are their gods more difficult to believe than Jesus Christ or Allah????  Or Zeus or Thor or, well, any other magic man or woman in the sky????  The catholic church is even more like  a 'live action fantasy role playing club' than Wicca.  The belief in magic is simply belief in magic--it requires one to have 'belief' and then to believe in magic or supernatural happenings.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?