News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I like Project Horizons.  It's not quite as amazing as Fallout Equestria (a very hard act to follow), but it's a solid side story, and the main protagonist is also easy to empathize with.  Although there's less emotional anguish, it's a much darker and gorier story.  There have been a couple moments that actually shocked me, and I'm not easily shocked.  And the same YouTuber who read Fallout Equestria aloud did a superb job on Project Horizons.  He has improved a lot.

I tried reading Heroes, but it suffers from a lot of extremely noticeable spelling/grammar errors.  It's littered with it's/its errors and other errors bad enough to make it difficult to decipher some sentences.  It's still a work in progress, so hopefully it'll get cleaned up after completion.  It seems like a decent enough story otherwise.

GrinningYMIR

I do like good plot twists, stop with all the good stories! I already have a back log!!

I can't read that fast!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

Successfully defended Luna's claim tonight Hydra, though the garrison was sorely pressed against the onslaught, the men are low on morale, and we need more forces if we are to hope to defend for the second night.

Long live Princess Luna, Glory to the Republic!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

We are confused but intrigued.  What are thou referring to?

Shiranu

Hello, boys.

As of here forth now, all your base are belong to Lana.

(I'm going to be honest, I really wanted to shoop Lana's face onto a pony and be all like, "I'm totally not Lana infiltrating yo' threads"... but I was too lazy.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 06, 2015, 12:32:35 AM
We are confused but intrigued.  What are thou referring to?

A short time ago, Republic forces annexed a thread on here in the name of our Lady, the garrison there has come under heavy assault since then, and barely held out last night, we are requesting aid for our ponies and humans under siege.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2015, 03:19:14 AM

Hello, boys.

As of here forth now, all your base are belong to Lana.

(I'm going to be honest, I really wanted to shoop Lana's face onto a pony and be all like, "I'm totally not Lana infiltrating yo' threads"... but I was too lazy.)

this is the Brony thread Shir, always ponies. As for you and Lana, well

GrinningYMIR

One last thing before the thread goes back to being buried, I like this part of the fandom

Hydra009

As much as I absolutely LOVE the concept for the NLR, some bronies really don't like Celestia being vilified in the fandom and don't fully understand the absurdity of it all given the canon.  The premise of Luna leading a coup d'etat against her sister is ridiculous.  It's all in good fun.  But yeah, Celestia is often a troll or a tyrant or a serial rapist in the fandom.  It gives the false impression that bronies hate her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkmhbED9R4

She's not very fleshed out in the show (neither is Luna, come to think of it), but we do know that she's a shrewd politician with long-term machinations.  (her tutelage of Twilight, for example - it's crazy just how much stuff she put into motion just by telling Twilight to make some friends.  It set the stage for the battle with Nightmare Moon, for starters)  She's a stern but merciful mentor, prefers an informal style, and has a fondness for pranks.   And Discord really brings out her anger.  Other than that, not much is known about her.

GrinningYMIR

Molestia, she's interesting.

Ever read the Wheel of Time? There's a character in it that reminds me a lot of Celestia, she is definitively on the side of good yet is still very mysterious. Just like Celestia she has been in power for a very long time, as long as many of the characters can remember in fact. (Mirrors how Celestia has been in power for so long that everyone has just gotten used to her being there) She is always plotting something or another, and people are always being subtly manipulated in order to accomplish her long-term goals. Again like Celestia sending Twilight to Ponyville.

One of the aspects I like, and plan to use, is the aspect that people/ponies are growing tired of her always being in power, because she decides whatever happens and no one can stand against it, its a benevolent dictatorship, but a dictatorship nonetheless. And, because she is still a living creature, not the god that she seems to be, she is susceptible to her own biases, so something that doesn't fit her profile of good is evil.

Obviously that's not how it works in the show, I like how Celestia more or less lets things run as they should unless all hell breaks loose, in which case she steps in to fix it.

And as a side note, which do you prefer, swords and sorcery in the FF's or guns and Sorcery? I feel like Equestria wouldn't have advanced too far in the realm of military science, given that they haven't fought too many conflicts

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 07, 2015, 06:26:52 PMI like how Celestia more or less lets things run as they should unless all hell breaks loose, in which case she steps in to fix it.
Celestia fixing things?  Pssht!  That's what Twilight is for.

A single dragon sleeping in a cave near Ponyville somehow creating smoke all over Equestria?  Twilight to the rescue!
Discord?  Go do that maze thing while Luna and I sit back and not find the Elements of Harmony.
Chrysalis?  Out for the count.  Up to you, Twilight!
Tirek?  Go Twilight!

The only time that Celestia fixed anything was when Twilight started going nuts in Lesson Zero.

QuoteAnd as a side note, which do you prefer, swords and sorcery in the FF's or guns and Sorcery? I feel like Equestria wouldn't have advanced too far in the realm of military science, given that they haven't fought too many conflicts
Tanks and bullets have entered the lexicon, though.  Maybe there was a conflict in the distant past...

GrinningYMIR

shhh...don't let her hear you Hydra, big sister is always watching.

Maybe, could just be a writing oversight though. Plus the Royal Guards are wearing scale mail, armor wouldn't be around if it were a modern war, unless it was a future war.

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 07, 2015, 08:28:41 PMMaybe, could just be a writing oversight though.
The bullet one almost certainly was, the tank thing was pretty deliberate.  There are flashlights and computers as well.  Word of God is that the tech levels jump around for ease of storytelling, but the resulting internal inconsistency is pretty jarring.

QuotePlus the Royal Guards are wearing scale mail, armor wouldn't be around if it were a modern war, unless it was a future war.
That's actually lorica segmentata, not scale.

GrinningYMIR

Really?

Curse you and your superior knowledge of medieval and iron age equipment modified for Ponies.

for my purposes I'll go with the theory that tech evolved non-militarily, which explains how they could be so advanced as to have trains and stuff, but don't have automotive capabilities, modern weapons, or even a computer.

Plus as soon as they invented AA guns the Pegasi would be pretty much screwed

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 07, 2015, 09:48:56 PMReally?

Curse you and your superior knowledge of medieval and iron age equipment modified for Ponies.
I really like Greco-Roman everything.  And mlp has tons of Greek references.  So when I saw guard ponies, I immediately noticed that they looked awfully familiar.

Other interesting factoids:

Princess Celestia was originally envisioned as a queen until Hasbro made Faust change it.  Boo.  Hiss.

Canterlot was modeled after Minas Tirith.

Ponyville was originally going to be called Fillydelphia

Until she got a pet, Rainbow Dash was the only one of the mane six to live alone.