News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

I just subscribed to BritBox.  Classic Doctor Who, QI, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, the Jeremy Brett Holmes series, Blackadder, Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, Would I Lie To You?, Ripping Yarns... yeah.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on August 05, 2020, 05:04:49 PM
I haven't watched Firefly for years.  It's been long enough that I barely remember the stories.  I just finished the second episode, and it actually seems better than ever.   I thought it was great the first time around, but now... holy crap, this is fun.  A series this good doesn't come around all that often.  Spaceships, cowboys, horses, and cattle.  Why does this even work when Cowboys and Aliens didn't do all that well?  You can't put cowboys and space ships together?  I guess depends on who does it.

It's a simple, natural odyessy of good natured outcasts. It's always on the move, changing but stable and 'reliable' at the same time. It's 'indie' at the all the right places, not trying to reach far or trying to dazzle while new, yet conventional and convincing. The chemistry between the cast is solid, the story is taking place around a ship.

Story telling doesn't get better than this if you do it right. That's why it's a basic form that survived for thousands of years. The  background doesn't matter. It's just we love Sci-Fi a bit more than other genres,lol. It could be in space, in a cave, on another planet, in another dimension, another universe or in Ancient Greece... It's the same story. Moving from point to point...while having a journey, having a lot of other journeys in it. It identifies the journey and the destination concepts -which is which thing- with each other at a tight rope, successfuly. Because moving from point A to point B is actually moving to the point Z through all the points in the alphabet, if it makes sense,lol.

It's universal. Everybody, every living organism with a certain intelligence and so memory is an Odysseus in some sense.

The same reason why Tolkien has built his myth on his heroes' journeys. Doesn't matter if it is related to the fate of their world or not in the biggest scale, Bilbo and Frodo are going through their personal odysseys too in the end. Well, obviously Odysseus, Bilbo and Frodo are far more unlucky than the most. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 06, 2020, 04:56:59 AM
It's a simple, natural odyessy of good natured outcasts. It's always on the move, changing but stable and 'reliable' at the same time. It's 'indie' at the all the right places, not trying to reach far or trying to dazzle while new, yet conventional and convincing. The chemistry between the cast is solid, the story is taking place around a ship.

Story telling doesn't get better than this if you do it right. That's why it's a basic form that survived for thousands of years.
Good description.  Also, it doesn't hurt that a genius like Joss Whedon created it.

aitm

Started watching “Picard” two nights ago. Very biased because I am a fan of the series, though not nutty like some of you.....

Enjoying it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on August 06, 2020, 11:39:40 AM
Started watching “Picard” two nights ago. Very biased because I am a fan of the series, though not nutty like some of you.....

Enjoying it.

But of course you have missed the slash/BDSM fiction produced on Picard and Q... What is better than an omnipotent entity as a master with a special dimension to host. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on August 06, 2020, 11:39:40 AMStarted watching “Picard” two nights ago. Very biased because I am a fan of the series, though not nutty like some of you.....

Enjoying it.
Heh.  Go for it.  Give me your honest opinion of everything up to and including the season finale.  Spare no detail!

trdsf

Watching a First Doctor serial I haven't seen before -- 'The Keys of Marinus'
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 06, 2020, 06:43:02 PM
Heh.  Go for it.  Give me your honest opinion of everything up to and including the season finale.  Spare no detail!
That’s why you like my take on it. I watch for entertainment, unless something really squirrelly catches my eye I don’t get involved in the science or possibilities os such. But so far I like it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Gonna give BBC's single season The White Queen a try...A companion two-part documentary series, The Real White Queen and Her Rivals, presented by Philippa Gregory, was made to accompany the series. It was broadcast on BBC Two on 17 and 24 July 2013

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on August 07, 2020, 02:45:24 PMI watch for entertainment, unless something really squirrelly catches my eye I don’t get involved in the science or possibilities os such. But so far I like it.
Famous last words.  :P

I'll admit, it had its moments, particularly in the early episodes.  But after a while...

Have you ever seen a plane try to take off from an aircraft carrier and it just doesn't quite get enough lift and it just struggles in the air for second after agonizing second until it inevitably comes crashing down?  That's my impression.  Though this one jackknifes into the parked planes and just kinda tumbles down the whole deck, showering debris everywhere and causing a couple fires.  Such a spectacular combination of errors.

It looked nice and shiny on the deck, though.

I'm serious about the reviews.  Doesn't have to be long, just give me your overall impression and stuff you liked or didn't like.  Comparing the first few to the last few would be a blast!

Hydra009

I told myself I wouldn't watch anymore Star Trek, but I just checked out the animated comedy series Below Decks, and I've gotta say, it's not awful.  6/10.

It's a very manic, silly show and to be perfectly honest, they could change the setting to Star Wars and no one would notice the difference.  So don't expect anything particularly substantive.  But it got a chuckle out of me and I kinda like lower-deck episodes in scifi - ordinary joes dealing with ordinary joe problems.  It doesn't always have to be the end of the world.  That said, there's still plenty of action in this series.

So if you're looking for a dumb silly comedy set in a dying franchise and behind a paywall...umm...you can take that short stick and put a redshirt on it and put it up in your yard and uhhh...and I guess that's something.

Hydra009

I've been trying to get into Lovecraft County.  Kind of a dull start, but it's steadily growing on me.

They may have mentioned that Lovecraft was a racist a couple times in the pilot.  At this point, is there anyone left on the planet who isn't aware of that?

One scene shocked and offended me to my very core.  Two men unfurl a map of the deep south and on it are large markers of hooded klansmen, showing racially violent, no-go areas.  Deeply disturbing stuff.  I mean, what sort of cartographer blots out whole counties with drawings?!  How are you supposed to navigate like that?  It defies all logic.

The map might as well look like this:

*edit - I just finished the pilot.  Finally, some action.  And very nicely done.  Alright, I'm hooked.

SGOS

Has anyone watched the Magicians?  I've never heard of it until today.  Is it any good?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 27, 2020, 11:47:41 AM
what sort of cartographer blots out whole counties with drawings?!  How are you supposed to navigate like that?  It defies all logic.

The map might as well look like this:

Depends on who's doing the cartography, I suppose.  Many years ago, it may have been in a psychology class, maybe in a chapter on perspective,  I saw a map of the US drawn from memory by a child who lived in New York City.  I think it was a very young child, like third grade.  New York City took up about a third of the map. Another third of the map showed a couple of well known areas in various places, like New Jersey, Brookland, and Chicago, and the last third was entirely used up by California, half of which was Los Angles.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on August 27, 2020, 06:35:04 PM
Has anyone watched the Magicians?  I've never heard of it until today.  Is it any good?

I watched the first couple of seasons. For me, The Magicians a mixed bag. I like the concept of taking children's stories and making them more mature and sinsister but almost all the characters, who are adults, have the emotional maturity of young adolescents. It has a fan fiction feel.