News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 23, 2019, 05:47:10 PM
watched the first two episodes of 'Titans' on netflix.

I didn't need it to be the 'teen titans' cartoon. I really didn't.

But for now, I was expecting... I dunno... more?

I'll keep watching for now. But I've heard Cyborg ain't in it, or not much. And that Garfield only changes into a tiger... I can get that budgetwise, for the CGI... but still... Seems to me like maybe then you should've gone with Victor over garfield and have garfield be a normal character that ends up getting his powers by the end of the first season. That way you can include him in the second, if it's a hit and you have the budget for it.
But maybe he'll turn out essential for the story of season 1, I dunno. Haven't seen much of him yet.

I expect Cyborg isn't in it because they're trying to create the illusion that it's set in the same universe as the DCU films, even if it isn't technically in the same canon. In the DCU, Cyborg is in the Justice League, so he's already got a team. And they probably don't have it in the budget to bring in Ray Fisher for cameos, especially with that tin foil CGI body he's got.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 23, 2019, 07:59:51 PM
I expect Cyborg isn't in it because they're trying to create the illusion that it's set in the same universe as the DCU films, even if it isn't technically in the same canon. In the DCU, Cyborg is in the Justice League, so he's already got a team. And they probably don't have it in the budget to bring in Ray Fisher for cameos, especially with that tin foil CGI body he's got.

I c... Kind of like how THE defenders don't go against THE mcu.

Well, it don't improve THE show.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

*slaps roof of The Vikings*
This bad boy can hold so many almost dead characters in it.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 23, 2019, 07:59:51 PM
Also, I seem to recall that Cyborg will be on the upcoming Doom Patrol ... which doesn't make a lot of sense because that team already has Robotman.  Well, we'll see what they do with it. Looks like it's going to be the Morrison DP rather than the original team, so I may have finally found a supers show I'll watch.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Draconic Aiur

Riverdale is looking good, but it has that twilight zing (fuck) and that Joesy and the Pussycats are not diverse. Needs more Jughead.

Hydra009

Vikings s5e20 Ragnarok

I'm going to be as brief as possible and not spoil anything important, but I just have to get this off my chest.

This is by far the worst episode of the entire series.  Maybe the worst medieval TV episode ever.  I'm talking Razzie-tier stuff.

For starters, this is the most poorly conceived siege battle I've ever seen in my life.  The siegers' gameplan is twofold:  1) run at the wall with your bollocks blowing in the breeze 2) bring a battering ram completely unsupported and unprotected (dafuq?!), then eventually bring shields to protect the ram

Also, lie in wait within spitting distance of the gates while remaining stealthy, then light a F*&$KING FLAMING ARROW while still staying stealthy (??!!), then run at the wall while screaming like a complete moron and ruining the element of surprise.

And oh my god, the characters.  I won't spoil anything, but there's scenery chewing galore.  The characters in that 300 movie were more dynamic and compelling.  Simply put: brave characters aren't, scheming characters aren't, intelligent characters aren't.  Several secondary characters with hours of screentime don't have any payoffs at all. 

There's simply no satisfaction or resolution to be had.  Life is pain and unhappiness and then you die.

There's also an intentionally vague ending that's supposed to be deep but actually comes across as obfuscation for obfuscation's sake.

I honestly thought that this show would become something great, that there'd be some sort of amazing payoff.  And while it has had its moments of greatness, it has been subtly declining for quite some time now.

Now I pray to Odin that this show gets cancelled soon.  This show would be grateful for the manner of it and welcome the valkyries to carry it home.

Baruch

Ever see The Warlord (1965)?  Has Charleton Heston and Richard Boone, and pretty good Viking (Frisian) vs Norman action.

Good siege action.  Mr Obvious should know, it is his country ... Flemings vs Walloons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Been watching Perry Mason a lot lately. Good show, although some episodes have definitely aged better than others.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 02, 2019, 09:32:49 AM
Been watching Perry Mason a lot lately. Good show, although some episodes have definitely aged better than others.

All you need is a good investigator, a smart secretary and the willingness to see the truth for what it is.  That and make the District Attorney look bad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Been loving the replays of Samurai Jack!  They are being shown in order on Cartoon Network at 8 pm est.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Samurai Jack is legend. I really liked the older seasons.
And I really loved 95% of the last season.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 03, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
Samurai Jack is legend. I really liked the older seasons.
And I really loved 95% of the last season.

That ending, though...

[spoiler=DO NOT READ THIS if you haven't finished the show!]Ashi disappearing from existence because Jack changed the future was complete BS. Not only does that type of time travel make no sense, but it also implies that everyone Jack did to help the people of the future was for nothing. None of it ever happened. The only part of the timeline that still exists is the first episode, before Jack is sent into the future, and the final episode after Jack gets back. Everything else was erased.[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 04, 2019, 01:11:34 AM
That ending, though...

[spoiler=DO NOT READ THIS if you haven't finished the show!]Ashi disappearing from existence because Jack changed the future was complete BS. Not only does that type of time travel make no sense, but it also implies that everyone Jack did to help the people of the future was for nothing. None of it ever happened. The only part of the timeline that still exists is the first episode, before Jack is sent into the future, and the final episode after Jack gets back. Everything else was erased.[/spoiler]

That's why I said 95% :p

[spoiler]When I invisioned it as a child, I Always imagined the finale being Jack defeating Aku in the future, and then going back to the past to defeat him again. That way the two timelines would exist seperatly and both have become aku-less.
I was dissatisfied with their take on time-travel, more than the actual ending. I mean the end-fight was not exactly the most epic one in the series, but it was okay enough.
And while I still firmly believe the ending could have been handled better, like way better... I have come to terms with the fact that whatever kind of time-travel someone chooses; you'll Always have dissatisfied people because people find different logic in different hypothetical ways of time-travel. So it's not good, but it doesn't bother me. Nor does it tarnish the last season for me. [/spoiler]

Munch

[spoiler]Fact of the matter is, jack wanted things to go back to how it was, all the damage Aku did to, all the people he killed, like the scotsman, in killing Aku in the past he saved their lives and the world being fucked over by aku, but in order to do that, he sacrificed a future with ashi.

time travel stories are always awkward, and presents a lot of deus ex machina situations at times. however I didn't mind this ending, because the point being even if no one else remembers what happened, jack does, and he carries those memories with him. [/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 04, 2019, 06:58:26 PM
[spoiler]Fact of the matter is, jack wanted things to go back to how it was, all the damage Aku did to, all the people he killed, like the scotsman, in killing Aku in the past he saved their lives and the world being fucked over by aku, but in order to do that, he sacrificed a future with ashi.

time travel stories are always awkward, and presents a lot of deus ex machina situations at times. however I didn't mind this ending, because the point being even if no one else remembers what happened, jack does, and he carries those memories with him. [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Jack spoilers]Didn't Jack miss a chance to go back in time because he wanted to help someone? If traveling back in time worked the way the ending showed, then he literally did that for nothing. Jack didn't only sacrifice his future with Ashi; he sacrificed Ashi's existence. Because of him, she'll never be born, as well anyone else from the future since the timeline has been so thoroughly diverted.

As far as time traveling mechanics work, I very much prefer the multiverse approach. In this version of time travel, traveling back in time creates a new timeline, while the original timeline goes on unaffected. This version of time travel is free of the usual paradoxes that come with time loops.

"But if you fixed what you went back in time to fix, then you wouldn't have gone back in time, but then you would have had to go back in time to fix it again..."

Not a problem with the multiverse model. As Mr. Obvious suggested, they could have had Aku's future as a separate timeline, providing a happy ending all around. Imagine if after Jack returned to the past and destroyed Aku, he then realized that all the people in the future who helped him were fighting a battle they couldn't win. Because he feels like he is in debt to them, he is unable to enjoy the peaceful timeline he created, and so he makes his way back to the future, slaying Aku in the future timeline. Jack is unable to find his way back to the past, but that no longer matters to him. Not only would Jack have accomplished his goal, saving his family and creating a world free of Aku, he would have also freed a world enslaved by Aku. The series ends with Jack content, helping the future world rebuild with the help of Ashi.[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--