News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I just saw the 5th episode of Hazbin.  I take back 66.6% of the bad things I said about it.  Seeing old scratch was a real delight and I guffawed quite a few times that episode.

"Haha it was actually my idea"
"Hahaha well, it's not very clever!"
"HAHA...*beat* FFuuck.  You."

Flawless comedic timing.  Now that's the Hazbin I remember!

Blackleaf

I was surprised to find that not all of the angels are complete dicks. Mainly just the psychopaths they send to exterminate the demons. Charlie's dad was not what I was expecting, but his design makes sense in the context of the show. Alastor also continues to surprise me. Still don't know why he disappeared for so long, but I suspect it's because he felt a lack of purpose, and Charlie's idea for a hotel to rehabilitate sinners gave him something to hope for.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 27, 2024, 10:09:04 AMI was surprised to find that not all of the angels are complete dicks. Mainly just the psychopaths they send to exterminate the demons.
The Cherubs in Helluva Boss were generally pretty nice - compassionate and trying their hardest to inspire hope.  But they're awfully judgy and have a hair trigger temper.  The other cherubs seemed superficially nice, but lacked empathy and harshly punished any rule-breaking whatsoever. 

I predict that Heaven is even more rule-heavy and close-minded.  Maybe not evil in the way that hell is - lawless and selfish - but still not a nice place due to being overly rigid and close-minded.

QuoteCharlie's dad was not what I was expecting, but his design makes sense in the context of the show.
His angelic features and apple theme are a nice departure from the standard cloven-hoofed devil.  I'm not sure why they made him short - but it's interesting that a guy who looks so unassuming is powerful as...well, hell.

Blackleaf

It seems like Emily will advocate for Charlie's idea from the other side of the fence. I'm also highly suspicious that the only reason Adam is so adamant about killing demons is because he feels cucked by Lilith leaving him for Lucifer, and the exterminations are a form of revenge for him. Just waiting for someone to call him out on it.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

The finale for Hazbin just released, and holy crap. That was interesting. I didn't see those twists coming.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Just finished it myself.  That was really amazing.  As cliche as this is, l laughed and cried.

So many Crowning Moments of Awesome.  Very unexpected outcome to say the least.  I would've gone a different way and been a LOT more brutal, though I think that would be a little bit much for this fairly wholesome and optimistic series.

I'm so glad this show got greenlit for season 2 (Viv said she's shooting for 3 seasons, though she could extend it if needed and they're already making some content for season 3 even though it's not yet a sure thing)

the_antithesis

The fucking fuck?

Unbeliever

I never thought about it before, but I guess Jack O'Lantern is of Irish extraction. 🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cassia

Watching Larry David on Max. He just can't not call people out on the shit they do. He calls out a woman using "widow privilege" when Larry knew she was divorced from the husband years before he died, LOL. The thing is, we all know people like that. They continuously abuse the kindness afforded to them, or the system. I recall an engineer bragging about how he didn't marry the mother of his child because the state would pay all her birthing medical bills. Did he think we would admire him for that when he was telling everybody how "clever" he is. I heard others talking poorly of him after that. My policy at work was to never discuss personal matters and just focus on the work at hand. It was not in my interest that I was an atheist either. That was obvious.

Hydra009

Oh my stars and garters!

I remember the original cartoon vividly and it was a core childhood memory.  Suffice it to say that I'm extremely nostalgic (not thrilled with the animation quality dip towards the end of the original run, though *slices off the top of a sedan in frustration to make it a convertible* )

So this is BIG.  Adult-geared animation has been flourishing lately, and yes, while yellow-blue spandex is a bit silly, the social themes of the 90s X-Men series are still very wise and unfortunately, still very much needed.

Unbeliever

Wow, I finally got to see the entire series of The Prisoner! I'd only seen a couple of episodes of it, decades ago, just enough to know it was interesting.
I guess it's about the most surreal show I've ever seen on TV. It was almost a bit boring at first, but it got better. The final episode was extremely weird!
I'm glad I got to see it, now for the next thing, but I don't know what that will be. Maybe some Farscape, that looks like fun.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Watched the first ep of the netflix avatar show.

It is good.
Definitely not (yet) better than the original.
But slightly different, and good.
I can see it appealing more to those who'd let something being a cartoon get in the way of enjoying this story.

It has heart.

Hoping the rest will stay this well or get even better.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mr.Obvious

The gf and I watched episode 2 too.

I´m not sure about this one.
Don´t get me wrong. It is definitely not a bad episode. And given that to retell the story they have to make changes, the ones they made, make sense.
If I uncouple from my knowledge of the original show, what I see isn't problematic. But I do know the original show by heart. And seeing that the changes in sequence of events and in characters, and in the characters of the characters... it´s got me slightly worried for some of the core beats down the Line.

Also the first live action episode spanned 2.5 episodes of the original show, plus an intro not shown in the original and some fragments of a future episode ´the storm´ plus a fragment of ´the waterbending scroll´.
Episode 2 of the live action spanned 1.5 episodes of the original, with arguably some fragment of another mid season episode, be it with a different past avatar doing the explaining and a tad from the episode 'the waterbending scroll´ as well.
But clearly less material covered in order to expand on the kyoshi warriors in general and suki and sokka´s relationship in particular.
And while I somewhat appreciate more screentime for suki and didn´t mind sokka's better attitude as much as I might have thought I would, the flow of the show did kind of miss a beat here. It was a bit too slow and clunky.

No kataang moments in episode 1 nor 2 either. Where there was a clear interest from the get go from aang´s point of view, in the original. But... that is fine. I honestly think if you find a way to get around one obstacle in season 2, you don´t really need kataang to have a worthy retelling. It was cute in the original, but romance has never been the forte of ´avatar´.

So, over all: Still liked it. The fights look good. (Not a big fan of everybody being able to actually fly effortlessly all of a sudden, in this retelling though.) Aang isn´t only mopy, he tries to be a happy child. Most of the actors do a good job.  The heart is still in the right place.
But... pacing is mostly what worries me now.

Blackleaf

Still think they should have done something new, with a previous avatar we know little to nothing about. When you do a remake, everyone watching it is just comparing it to the original, and it's almost almost impossible to live up to that.
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

There is something to be said for that. For sure. Doing a kuruk or seconds prequel show or something.
Szeto´s show could be a mixture of atla, the office and game of thrones. As he was an avatar burocrat who unified the fire nation´s clans.

We saw episode 3.
This took from, if I am not mistake, ´the king of omashu´, ´the northern airtemple´, ´jet´, set up from ´the winter solstice´, a Dash of ´the waterbending scroll´, a hint of ´imprisonmentn and provided a new introduction to three female characters more linked to season two and beyond in the original show.

I was happy to see them pay homage to the running joke.
Great actor choice for the mechanic.
Not sold on the actrice and direction of azula though. She seemed more bratty than calculating sociopath.

More source material helped the flow of the episode. Though it wasn't flawless.
Dialogue a bit on the nose too.
But again, overall, pretty good.
Does make me long to watch the original show again, though.