News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

#1305
Finished ´dexter: new blood´
I feel like I know where it was headed. Still not dissapointed, somehow.
Good show.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Doing a little media archaeology -- I've been watching Gerry Anderson's "UFO" and I had forgotten how much plain old fashioned fun that show was.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

#1307
Finally got around to catching up with Rick and Morty. IMO, this season contains some of the best episodes of the series so far. It's very fun and self-aware. In the previous season (I think), the characters had this meta thing going on, centered on the conflict between making serialized episodes versus episodic, and this season does a similar thing. Although each episode is mostly self-contained, elements of past episodes do pop up later, and the finale builds on the lore more. One negative of this season, IMO, is that while it is fun, the logic of the show's universe seems to be breaking down a bit. It was my impression that the things Rick and Morty encountered were considered weird by normal human standards, but people outside of the Sanchez family don't seem phased by any of the weirdness going on. There's a Captain Planet ripoff character who's just around. Not as just a TV show character, but as a real person who flies around stopping forest fires. There's an underground society of horse people. This seems to be common knowledge. The new kid in town is shown the interdimensional TV, and he doesn't seem impressed.

We also get Rick's backstory shown to us, so that we'd "finally shut up about it." But it actually leaves me with some questions, ironically. I don't know if missed something there or what.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

Hydra009

#1308
Quote from: Blackleaf on January 19, 2022, 07:44:44 PMOne negative of this season, IMO, is that while it is fun, the logic of the show's universe seems to be breaking down a bit. It was my impression that the things Rick and Morty encountered were considered weird by normal human standards, but people outside of the Sanchez family don't seem phased by any of the weirdness going on. There's a Captain Planet ripoff character who's just around. Not as just a TV show character, but as a real person who flies around stopping forest fires. There's an underground society of horse people. This seems to be common knowledge. The new kid in town in shown the interdimensional TV, and he doesn't seem impressed.
Good point.  Didn't think about the masquarade-breaking incidents.  I suppose someone in the writers' room is going to have to jump in a vat of acid.  Don't worry, I hear one of them is acid-proof, so it should be a cakewalk.

QuoteWe also get Rick's backstory shown to us, so that we'd "finally shut up about it." But it actually leaves me with some questions, ironically. I don't know if missed something there or what.
Same here.  From what I've gathered, every universe we've seen in the show so far is deliberately one that has a Rick and where a Rick (not sure which one) is the smartest being in this subset of universes - the central finite curve - and Rick is truly the most powerful being in these universes (which seems counterintuitive given how often Ricks get killed).

What we will see in the future are universes that no longer follow this pattern, where Rick is not on top - a true threat to Rick's dominance.  Also, these universes - this Beyond - will likely consist of far more alien ...umm...aliens.  (I swear, Jerry didn't write this post)

Suffice it to say that we're likely to encounter stuff that needs a mnemonic device.

Cassia

TV was on. I wasn't paying attention much, doing other things. Some "house-hunting-couple" shows were running serially and every time I looked-up and listened-in there was a Karen complaining about wallpaper or carpet.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on January 19, 2022, 08:52:25 PM
TV was on. I wasn't paying attention much, doing other things. Some "house-hunting-couple" shows were running serially and every time I looked-up and listened-in there was a Karen complaining about wallpaper or carpet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

the_antithesis

Quote from: trdsf on January 15, 2022, 02:13:09 AM
Doing a little media archaeology -- I've been watching Gerry Anderson's "UFO" and I had forgotten how much plain old fashioned fun that show was.

Been meaning to watch that one because of the superficial connection to the film Moon Zero Two. Namely space wigs.

drunkenshoe

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Shiranu

QuoteIt was my impression that the things Rick and Morty encountered were considered weird by normal human standards, but people outside of the Sanchez family don't seem phased by any of the weirdness going on.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a clue that we aren't with "our" Rick anymore; also wouldn't be surprised if it was 100% accidental and they just say that to look smart.
Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

drunkenshoe

#1314
It also could be that Rick and Morty's creators are sick of a certain group of young men scrutinizing the show to interpret reality, and write post around in social media why everyone else is stupid and they are the only one who can correctly understand/ comment on the show. :lol:
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 24, 2022, 02:12:04 PM
It also could be that Rick and Morty's creators are sick of a certain group of young men scrutinizing the show to interpret reality, and write post around in social media why everyone else is stupid and they are the only one who can't correctly understand/ comment on the show. :lol:

That sounds remarkably on-brand for Harmond, but you also woman and wouldn't understand his galaxy brain writing so it's probably just all part of his plan to trick you 'cause he smart like that and it takes a special mind to realize his genius.
Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on January 24, 2022, 02:31:26 PM
That sounds remarkably on-brand for Harmond, but you also woman and wouldn't understand his galaxy brain writing so it's probably just all part of his plan to trick you 'cause he smart like that and it takes a special mind to realize his genius.

Oh I see. But I remember them giving a reaction together to that specific idiocy that you need to be gifted to understand a mainstream show. :lol: Oh gawd...
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 25, 2022, 01:03:32 AM
Oh I see. But I remember them giving a reaction together to that specific idiocy that you need to be gifted to understand a mainstream show. :lol: Oh gawd...

Oh, they are certainly "gifted" though.



Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

Mr.Obvious

Watched the first season of ´barry´.
Didn´t know anything about it, but it was great.
Especially funny if you are a theaternerd.
Special bland of dark and funny.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

#1319
After watching a ton of Star Wars series lately (Clone Wars, Bad Batch, Mandalorian season 2, Book of Boba Fett/Mandalorian season 3) I have the following announcement to make:

The Jedi are bigtime POSes (except Kenobi, he's cool) and fully deserved all the bad things that happened to them.  Their order deserves to be dismantled and the galaxy is better off without them.

But Hydra, they seem nice and heroic, why do you dislike them so much?  Sure, they've done good things during war.  But look at how they operate during peacetime.

1) They kidnap kids and indoctrinate them.  They essentially brainwash kids and train them to be child soldiers.
2) The secret creation of test-tube soldiers, essentially slave warriors, by the Jedi Order.  No authority within the Republic authorized this, not did Republic citizens consent to this.
3) Backwards beliefs like their policy of non-attachment creates a stunted emotional life and leads directly to a lot of interpersonal problems and emotional hardship.
4) Luke and Ahsoka are shown to be emotionally manipulative, actively keeping a dad from seeing his adopted son and the son from seeing the dad.  Shameful!
5) Political power not derived from the people.
6) Interference in galactic affairs without the consent of the people they supposedly represent.  See above.
7) Said interence is often for their own benefit, protecting the Jedi order is top priority.  Exhibit A: the attempted murder of The Chancellor instead of following due process.
8) Whatever heroism they show is often to ingratiate themselves with a high official, like Queen Amidala or Duchess Satine and then expecting preferential treatment in the future.  And let's just say that these relationships are not strictly professional.
9) False accusations towards Ahsoka Tano and poor, unjust treatment of her and likely other padawans.

- a concerned Mandalorian