What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

SiriusXM finally got around to adding streaming to the base subscription without an upcharge, so I've been mostly on the 24x7 Grateful Dead channel of course.  Occasional jumps to the Jazz and Phish channels.  Other ones on permanent favorite status are the Beatles channel, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Radio Classics (Old-Time Radio like The Shadow, the Jack Benny show, etc), PGA Tour Radio, Progress (left-wing talk), BBC World Service, MSNBC, 60s on 6, 70s on 7, NPR, Met Opera, 40's Junction, Bluesville, Symphony Hall, Carlin's Corner, Tom Petty's Buried Treasure, and SiriusXM Pops.

I've had XM for almost 15 years now, long before the merger (and I still think of it as XM, not SiriusXM); I really do recommend it.  Unless you hate all audio, there's at least one channel for everyone on there.

So what I'm listening to right now is Charles Lloyd's version of 'Mood Indigo'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 11, 2019, 08:18:39 PM
SiriusXM finally got around to adding streaming to the base subscription without an upcharge, so I've been mostly on the 24x7 Grateful Dead channel of course.  Occasional jumps to the Jazz and Phish channels.  Other ones on permanent favorite status are the Beatles channel, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Radio Classics (Old-Time Radio like The Shadow, the Jack Benny show, etc), PGA Tour Radio, Progress (left-wing talk), BBC World Service, MSNBC, 60s on 6, 70s on 7, NPR, Met Opera, 40's Junction, Bluesville, Symphony Hall, Carlin's Corner, Tom Petty's Buried Treasure, and SiriusXM Pops.

I've had XM for almost 15 years now, long before the merger (and I still think of it as XM, not SiriusXM); I really do recommend it.  Unless you hate all audio, there's at least one channel for everyone on there.

So what I'm listening to right now is Charles Lloyd's version of 'Mood Indigo'.

Back in the late 70s, there was a station playing "The Album Sound", which meant they played an album straight through both sides.  But one day at midnight, they changed formats (were bought) and the new station had only 2 songs they played 24/7 for several days.  'White Rabbit' and 'Stairway To Heaven'. 

They got better (I assume they bought some CD collection).  And I loved them.

But I really missed the previous station playing all the songs of one album at a time...  There were good songs on them that weren't so popular, but that I liked.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 10, 2019, 06:53:07 PM
For the last several years I've listened to audiobooks more than music. It's a good way to "read" when reading isn't an option. Right now I'm listening to "The Big Picture On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself". It's one of the best books going IMHO.

Author?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Hijiri Byakuren

I submit this as evidence that symphonic metal is the superior genre of music. Superior to what, you ask? Everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zuftG67C4w
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO2va4SBlc

Sometimes Google algorithm does something interesting.  After listening to my selection, it came up with this.  Great early modern jam.  Usually it just brings up stuff I have already listened to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 27, 2019, 11:15:44 PM
I submit this as evidence that symphonic metal is the superior genre of music. Superior to what, you ask? Everything.

I like that style of music, as I enjoy most instrumental music.  But I found the image mattered too.  When I closed my eyes, I found the music didn't seem quite as good. Usually, I like music better with closed eyes for focusing on just the sound.

Baruch

More good Google algorithm …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6khYNpnS4

Athanasius Kircher was an opponent of Galileo, and the first modern to attempt to understand hieroglyphs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 04:03:56 AM
More good Google algorithm …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6khYNpnS4

Athanasius Kircher was an opponent of Galileo, and the first modern to attempt to understand hieroglyphs.

I find it hard to dislike anything involving a harp.  And BTW, I'm listening the the local classic music station...

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2019, 01:25:36 PM
A little more Zappa:

I always smile remembering that wall poster; "Phi Zappa Crappa"...