News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 29, 2020, 07:21:24 AM
Can't help but feel that Lucas only worked in the old days when he didn't have complete control, since his complete control lead to episodes 1,2 and 3, and adding cgi bs into the originals

Success ruined him.  Like so many others.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2020, 11:38:45 AM
Success ruined him.  Like so many others.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 29, 2020, 11:52:50 AM
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Digital media are less stable than celluloid.  His sins will be forgotten, and then he will be Legend.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on January 29, 2020, 07:21:24 AM
Can't help but feel that Lucas only worked in the old days when he didn't have complete control, since his complete control lead to episodes 1,2 and 3, and adding cgi bs into the originals
Oh, you can go back even earlier.  His 1971 version of THX 1138 still stands out in my mind, even though I haven't seen the 1971 version in over 40 years -- I refuse to see the "digitally enhanced" version.

It wasn't power that corrupted Lucas, it was money and protecting a franchise.  Time was when he genuinely was a gifted film maker.  The original 1977 Star Wars, he had no idea what kind of a phenomenon he was creating, so he could just throw himself completely into it.  The only thing he was counting on was his study of Joseph Campbell and the way Western society is known to react to the kinds of tropes he was working with.  Empire Strikes Back he still had more or less a free hand even though he wasn't directing anymore, because he didn't yet know if the series could support sequels.

But by the time Return of the Jedi was made, it was a financial empire to be protected at all costs, rather than an artistic expression -- or even just a good old fashioned roller-coaster ride of an adventure movie.  And that's when it stopped being fun.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Every time I see "Okay Boomer" I remember that the speaker was just semen in somebody's vagina when I was having fun out here.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

I feel like you'd be less upset if you knew the full context of that joke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Brbrdnh74yA

Gawdzilla Sama

Or still disdainful of lame attempts at insulting people. You have to give someone permission to piss you off before it can happen. G'luck with that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 30, 2020, 01:06:29 PM
Or still disdainful of lame attempts at insulting people. You have to give someone permission to piss you off before it can happen. G'luck with that.

Okay boomer.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

Okay, I guess I have to outright tell you.

The phrase is being used in an ironic sense - first by a comparitively older guy to ingratiate himself with a younger crowd (the joke is that he's clueless and socially awkward) and the second time in a genuinely sinister manner (the absurdity of it as a parting shot is what makes it funny here)

But no more explaining from here on out, okay boomer?

Gawdzilla Sama

Wasn't necessary (or important) to explain it the first  time.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 30, 2020, 12:30:26 PM
Every time I see "Okay Boomer" I remember that the speaker was just semen in somebody's vagina when I was having fun out here.

I have a buddy called Boomer, so I bet he hears that phrase a lot!  LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman